A build for Dad - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact UsStore

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com > Other Stuff > DSM Media > DSM Pix

Notices

DSMTalk.com is the premier Mitsubishi Eclipse Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 07-05-2009, 03:56 PM   #1
DSM Rook

Eagle Talon TSi 90
DSM Rook's Gallery
Feedback Score: 30 reviews
A build for Dad

The story

So I'm building a 93 Talon AWD for my dad. My brother gave him a 91 GSX a few years back to drive in winter and I ended up taking it for 1 winter and then selling it after stumbling upon a Black 93. This car sat for around 3 years. A friend of my brothers was going to buy it and got it to his house. I drove past this thing every day. The kid came to see me and told me, "the transmission seperates from the block. I can tighten the bolts but it comes loose after a week"

So one day I went to look at it. It was a black 93 with charcoal leather interior, 4bolt with lsd, charcoal wheels, 2 piston calipers and found it had a 6 bolt put in by the previous owner, sun roof. The kid said he needed $1500 and that the owner still had the title. That was a bit steep for me so he gave me the number to the owner. We chatted for a bit and I offered $500. He said no way and I told him what the car needed. After a lot more talking we agreed on $800 and I bombed the car home a mile and a half where it sat till now.

The List
1993 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Engine:
2g pistons bored .040 over.
1g shot peened rods
New Mitsu pump and rear main seal
ARP Headstuds
Mitsu metal headgasket
SI stainless valves
SI bronze guides
Crower springs
Stock cams
New Mitsu Timing kit
No balance shafts
All new stock rubber engine mounts
Mishimoto Aluminum Radiator

Intake/Turbo/Exhaust:
Dejon intake for a 2g mass
2g Mass with filter
Old ass budget FMIC from DSMotorsport
Custom piping with 1g bov.
Hallman boost controller
16g turbo
2g mani/ported o2 housing
Buschur 2.5" stainless downpipe
Custom 2.5" cat (stainless)
Buschur 2.5" stainless catback

Fuel & Management
550 or 650 injectors (thinking I'll only need 550's but have spare 650's)
Eprom ECU (waiting to order chip)
Aeromotive AFPR
Walbro 255 pump with rewire.
AFC2
AEM Wideband
Auto Meter boost gauge

Transmission/Drivetrain/Brakes
Shep rebuilt transmission (stock build)
Stock flywheel
ACT 2100 clutch with street disc
Braided 2g clutch line
New Clutch pedal assembly
New Clutch master and slave
Aluminum shifter base and cable bushings
Aluminum shifter cable to tranny mount
Aluminum carrier bearing bushings
Rebuilt driveshaft w/ new carrier bearings, spiders, yolk
ABS eliminated
Goodridge brake lines
Power slot front and rear rotors
EBC green stuff front pads
Rebuilt front calipers, New rear calipers
New parking brake lines
New dust shields
All new Mitsu wheel bearings all around

Suspension/Wheels
Eibach pro kit
GR2 struts
Energy suspension front and rear bushings
Rear poly subframe bushings
Poly sway bar bushings with new endlinks
Repainted 1ga rims with Dunlop Winter Sport tires
Stock wheels to be powdercoated for summer tires

Interior/Exterior
Charcoal leather
Cleaned interior all stock
Stock exterior
Stock sunroof
Ebay headlights
New used mirrors
New used left tail light

Extra's
New AC condensor and dryer (yes will have a/c)
Cruise control maintained
Subframes painted with truck bedliner paint
Engine/tranmission painted
Minor wiring tuck
New Windshield
Hood/roof/hatch repaint

Lots of work to do. Now on with the pics!!

The car sitting at home

Had to throw the spare on since the tire was beyond flat lol

Interior (was filthy, can't tell in this pic)

So the car sat for a while as I built my white 90 back up. I got bored one day and yanked the transmission. I knew either the original owner did not have the small 12mm head bolt in the rear or for got the dowl pins. Sure enough they broke the 12mm head bolt off in the back and left it out. The bell housing was ruined along with the starter and the clutch ended up being broken as was the starter plate. I also came to find there was a 16g in the car. The owner said they changed the turbo but I didn't believe them. This thing is mint too, clean, no shaft play.

Recently I pushed the car out on the winter wheels I cleaned up.

I then got the engine ready to come out

So I started yanking out some parts that would never go back in which lead me to this point

So that point was this morning and I decided to clean the engine bay up in between naps. Yes, its Sunday, I like to be lazy. This only took me a couple hours to strip the car and power wash it with some simple green. I'll actually hand wash it and take care of a little bit of rust near the p.s. resivour and maybe shave the holes in the cowl area;

I'll be updating this build as the days go on. I have a big order from JNZ coming in thanks to Erik. That poor guy spends so much time on the phone getting me the wierdest mitsu crap. Some day I need to drive out there and shake his hand. I also ordered a bunch of parts from Rock Auto as well as stainless hardware and an assortment of new fasteners from other places.

This car was hacked under the hood. Lots of broke parts, bolts, seals. Way too many missing items. Axle boots ripped, clutch master and slave leaking. Stay tuned for a rather stock build up for my dad. (And if you're wondering who's paying for all of this, I've paid for most and had most of these parts laying around. He's given me some cash but this is kind of a, thanks for all you've done for me gift.)

Stay tuned. Hope you enjoy
DSM Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2009, 06:01 PM   #2
Kevin90GSX
DSMtalker

1990 Eclipse GSX
Kevin90GSX's Gallery
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Re: A build for Dad

Uh.... Just let me know when I can bring my GSX to you. We still need to talk about this. You always do amazing things with your DSMs man. Im sure this will be no different.
560awhp
Kevin90GSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 09:02 PM   #3
hand1222000
Ultra DSMtalker

1GA Eclipse GSX
hand1222000's Gallery
Feedback Score: 8 reviews

Very nice teardown!

Old 07-05-2009, 10:09 PM   #4
Burnett03
Ridiculous DSMtalker

1997 Eclipse GSX
Burnett03's Gallery
Feedback Score: 34 reviews

Keep up the good work
2008 R1
Burnett03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 10:20 PM   #5
theblizz
Super DSMtalker

90 GSX
theblizz's Gallery
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Damn Jeff, Your quite the stand up guy and do great work to these cars. Thumbs up.
theblizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 05:00 AM   #6
DSM Rook

Eagle Talon TSi 90
DSM Rook's Gallery

Thanks for the comments. Bringing some parts to work today to clean. I <3 our parts washer and solvent washer.

Blizz, your old down pipe will be on this car. Still have to weld in the flex section.

Also I'll be replacing a lot of the small hardware with stainless. This car will see winter as well so the stainless is nice.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:35 AM   #7
greenstreak
Honorary Administrator
I don't have a life DSMtalker

1996 Talon Tsi AWD
greenstreak's Gallery
Feedback Score: 19 reviews

Looks like you got that thing for a steal even with the hack work that the PO subjected the thing to. It is good to see people really taking care of these old cars rather then letting them rot away into oblivion. It is also good to see someone taking the proper well rounded approach to a DSM.
Old 07-07-2009, 04:36 PM   #8
DSM Rook

Eagle Talon TSi 90
DSM Rook's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenstreak View Post
Looks like you got that thing for a steal even with the hack work that the PO subjected the thing to. It is good to see people really taking care of these old cars rather then letting them rot away into oblivion. It is also good to see someone taking the proper well rounded approach to a DSM.
Yes there was a LOT of hacking. Torn injector seals and insulators and who's heard of 2 bolts on the fuel rail? The engine still seems good so I'll go through that as a spare. Tranny needs a bellhousing so I'll go through that as a spare. The interior faired well. Only had to replace the ignition harness due to a hack alarm. The interior will be gutted and cleaned with the headliner being recovered.

Only real updates are that I've been cleaning everything coming off the car. Placed yet another order with JNZ, Erik spent nearly a half hour with me, props for that.
I'll also be ordering some stainless hardware for that extra "bling"
Old 07-07-2009, 05:19 PM   #9
Blizz92tsi
Super DSMtalker

90 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
Blizz92tsi's Gallery
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

I think this is an awesome build! I'd really like to do something like this for my dad except he's a classic muscle car kind of guy. He loves the old mopars painted in plum crazy. I hope to be able to buy him one later on for the same reasons as a thank you for everything kind of thing.
Blizz92tsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 06:44 PM   #10
theblizz
Super DSMtalker

90 GSX
theblizz's Gallery

Another Blizz huh? I'd say something, but you got seniority over me. Ha.

I rememver you metioning putting that downpipe on your pops car. Glad its being put to use instead of being thrown out.
theblizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 06:56 PM   #11
DSM Rook

Eagle Talon TSi 90
DSM Rook's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblizz View Post
I rememver you metioning putting that downpipe on your pops car. Glad its being put to use instead of being thrown out.
It just needed a little tlc, heh.

So I started putting the sensors back in my thermostat housing when I realized I didn't swap that over to a 90. This car is also getting a 90 oil filter housing and cooler. I already ported the oil pressure relief.

Also I forgot to add there will be a short throw shifter from JNZ and weighted 2g shift knob on.

Maybe some engine pics tomorrow. Weather sucks here so no other work has really gone on.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:24 PM   #12
Black94DSM
DSMtalker

Eagle / Talon / 94
Black94DSM's Gallery

Eric is a stand up guy. He knows his OEM stuff. I ordered the most random bolts from him before.

This build looks like mine. I'll have to keep an eye on this one. So far so good.
Black94DSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 07:13 PM   #13
DSM Rook

Eagle Talon TSi 90
DSM Rook's Gallery

Did some work tonight also my favorite person stopped by, the UPS guy. Talked to Erik yesterday and said he shipped my parts out that morning, today they are here. The package was mainly drivetrain/suspension. All new wheels bearings and seals for all 4 corners. Dust shields for all 4 corners Suspension parts from mitsu along with poly front bushings to make my set complete. Some subframe parts and a clutch pedal assembly. Few other odds and ends and I still had to call from some other gaskets, so much for lists.

Anyway threw some things on the engine today. Hope to clean up the intake manifold, tb and cas this weekend and get those on. Had to order a o2 housing gasket since I used my last one on my car

As always people love pics so heres mild progress

Sorry I did not paint the turbo center section, definatly just lazy. Mani is painted with POR 15 exhaust paint but will see a ceramic coated JMFab shield

And yea, I slacked on the cam gears. Covers will be on so I don't care

Also have some money in paypal so I'll have to order some new headlights and also going to stock up on some stainless hardware.
Old 07-09-2009, 06:42 AM   #14
123abc
DSMtalker

91 Eagle Talon AWD
123abc's Gallery
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Looking good man. Are you mostly leaving it stock then? More of just a restore?
123abc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 08:52 AM   #15
DSM Rook

Eagle Talon TSi 90
DSM Rook's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123abc View Post
Looking good man. Are you mostly leaving it stock then? More of just a restore?
Basically a total restore plus the basic upgrades. 16g, exhaust, small fmic, all suspension bushings. I will probably shave the upper firewall and drop the harness down like on my white car. Battery will stay up front so my dad can throw his golf clubs in the car and drive home with the a/c on. Everything will be rebuilt and upgraded where it makes sense to.

I placed an order for stainless hardware for all the fasteners today. Also got some other parts ordered such as new hatch struts, stock engine mounts to keep the vibration down. Left work early so I hope to drop the front subframe for cleaning and bushings and maybe do some welding if it doesn't rain.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement