Stupid ticking/knocking after timing belt install! - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com > DSM Tech Central > Help! Tech

DSMTalk.com is the premier Mitsubishi Eclipse Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-02-2007, 11:46 PM   #1
DSM_Zak
DSMtalker

94' Eclipse GSX
DSM_Zak's Gallery
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Stupid ticking/knocking after timing belt install!

OK,
So heres the Story.
First off -- My names Zak, own a 94 GSX and Ive been a part of this site but havn't posted much.

Anyway, I let my friend from work borrow my car after he did a tranny swap on his car and the junkyard tranny failed. So while I was at work, and he got off early I let him borrow my car to go tell his girlfriend he was off work and to follow him to drop my car back off (he couldnt call her because her cell phone was broken or lost can't remember) So he gets back and drops my car off and says thanks bro, I'll shoot you some gas money tomarrow and left. No big deal, just helping out a friend. No problem. Well I get my car back and it seems to run with a vibration. Oil pressure was not right, and I was pissed. So I start going in 1st, seems ok. 2nd gear and its got a balance shaft vibration.

So I told him about it, and confronted him, he said "oh well I drove it point A-B. I didnt hit more than 7psi of boost" (as I told him not to rip on it). So after taking the timing cover off, I saw the balancer belt was completly stripped of all teeth it ever had. Well I called him and told him he owed me $25 for a new belt that he had broken as my car was driving perfectly when I got to work that morning. He agreed to pay for it so I went to the stealership and picked one up.

Long story short, I got the belt on, and after having everything timed, I was rotating everything over to double triple and quadruple check it and saw that my timing belt had a cut in it now on the edge of it about a 1/4 of an inch into the belt. So I was pissed and decided to replace it as I was right there anyway. (I bought the car with 120k on it and the Tbelt had been replaced 10k before that at 110k -- currently it has 135k on it, so the belt didnt need replacing) Well I went back to the stealership and bought a new timing belt as well. My water pump had already been done at 125k so it was good to go. After I got the new timing belt and balancer belt on, and everything was all back together, I started the car, and I hear a lound ticking/knocking coming from (it seems) the backside of the block. I checked everything, and couldn't see anything. The rear balance shaft is in time (checked using the screwdriver method) crank is in time, cams are good, now for the hard part. the front balance shaft gear is in time, but can it be 180 degrees out? It's perfectly in time, and since the bad belt threw that off and was giving me a vibration, I knew it was out of whack so I just turned it back to the timing mark when putting the new belt on.

If the sprocket is in time and IS NOT possible to be 180degrees out (I know that the rear one can be) then is has to be something rubbing or hitting behind the timing cover (I'll be taking it all back apart tomarrow anyways)

If the sprocket on the front balance shaft CAN be 180 degrees out, how do you check if it is or not?
I know Vfaq calls it a "silent shaft" sprocket does that mean it cannot be 180 out no matter what way you turn it as long as it is aligned with the timing mark?

I'm stumped to what this damn noise is!
All the belts are snug (not too loose or tight)
nothing SEEMS to be rubbing
It has to be something I just did on that side of the motor as I just replaced the timing components.

I know, I know -- just eliminate the shafts, I just don't have that much time to tackle that big of a project right now.

Thanks in advance for the help everyone!

-Zak

P.S. Motor is a 6 bolt with 155 on all 4 cylinders. It's NOT lifters.

Last edited by DSM_Zak; 11-02-2007 at 11:50 PM.
DSM_Zak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2007, 07:36 AM   #2
Stephen
Senior Moderator

1995 Talon TSi AWD
Stephen's Gallery
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Re: Stupid ticking/knocking after timing belt install!

If the gear matches up to the timing marks that can't be it. I would make take the cover off, inspect everything. I know a broken timing cover will make noise. A bad hydraulic tensioner will make a klacking noise as it runs, and even a bad harmonic balancer as well as just about everything else. Unfortunately the only thing to do is to take it apart and observe. I usually will put the pulleys back on and run the car with the timing cover off so i can visually check that everything is working as it should be, then rip the pullies off and put the cover on.

P.S.
NEVER, EVER, EVER LET ANYONE(Not even Jesus) BORROW YOUR DSM!
I've owned my car since october 2001, and the only people who have ever drove it was the guy pulling it in to inspect it with me standing hawk. Never let yours dsm out of site with someone at the wheel!
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 10:44 AM   #3
DSM_Zak
DSMtalker

94' Eclipse GSX
DSM_Zak's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen
P.S.
NEVER, EVER, EVER LET ANYONE(Not even Jesus) BORROW YOUR DSM!
I've owned my car since october 2001, and the only people who have ever drove it was the guy pulling it in to inspect it with me standing hawk. Never let yours dsm out of site with someone at the wheel!
Lesson deffinitly learned!
Just trying to be a good citizen and help out a friend in need and I get f**ked
Old 11-03-2007, 11:07 AM   #4
945liter
New DSMtalker

Ford mustang GT 1994
945liter's Gallery

Lesson learned i see i let my friend borrow my dsm before and i heard him spinning a block away never again no one.
945liter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 11:07 AM   #5
robcatch
Hardcore DSMtalker

97 talon tsi awd
robcatch's Gallery
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

If your balance shaft belt broke It was most likely in need of replacement anyway. I would not point fingers anywhere but at yourself. If I were you I would have replaced ALL of your timing components. Sounds like you need it.

The nightmare continues..
robcatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 11:17 AM   #6
BIG_brother
DSMtalker

Eagle/Talon TSI/1990
BIG_brother's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by robcatch
If your balance shaft belt broke It was most likely in need of replacement anyway. I would not point fingers anywhere but at yourself. If I were you I would have replaced ALL of your timing components. Sounds like you need it.
Amen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
BIG_brother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 03:00 PM   #7
fanaticdsm-er
Hardcore DSMtalker

1997 mitsubishi gs-t
fanaticdsm-er's Gallery
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Cmon man never ever let someone drive that sexy beast in your driveway. its worse than letting someone borrow your girl or wife for a night
fanaticdsm-er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 03:54 PM   #8
taylor hindman
DSMtalker

92 eagle talon 6 bolt
taylor hindman's Gallery

the rear ballance shaft spun a bearing because it happend to a freind of mine. is your oil pump good and duse it stop knoking past 2,000 rpm if it duse you are going to have alot of fun.
taylor hindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 05:57 AM   #9
DSMowner1992
New DSMtalker

Eagle Talon 1992
DSMowner1992's Gallery

I let a friend borrow mine to run home and change after work, and I know it ran fine and then the next morning it was running on 3 cylinders. I agree never let anyone else drive your DSM.
DSMowner1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 01:57 PM   #10
DSM_Zak
DSMtalker

94' Eclipse GSX
DSM_Zak's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor hindman
the rear ballance shaft spun a bearing because it happend to a freind of mine. is your oil pump good and duse it stop knoking past 2,000 rpm if it duse you are going to have alot of fun.
You are absolutly right my man!
after thinking the front balance shaft was 180 out, I took the balancer belt off and noticed a slight amount of play in the front sprocket for the balance shaft. I have over $100 worth of parts coming to do the eliminator kit. I'm thinking with the car being drivin and the balance shaft out of whack it screwed up the bearing(s).

Second thought just for a piece of mine I pulled the rear plug off of the backside of the block and noticed the plug was too long and the tip had been ground off a little by the balance shaft! so I made it shorter and put it back in.

I'm hoping that this eliminator kit not just solves my problem but isn't that much of a P.I.T.A. to do. Anyone know how to drop the motor down a bit to have the front balance shaft clear the frame? I know removing the crossmember and disconnecting the driveline and x-fer case may allow a little extra play but whats the easiest way to do it?

Has anyone done the eliminator kit and have any tips or tricks that vfaq may not have touched on that I may need to know? Any help would be awsome!

Thanks guys.
-Zak
Old 11-04-2007, 02:00 PM   #11
DSM_Zak
DSMtalker

94' Eclipse GSX
DSM_Zak's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by robcatch
I also had the reciepts from when the owner had it and the timing belt was done. Although it may have been done I don't think the idiots replaced the balancer belt, so Now it looks like I'm taking the balancer belt back to Mitsu and just ended up doing a new timing belt and eliminator kit. The next 40K I will be redoing every component on that side of the block including a new upper and lower cover.
Old 11-05-2007, 09:21 AM   #12
Ronnie Size
DSMtalker

96 Talon TSi
Ronnie Size's Gallery

I'd take both belts off and see if you can turn both balance shafts by hand. Sounds like one might have seized causing the initial break anyways. Good time to remove them

Also doesn't sound like it matters that your friend was driving it, as it would've happened regardless when you were driving it.

A tid bit of advice, if you have a sports car, and you let someone drive it, THEY WILL BEAT ON IT. Period. If you can't handle that (or your dsm cant handle that) than don't let someone borrow it. I've let people borrow my dsms, but I just expect they will beat on it, bottom line.
Ronnie Size is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 11:16 AM   #13
DSM_Zak
DSMtalker

94' Eclipse GSX
DSM_Zak's Gallery

so after taking everything apart, the bearing on the front balance shaft was out of its seat and just hanging on the shaft in the middle of nowhere. God I'm lucky. The only thing vfaq didnt touch on was removing the alternator. All I have left to do is pull the shafts out, waiting for parts to get here, should be here wednesday from extremepsi.

overall not that difficult to do.
Eh, atleast now the balance shafts are out. Never have this problem again.

Ronnie Size - You are right they will beat on it, I know that. But when telling someone not to, they have a guilty conscience when they are, and if they break it then they feel liable and like "oh shit hes going to know now" and just fess up. Rather than not saying anything it all, leaving the door open, and they can choose if they want to or not and they don't feel that they are going against the owners will. Hell, I've borrowed peoples cars and I dont beat on it.

Second note, I told him how much the eliminator kit and all the gasket were and hes like, don't worry bro, I'll come give you some cash friday $110. So he knows something happened.

DONT EVER LET PEOPLE BORROW YOUR CAR!
Old 11-07-2007, 10:56 AM   #14
robcatch
Hardcore DSMtalker

97 talon tsi awd
robcatch's Gallery
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSM_Zak
DONT EVER LET PEOPLE BORROW YOUR CAR!
How does this have anything to do with him borrowing your car? It was bound to happen. If it wasn't him it would have been you.

-1 for you making him pay. You are a shitty friend.

The nightmare continues..
robcatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 08:08 PM   #15
DSM_Zak
DSMtalker

94' Eclipse GSX
DSM_Zak's Gallery

Morals of life.

If you borrow something in acertain condition, it shall be returned in as good if not BETTER condition.

I finally got him to fess. He was racing a 450hp Evo:-/ then he said he grabbed 4th and it was vibrating and making a wierd sound.

if it were to happen or not, he was still driving it when it went. If it was his car, I would pay for it knowing I could have prevented it. "racing" yeah, maybe if he was just DRIVING the car like I told him to then I would tell him not to worry about it. Me and him have a thing of "if you break it, you buy it" because we've drivin eachothers cars before. No biggie. I got my $110 worth of crap today from extremepsi.com very good customer service and shipped as I expected. everything was there well packed. I will take pictures of the bearing and let everyone see what the "noise" was.

Last edited by DSM_Zak; 11-07-2007 at 08:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement