TurboXS High Performance Manual Boost Controller - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com > Parts/Vendor Discussion Area > Parts Reviews Only

DSMTalk.com is the premier Mitsubishi Eclipse Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-09-2000, 05:14 PM   #1
ProjectGSX
Ultra DSMtalker

1999 Eclipse GSX
ProjectGSX's Gallery
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thumbs up

This is my third MBC. I started with a Hallman MBC (90$, from Buschur) which got the job done. I was pushing very little air on a basically stock system. It spooled quickly and spiked about 2psi before leveling off.

However, it was UGLY. It looked like something from Home Depot. So, I replaced it with a TurboXS Standard MBC (70$, Modacar) which was much more attractive. Same performance, looked better, and it was cheaper.

These days, I now push a LOT more air, and 2PSI boost spikes are not acceptable. I had pretty much given up to the fact that I would need an electronic boost controller to get rid of the spikes.

NOT SO!

I got a TurboXS High Performance Boost Controller ($129, http://www.turboxs.com) and its AWESOME! It has *two* adjustable valves on it - One ball and spring valve and one bleeder valve.

You set the ball and spring valve tight to maxamize spool up time, and then open the bleeder valve up to get rid of boost spikes. I get FAST spool (with a ball bearing turbo and this mbc, i spool as fast as I did with the T25) and NO BOOST SPIKES AT ALL. Boost shoots up to 1.1 bar and sits there. I LOVE IT! Here is a link to their web site, which has more detailed info about the MBC and some pics.

http://www.turboxs.com/High%20Perfor...Controller.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2000, 11:33 PM   #2
turbo=good
Hardcore DSMtalker

97 eclipse GST
turbo=good's Gallery
Thumbs up

Just got the TURBOXS HPMBC for Christmas. Have not tried it out yet but it was easy to install even though I had to run to ACE hardware and get some extra vac hose and a T connector.

The directions to put it in say to run off the Wastegate actuator bla bla....but there is another little paragraph saying if running over 15psi, it is recommended to T off the BOV vac line running to the intake man/ blocking off the nipple on the stock boost control(where the restictor is) and block off the nipple on the turbo housing. Is this correct/ better?

Anyone useing th TURBOXS HPMBC, what is the trick with both valves to get the best performance.
Old 12-27-2000, 06:42 PM   #3
ProjectGSX
Ultra DSMtalker

1999 Eclipse GSX
ProjectGSX's Gallery
Lightbulb Where to tap for the MBC

Running from the turbo compressor outlet to the MBC means less boost spikes but slower spool up. The reason being.. Pressure is generated AT the compressor housing. If you have the MBC attached there, it will see the pressure increase faster than if you T off of the BOV, because that pressure source is from the intake manifold.

So, T'ing off of the BOV will give you faster spool because it takes longer for the pressure to make its way up to the intake manifold.

I suggest doing it from the Turbo compressor. Boost spike is not acceptable to me, since I want to run as much boost as possible. A 2-3 psi spike puts me at 21-22psi and that is not good.

As for setting the HPBC.. I set it how the instructions indicate. From there only minor adjustment was required. Basically you want the ball and spring valve as closed as possible. Open it up until you are within 1-2PSI of where you want to be, and then open up the bleeder valve until you are just right.

The more closed the ball and spring valve, the faster you will spool up.
Old 12-31-2000, 04:26 PM   #4
turbo=good
Hardcore DSMtalker

97 eclipse GST
turbo=good's Gallery
Well, i installed it with it set to how the instructions said and I got 20 psi. I turned the Coarse screw clockwise all the way and left the Fine screw alone....still got 16 psi. How is your set lets say if you wanted 10 or 15psi?
Old 01-02-2001, 04:46 PM   #5
turbo=good
Hardcore DSMtalker

97 eclipse GST
turbo=good's Gallery
I turned down both knobs all the way and still got 15 psi. Whats going on here?
Old 01-02-2001, 08:19 PM   #6
turbo=good
Hardcore DSMtalker

97 eclipse GST
turbo=good's Gallery
by the way, how is yours set up...meaning, do you still have the stock boost controller attached with the 2 vac lines and the electrical hook up? Because I do. I was wondering if that caused any of the high boost or lack of low boost.
Old 01-02-2001, 09:10 PM   #7
ProjectGSX
Ultra DSMtalker

1999 Eclipse GSX
ProjectGSX's Gallery
No, I disconnected the boost controller solenoid. Just removed the vaccuum lines from it - pulling the electrical stuff triggers a CEL.
Old 01-07-2001, 06:17 PM   #8
Mikel291
New DSMtalker

Mikel291's Gallery
Question Turbo xs standard vs. high perf

I was looking at the standard one (basically due to price) because I am just starting the mods to my car. Since you have had both, do you think that Its worth the extra $60 for the high perf. or would the standard be ok to start with? By the way...do you still have the standard one?

Mike
Mikel291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2001, 08:44 PM   #9
ProjectGSX
Ultra DSMtalker

1999 Eclipse GSX
ProjectGSX's Gallery
The standard one is fine to start with. It is cheap, good looking, and easy to adjust. All good things to have in an MBC. The difference is that it (and every other mbc besidea the TurboXS High Performance MBC) allows small 1-2 PSI boost spikes.

This is acceptable early on in the game, when you have just started modding, and things like that.. but once you have an upgraded turbo, fuel system, and a fuel management system.. then you dont want the spikes.

Yes, I still have mine but a friend is currently borrowing it. I like to have extra parts around in case something breaks, etc. I still have 2 mbcs, 3 spare bovs, a k&n air filter, and a set of agx adjustable shocks You never know when you are going to need something!
Old 10-15-2001, 01:34 PM   #10
SlowUglyDSM
DSMtalker

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse
SlowUglyDSM's Gallery
Just bought a High Performance TurboXS MBC...

Can anyone give me some ideas how to properly set this MBC? It seems complicated to me...
SlowUglyDSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2001, 01:45 PM   #11
ProjectGSX
Ultra DSMtalker

1999 Eclipse GSX
ProjectGSX's Gallery
I know this is a strage concept to some people.. but I used the instructions it came with.

Install it using the instructions and go for a drive. See how much boost you are getting. Use the brass adjustment to increase boost to within 1psi of where you want it to be and then use the blue adjustment to fine tune it.

If you add too much boost using the blue adjustment, you will get inconsistent boost levels in the higher gears.

Did you notice this thread was originally started 11 months ago? Woo!
Old 10-17-2001, 01:08 PM   #12
CrankWalk
Super DSMtalker

Mitsu. Eclipse GSX 1999
CrankWalk's Gallery
yeah for REAL! old post.. but that's cool..

...its good to go back and USE the old threads for info instead of making up new ones that ask the same thing, man your thread has been alive for a long time!

On that note, ProjectGSX, do you notice much change in boost with different temperatures? If i remember correctly you live somewhere out West so i guess nothing too drastic would happen, weather-wise. I live in VA and some mornings will be cold as crap and then it warms up later in the day. I'm wondering if the high performance boost controller would help with its two tuning knobs.. TurboXS is a local company for me, would be cool to check them out but i notice the controller is a bit pricey .
Old 10-17-2001, 01:12 PM   #13
ProjectGSX
Ultra DSMtalker

1999 Eclipse GSX
ProjectGSX's Gallery
Re: yeah for REAL! old post.. but that's cool..

Quote:
Originally posted by CrankWalk
[BOn that note, ProjectGSX, do you notice much change in boost with different temperatures? If i remember correctly you live somewhere out West so i guess nothing too drastic would happen, weather-wise. I live in VA and some mornings will be cold as crap and then it warms up later in the day. I'm wondering if the high performance boost controller would help with its two tuning knobs.. TurboXS is a local company for me, would be cool to check them out but i notice the controller is a bit pricey . [/B]
I do not notice a fluctuation in boost at different temperatures. I think a big part of boost control has to do with the wastegate, and the wastegate flapper. The XS Engineering turbo I have seems to have a very capable wastegate. The standard issue Mitsu turbo's are a little lacking in that category. Maybe try doing a larger flapper? Or porting the side of the housing so that the flapper can open all the way?
Old 11-28-2001, 10:11 PM   #14
JakeL
DSMtalker

1990 GSX
JakeL's Gallery
So...does anybody have those instructions available? I'd like to get a look at them so I can get mine set up correctly - I got it secondhand from a friend who did not have his instructions anymore.

If you could scan 'em in and send 'em my way, that'd be wonderful...

Thanks, anybody,

-J
1:20 around Second Creek
JakeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2001, 07:35 AM   #15
ProjectGSX
Ultra DSMtalker

1999 Eclipse GSX
ProjectGSX's Gallery
Here are the instructions: (about 256k a piece)

http://pics.dsm.org/files/turbofront.jpg
http://pics.dsm.org/files/turboback.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement