TPS, How do you tell if is bad or not? - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com > DSM Tech Central > Help! Tech

DSMTalk.com is the premier Mitsubishi Eclipse Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 06-09-2008, 06:53 PM   #1
Atlantic cdn
New DSMtalker

93 Talon Awd Auto
Atlantic cdn's Gallery
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
TPS, How do you tell if is bad or not?

I have just completed a complete engine build and a trans replacement with a rebuild. Right away I got trans error codes 12&14. 12 being ecessive small tps output, and 14 improperly adjusted tps. I have erased the codes and now only get 14. Also the car is in limp mode.
But this is my problem. I followed the instructions from from one of the links I found on this site how to adjust. Useing the instructions testing terminal 1&4 on the tps I should have 5k ohms at the closed position, but I have 4.04k ohms. The next step was to move to terminal 2&4 and it should be .9 k ohms closed, mine was .53, and it should read 5k ohms at the wide open position, but mine is 4.36. I can get it to .9k ohms by turning the tps almost all the way clockwise but can't get it to the 5k ohms.
This does'nt change anything, and it makes the safc show about 2% when it should read 0.
Does this mean the tps went bad?
Atlantic cdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2008, 07:36 PM   #2
boostedjess
New DSMtalker

'91 Talon TSi
boostedjess's Gallery
Re: TPS, How do you tell if is bad or not?

Not necessarily. I always go by voltage. should be like .5 at closed and 4.5 to 5 volts wot. Could just swap with a known good one and go from there. Could be in the wiring too.
boostedjess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 08:01 PM   #3
Stephen
Senior Moderator

1995 Talon TSi AWD
Stephen's Gallery
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

make sure you have the tps facing the correct direction. check www.vfaq.com there is a page on how to test your tps.
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 10:36 PM   #4
bertrenolds5
Hardcore DSMtalker

91 Eagle Talon TSI GST
bertrenolds5's Gallery

Did you buy the tps new? I had sort of the same problem with a new tps I bought from advanced, I could never get it to read 5k or get to .9k and be bolted down. My advice is to get a used sensor from someone on this forum. Try v faqs testing http://www.vfaq.com/index-main.html under intake it's tps adjustments, it doesnt say anything about using 2 and 3 together, I believe you always keep a plug on #1. If you are still having bad readings get a new used tps.
bertrenolds5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 02:25 PM   #5
Atlantic cdn
New DSMtalker

93 Talon Awd Auto
Atlantic cdn's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertrenolds5
Did you buy the tps new? I had sort of the same problem with a new tps I bought from advanced, I could never get it to read 5k or get to .9k and be bolted down. My advice is to get a used sensor from someone on this forum. Try v faqs testing http://www.vfaq.com/index-main.html under intake it's tps adjustments, it doesnt say anything about using 2 and 3 together, I believe you always keep a plug on #1. If you are still having bad readings get a new used tps.
No I have'nt bought a new tps yet.
I guess I did'nt really explained what I did too well. The instructions I read was to test plug 1 and 4 to get 5k ohms(mine is 4k), but opening the throttle does'nt change anything while testing on terminal 1. Move to 2 and 4 to get the .9k and 5k at full throttle (mine is .53k and 4.36k).
Parts for these old cars are getting hard to find used, at least around here. The value of steel is high, so many are getting crushed.
Atlantic cdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 01:24 PM   #6
bertrenolds5
Hardcore DSMtalker

91 Eagle Talon TSI GST
bertrenolds5's Gallery

You have to adjust it as close to .9k with jumper 2 and 4 as possible then bolt it down, can you rotate it to .9k and still be able to bolt it down? If not you need a new tps, if so then open the throttle all the way and see if you get 5.xx something and you are good. If you need a new tps, get one off someone here for around $20 shiped I would say.

Last edited by bertrenolds5; 06-11-2008 at 01:28 PM.
bertrenolds5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement