F1 gripforce clutch? - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com > DSM Tech Central > Transmission Tech > Manual Transmission Tech

DSMTalk.com is the premier Mitsubishi Eclipse Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-12-2008, 07:30 PM   #1
Folly67
DSMtalker

97 gst sypder
Folly67's Gallery
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
F1 gripforce clutch?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...203017120&rd=1

Does anyone have experience with this clutch? I'm not looking to make a buttload of HP but I want something better than the stock clutch incase I decide to upgrade. I'm also looking at XTD/XTR but have heard some bad reviews. BTW I'm poor, so ACT and CF is out. I'm taking out my ACT now and would like to reuse it but, the fingers are worn from the TOB.

Thank,

Travis
Folly67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2008, 08:57 PM   #2
The_EE
Elite DSMtalker

07 Dodge Caliber
The_EE's Gallery
Feedback Score: 61 reviews
Re: F1 gripforce clutch?

I would suggest Clutch Masters as I have had no problems with them at all. They also supply you with a OEM Throwout bearing as well.

What kind of Mods do you have? Clutch Masters sells their FX100 for approx $175 before tax and shipping. Its a pretty good clutch and can get you to about 270 whp before you need to upgrade.
Ex owner of a 97 GSX: Built 7-Bolt | 1g race head | Evo 3 mani / stock o2 | 3" GM MAF | 1g TB | JMFab SMIM | FIC 950cc | 255 Rewired | HKS 272 | Fidanza cam gears | BW 57 Trim | DSMLINK V3 | Fluidampr pully | 3" N1 | AEM WB | QM Twin Disk | DSS Drive Shaft | Eibach pro's | Nitto Invo's | 11.85 @ 130.18 on E-85 - 3582r
Rule #7 Impoorved Spelings! - With high HP comes great Responsibility (Take it to the track!)
If you want 300-400hp read this first
The_EE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 09:25 PM   #3
Folly67
DSMtalker

97 gst sypder
Folly67's Gallery

Right now, just free mods,Injen Intake, 2.5" turbo back, UIC+TB pipes, 1g bov, guages, logger that I can't get to work (another thread). When the tax return comes around I'm look at Safc 660s and a 14b-16g.
Old 01-12-2008, 09:29 PM   #4
The_EE
Elite DSMtalker

07 Dodge Caliber
The_EE's Gallery
Feedback Score: 61 reviews

Try calling up clutch masters on Monday and see what they can do for you. I would really stay away from those Ebay brand clutches, you have no recourse if things dont work.

1-909-877-6800
Ex owner of a 97 GSX: Built 7-Bolt | 1g race head | Evo 3 mani / stock o2 | 3" GM MAF | 1g TB | JMFab SMIM | FIC 950cc | 255 Rewired | HKS 272 | Fidanza cam gears | BW 57 Trim | DSMLINK V3 | Fluidampr pully | 3" N1 | AEM WB | QM Twin Disk | DSS Drive Shaft | Eibach pro's | Nitto Invo's | 11.85 @ 130.18 on E-85 - 3582r
Rule #7 Impoorved Spelings! - With high HP comes great Responsibility (Take it to the track!)
If you want 300-400hp read this first
The_EE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 09:26 PM   #5
Folly67
DSMtalker

97 gst sypder
Folly67's Gallery

Just wondering, what are the advantages/disadvantages of a segmented disc like this? Will it wear faster then a basic street disc?
Old 01-18-2008, 10:27 AM   #6
project_tsi
DSMtalker

93 Eclipse GSX
project_tsi's Gallery
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

No, it should just allow for less slip and more grip vs. a street disk.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:42 PM   #7
MikaelAMG
New DSMtalker

91 Eclipse GSX
MikaelAMG's Gallery

You'd be very happy with it. I run an XTD "Stage 3," its a six puck ceramic. It can be a little chattery until you get used to it.
MikaelAMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 05:16 PM   #8
spyderfast
New DSMtalker

1992 plymouth laser rs
spyderfast's Gallery

I just ordered a f1 stage II clutch/disk for $124.00 by phone + 18 for regular shipping but my shipping came to 160 with parts because I needed a rush 3 day delivery to Florida. After talking with the guys there twice, I felt pretty good about the deal. I could have easily gone for the clutch,disk,flywheel combo for $278.00, but I decided to go with a new oem flywheel for $57.00 and the F1 Stage II kit (clutch,disk,oem TOB) for the $124.00 plus my extra shipping from CA to FL in 3 days. Advanced auto parts practically stocks or next delivers a oem kit ($132.xx) no core but this is without the flywheel obviously. I am going to direct compare the oem kit to the F1 kit. Close inspection should settle some of the questions. But, think about this. I just blew an ACT 2100 clutch and it fried my stock flywheel. I didn't even really kill it by driving it hard, the clutch disc was not properly releasing and it overheated while in 1st gear. How did this happen? Too much pedal pressure! (oem pedal even with extended rod or oem rod would not release fully the clutch )([ I really think the clutch is a good clutch and worth the money, but you had better be prepared for dealing with new master cylinders and slave cylinders and clutch pedal adjustments. Do not forget to make sure not only in the clutch for not just bent, but the fulcrum ball has not warn away the inside of the fork. Check the inside of the fork and you won't believe how bad that pivot point can wear inside the fork. It can make the for so sloppy that when you have the tranny installed with prothane mounts and the clutch rubber fork guide you might not notice anything but that you have to put the pedal all the way to the floor pan to get shifting smooth. This is a bad sign. Be careful My point is that I would rather run this F1 stage II and be humble than run an ACT 2100+ clutch unless I were ready to deal with possible clutch pedal assembly wear, busted flywheel and more torture on your drivetrain. So, I am going down from an ACT clutch to the modest stage II. If it is as real as the stats are, then I should be able to enjoy this clutch without dealing with the definite know oem issue clutch and not make a juicer machine out of my tranny /bellhousing. Again, I need street drivability without having to stand up through the sunroof to push the clutch pedal down. So, if anyone wants to know how this swap goes, I'll let you know via my email. Thank you for the time in reading this.
spyderfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement