Car overheating - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com > DSM Tech Central > General DSM Tech and Tuning

DSMTalk.com is the premier Mitsubishi Eclipse Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 07-18-2009, 01:09 PM   #1
RyAn007
DSMtalker

92 laser rs
RyAn007's Gallery
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Car overheating

So, I changed the headgasket within 5k miles with a new felpro, never had the car go past three quarters on the temp gauge, replaced the thermostat the other day and it cleared my problem up, went to a 160 degree one. So a little while back my car would start to over heat at idle and such, i changed the tstat and all was well. Now the car only over heats at idle, nothing else, with good cruising, car idles around 700 which im not having a problem with any more, resolved its self i guess. So the car leaks coolant out of the over flow tube that is to the atmosphere, and the car boils coolant in the overflow. I am really hoping for no headgasket, but i will get some compression numbers up in a few minutes here. I am also assuming i am low on coolant, because it just got worse and worse over the time.
RyAn007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2009, 01:12 PM   #2
xuberantz
Hardcore DSMtalker

92 Galant VR4 161/1000
xuberantz's Gallery
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Re: Car overheating

Are your radiator fan(s) turning on?
xuberantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 01:28 PM   #3
bryzenga
DSMtalker

92 Eagle Talon
bryzenga's Gallery

I had the exact same thing happen to me a few days ago. I thought it was a headgasket at first, but fortunately, it was just the radiator cap. The gasket inside of the cap went bad and was full of cracks. I put a new one in and coolant no longer came out of the top of the overflow bottle. If your gasket is bad, I would get a new one and see if thats the problem.
bryzenga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 01:34 PM   #4
RyAn007
DSMtalker

92 laser rs
RyAn007's Gallery

So, I went out to do a compression test, 145,145,135,133, third cylinder had a shit load of fluid in it which resembled a watery oil, check over flow when i went out and it was empty, sooooooooooo I am thinking head gasket and fuck felpro, car never over heated, never went outside of far line and im only on 15lbs of boost on an evo 3.
Old 07-18-2009, 01:35 PM   #5
RyAn007
DSMtalker

92 laser rs
RyAn007's Gallery

Radiator fans work. Car did not blow whit smoke to my knowledge, but smelt like coolant after driving, spark plug was covered with the shit.
Old 07-18-2009, 04:24 PM   #6
RyAn007
DSMtalker

92 laser rs
RyAn007's Gallery

Post i guess cant be edited, i think the oil was from the valve cover gasket, i am just wondering is there a way it could leak in there due to a bad head gasket
Old 07-18-2009, 06:56 PM   #7
USER_22
New DSMtalker

1999 Eclipse GST
USER_22's Gallery

Is your radiator cap sealing properly? Are both radiator hoses getting hot to indicate the coolant is flowing properly? When you changed your head gasket did you resurface the head, and make sure it wasn't warped?
USER_22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 06:03 PM   #8
RyAn007
DSMtalker

92 laser rs
RyAn007's Gallery

Did not resurface it but checked if it was flat and it was, like i said this would have come up earlier, especially on the 800 mile drive i had down to my new place where the car never overheated once, im not sure about the radiator cap but i figure on monday once the dealerships are open i will get one and try it out, so i can make sure i need a new hg. I am just trying to get some suggestions right now.
Old 07-24-2009, 04:18 PM   #9
RyAn007
DSMtalker

92 laser rs
RyAn007's Gallery

So the car has fine compression, and the car did boil while turned off which brings me to believe that the hg is not bad, have not gotten a radiator cap because the dealer keeps getting me the wrong one, but im hoping that is, it was dry of coolant when i just checked, empty.
Old 07-24-2009, 05:22 PM   #10
AWSOME 98TALON
New DSMtalker

98 Talon Tsi Awd
AWSOME 98TALON's Gallery

Is your coolant clean or dirty? Maybe some of the passages or water jackets may be clogged?
AWSOME 98TALON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 05:33 PM   #11
RyAn007
DSMtalker

92 laser rs
RyAn007's Gallery

Well, it was dirty, but as is there is no coolant in the car as i said, thermostat was stuck open also, only had problems at idle, good compression and all of that, trying a new radiator cap soon.
Old 07-24-2009, 06:12 PM   #12
AWSOME 98TALON
New DSMtalker

98 Talon Tsi Awd
AWSOME 98TALON's Gallery

Yeah ok, just throwing it out there, the cooling system was clogged on my car and it was fine cruising bacause the water pump had enough rpms and cool air was coming through the rad. As soon it started idling it would heat up. I flushed all the shit out of the block and rad with distilled water and threw new coolant in and it ran was fine after that. Just giving a easy cheap option.
AWSOME 98TALON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 08:16 PM   #13
Nate Crisman
New DSMtalker

Mitsubishi GVR4 1992
Nate Crisman's Gallery

I would just go pick up a new radiator cap at autozone/napa, it should only be about $10 and takes just a few seconds to install.

When you install the cap, make an effort to be 100% sure the coolant system is totally full. squeeze the coolant around the heater hoses and both radiator hoses to try and get any trapped air bubbles out. Then test it out again.
Nate Crisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 11:53 PM   #14
RyAn007
DSMtalker

92 laser rs
RyAn007's Gallery

I am going to flush the system, get a checker cap, a new thermostat, get it all going and burp the system, than run her and see how she is, still has problems, new head gasket time....again in the last few months.
Old 07-25-2009, 07:57 AM   #15
MacGSX
Elite DSMtalker

'99 GSX '02 F350 Lariat
MacGSX's Gallery
Feedback Score: 36 reviews

Definetly dont wait on the dealer to get a rad cap. Autozone has a nice one with a valve on it to release pressure when it's hot. Get that bad boy, do what you said in your last post and hope for the best.