5 reasons NOT to weld your diff - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com > DSM Tech Central > Transmission Tech > Manual Transmission Tech

DSMTalk.com is the premier Mitsubishi Eclipse Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 09-15-2008, 03:08 AM   #1
damnDSM
DSMtalker

'95GST, '95TSi, '95Benz
damnDSM's Gallery
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
5 reasons NOT to weld your diff

I recently welded the stock differential in my 2g GST. I have never really been able to find information on this subject but all of the "wise" people say "dont do it, trust me"

Since I haven't been able to find any information on it, I decided to do; 'The Top 5 reasons NOT to weld your differential'

5.) A welded differential makes the diver side and passenger side tire fight the asphault when turning, resulting is premature tire wear.

4.) Turning also puts a lot of stress on the CV joints and axles. I have already had to replace both axles. One of them only had 10,000mi on it, the other half shafts mileage was unknown. The new axles (Autozone) are already clicking under hard, slow turns and all right hand turns over 15MPH.

3.) Your turning radius gets WAY worse. You can forget about making those u-turns that you were already having problems making. It jerks and shakes during u-turns anyhow, it makes for a pretty unpleasant ride.

2.) I am pretty sure that the added tension from the welded diff daily driving has also caused my lower ball joints to go out but then again, they could be the factory ones from 1995?

1.) The power steering rack hasn't handled the abuse very well. I recently started hearing a clunking noise when I would go over bumps. As the clunking got louder, I started to notice a little wheel hop while driving on wet roads. The power steering rack has got almost 1/2" in it and I can move my tire from side to side

If you have the money, and you plan to turn your steering wheel while on the street... save up and buy a quaife or kazz. If your budget is as low as mine, and you need your car to get to your job OR if you plan on towing your car to the track... the do it.

Best ET: 12.63@108mph with a 1.85 60' on 19-20psi with a td05h
but 60' of that night was a 1.78 but I broke 2 teeth off of my stock differential (and I didn't have a replacement, hence my welded diff, and this thread

Launch: 5750rpm [Hard] (DSMLink)
Tires: MT Drag ETs (12-13psi)

If I didn't drive the GST everyday, I might not mind it as much but it has gotten really old, and it will greatly reduce my resale if I don't replace it before someone test drives it.

Other than those things, the traction is awesome.

Last edited by damnDSM; 09-15-2008 at 03:15 AM.
damnDSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2008, 05:26 AM   #2
The_EE
Elite DSMtalker

07 Dodge Caliber
The_EE's Gallery
Feedback Score: 61 reviews
Re: 5 reasons NOT to weld your diff

Check your inner and outter tie rods for the clunk.
Ex owner of a 97 GSX: Built 7-Bolt | 1g race head | Evo 3 mani / stock o2 | 3" GM MAF | 1g TB | JMFab SMIM | FIC 950cc | 255 Rewired | HKS 272 | Fidanza cam gears | BW 57 Trim | DSMLINK V3 | Fluidampr pully | 3" N1 | AEM WB | QM Twin Disk | DSS Drive Shaft | Eibach pro's | Nitto Invo's | 11.85 @ 130.18 on E-85 - 3582r
Rule #7 Impoorved Spelings! - With high HP comes great Responsibility (Take it to the track!)
If you want 300-400hp read this first
The_EE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 04:15 PM   #3
damnDSM
DSMtalker

'95GST, '95TSi, '95Benz
damnDSM's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_EE
Check your inner and outter tie rods for the clunk.
I just went back out and checked the passenger wheel again (it was pitch black out side last time) and that is exactly what it is EE. Good call.
Old 09-16-2008, 12:28 PM   #4
ihatemyhonda
New DSMtalker

90 Talon TSI
ihatemyhonda's Gallery
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I personally don't mind driving with a welded center diff and I drive over 120 miles daily. Once you get used to it, it's not too bad. In all honesty though when I first drove it with the welded center diff I hated it.
ihatemyhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 12:32 PM   #5
Sean485
Senior Moderator

99 Spyder "GSX"
Sean485's Gallery
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

He has a welded front diff which is felt alot more than a c-diff. They are still just as hard on the rest of your driveline parts though.

99 Spyder "GSX"

Sean Clancy
Sean485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 12:52 PM   #6
K_Mans_TSI
Site Administrator

95 TSi AWD - 6 Bolt
K_Mans_TSI's Gallery
Feedback Score: 10 reviews

Welded front diff...sheesh.

10HR/OPR/BSMR ______________9.95 @ 145
___.____710whp/520wtq 2009
___.____706whp/580wtq 2012
K_Mans_TSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 01:08 PM   #7
93_GSX
Ultra DSMtalker

1993 Mitsu GSX
93_GSX's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Mans_TSI
Welded front diff...sheesh.
Yeah, I'd agree, but "hotrodders" from "back in the day" used to do it to their RWD cars. I know, I know, welding your rear diff is much different from welding your front, which I why I agree with "sheesh". I guess you have to to what you have to do, but with the lost money in extra parts I would think you could have done this the right way.
93_GSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 05:48 PM   #8
damnDSM
DSMtalker

'95GST, '95TSi, '95Benz
damnDSM's Gallery

Just an update...

It was my inner tie rods on both sides. So I just replaced my whole rack ($120.00 reman rack & pinion ebay)

Anyhow, I would like to specify something on my #5 reason not to weld your front differential.

Doing primarily left-hand U-turns (USA=left hand u-turns) my tires wear unevenly as one of the tires will always be grinding away at the pavement while turning. And because the differential is welded, it causes the car to pull to the side with the slightly smaller tire. It pulls harder than I would change lanes using my signal at 60mph. I went through 10 used tires last year.

Picture a wooden peg with two different size wooden wheels on it, then imagine rolling that wooden peg on a flat table.
Old 02-21-2009, 09:22 AM   #9
93_GSX
Ultra DSMtalker

1993 Mitsu GSX
93_GSX's Gallery

So, still using a bandaide to cover a bullet wound? Man, you gotta get rid of that welded diff and get a proper limited slip diff...
Old 02-21-2009, 10:07 AM   #10
damnDSM
DSMtalker

'95GST, '95TSi, '95Benz
damnDSM's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93_GSX View Post
So, still using a bandaide to cover a bullet wound? Man, you gotta get rid of that welded diff and get a proper limited slip diff...
I was forced into welding the differential on a Sunday because I needed to drive my car to work the next day. I was supposed to get my own work truck before the company cut all of the new people they hired. My work situation has not improved much and the car doesn't seem to understand my predicament.

If I was only driving the car downtown on the weekends and to the track, it would not be a big deal. But these business trips to Daytona every day are killing me!
Old 02-23-2009, 03:38 PM   #11
93_GSX
Ultra DSMtalker

1993 Mitsu GSX
93_GSX's Gallery

Man, a couple months of putting $50 a week aside would have picked up a working diff by now...and you wouldn't be shelling out extra cash for the CV joints and new tires all the times...
Old 02-23-2009, 04:20 PM   #12
MitsuModder
DSMtalker

mitsu eclipse gsx 1992
MitsuModder's Gallery

#6. You can still go plenty fast without it welded.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:56 PM   #13
Black_ bullet
Ultra DSMtalker

92Plymouth Laser RS AWD
Black_ bullet's Gallery

Im not against welded diffs in awd since I have my center diff welded, but thats got to be pretty harsh with a welded front diff in a fwd car.
Maybe if it wasnt a daily driver? Well cool to hear you at least cut decent 60fts with it done!
Old 02-24-2009, 09:01 AM   #14
kasper2lo
New DSMtalker

'99 Eclipse GS-T Spyder
kasper2lo's Gallery

Shep Racing has a new diff that they're advocating. Better than the Quaife and $500.00 less expensive. Can't remember the name at the moment, but I don't think they'd mind a phone call about it.
kasper2lo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 12:08 AM   #15
damnDSM
DSMtalker

'95GST, '95TSi, '95Benz
damnDSM's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_ bullet View Post
Im not against welded diffs in awd since I have my center diff welded, but thats got to be pretty harsh with a welded front diff in a fwd car.
Maybe if it wasnt a daily driver? Well cool to hear you at least cut decent 60fts with it done!
I didn't notice how shitty it was until they stopped letting everone take the comp. trucks home. If I only drove it once a week, it would be bearable.
the 1.79 60' was on the stock open Diff and a 24.5 tall Drag ET's (13psi in the tires launching at 5750rpm)

I am hoping for some 1.70's with the welded diff launching at 6,000rpm, I hear it will be able to take it. Fingers crossed that the CV joints can.

PS
I have driven a welded center diff AWD car and it is way less annoying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper2lo View Post
Shep Racing has a new diff that they're advocating. Better than the Quaife and $500.00 less expensive. Can't remember the name at the moment, but I don't think they'd mind a phone call about it.
Uhhh, please try and find out. I am going over to his website after I post this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement