Power Steering Pump Removal - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com > DSM Tech Central > Help! Tech

DSMTalk.com is the premier Mitsubishi Eclipse Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-18-2009, 02:35 AM   #1
tveljano
Super DSMtalker

1997 Eclipse GSX
tveljano's Gallery
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Power Steering Pump Removal

Ok, before anyone says anything I did search, just couldn't find many threads that were helpful. I know this is probably a stupid question too, but I figured I should get as much info as I can so I can get the job done correctly.

My power steering pump is bad and I'm going to be replacing it. My question is what is the easiest way to go about doing it? From what I picked up on with searching and looking through the Haynes and Dealer Service Manual, I just loosen the 12mm bolts and tilt the pump towards the engine to get the belt off, and then just finish unbolting it? Is that really all there is to it?

I know some, if not most, of you guys will pretty much call me an idiot for asking such a newb question, but like I said, I want to do this right.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance guys.
tveljano is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2009, 09:41 AM   #2
tveljano
Super DSMtalker

1997 Eclipse GSX
tveljano's Gallery
Re: Power Steering Pump Removal

No one has any advice whatsoever? Should I assume that's all there is to it then? We all know what they say about assuming...
Old 12-18-2009, 09:47 AM   #3
Red1991TSI
Site Administrator

1991 Eagle Talon Tsi
Red1991TSI's Gallery
Feedback Score: 77 reviews

Yep, only tricky part is removing the bolts on the pulley side. You need to go through the holes on the pullet to get to them. Nothing complicated about it. I'd suggest getting a Haynes repair manual.

Read the rules people!
Red1991TSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 09:53 AM   #4
Dsmolition
New DSMtalker

TSI TAlON 93
Dsmolition's Gallery
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Its simple, take the ps lines off then remove the pump and use the two 12mm bolts to tension the belt up again once finishd. Only advice I could give you is how to bleed it once you put the new pump on. Add fluid and leave the cap off. Jack the front end of the car up and take out the fuel pump fuse, hook up a battery charger to the battery and crank the engine turing the wheels all the way from one direction to the other(go back and forth). Continue as much as needed. This will get rid of the squeel most people get when installing new pumps.
Good luck sir!
Dsmolition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 09:53 AM   #5
tveljano
Super DSMtalker

1997 Eclipse GSX
tveljano's Gallery

Yeah I looked through the Haynes already, but the section I found in it seemed like it was aimed at the 6 Cylinder Engine so I wasn't confident following this directions.

Thanks though, Red. I appreciate it.

Edit: Thanks Dsmolition. I'll keep that in mind. The whole bleeding the system thing worried me somewhat because a buddy of mine changed out the power steering pump on his old Ranger and ended up ruining the new pump because they didn't bleed it properly haha.

Last edited by tveljano; 12-18-2009 at 09:55 AM. Reason: Saw new post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement