Overdrive Not Working - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com > DSM Tech Central > Transmission Tech > Automatic Transmission Tech

DSMTalk.com is the premier Mitsubishi Eclipse Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-23-2009, 03:47 PM   #1
birdii
New DSMtalker

97 GST & 99 RS
birdii's Gallery
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Overdrive Not Working

I took my car into a body shop and left it there for two weeks to have work done it cause of an accident (got hit on driver side door). After picking up the car yesterday, I noticed the overdrive doesnít work anymore. No matter if itís on or off it doesnít do anything. The light on the dash never worked since I switched to a new cluster last year. I always leave the overdrive on and never had a problem before taking it to the shop. When I test drove it and reached 60mph the rpm stays high, it feels like the overdrive is turned off and it doesnít want to go into the next gear. Has anyone experience the same problem Iím having?

Thank you

Auto 97GST
birdii is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2009, 04:21 PM   #2
birdii
New DSMtalker

97 GST & 99 RS
birdii's Gallery
Re: Overdrive Not Working

I like to add to the first post, the car feels it has no power when taking off.

Also I forgot to add one more thing. I had this on going problem for a few months now and it feels like its getting worse. When I shift from park to reverse the whole car would jerk very hard back and forth but if I shift from park to drive you don’t feel it as much. I’m thinking it might be the mounts but is there a possibility it’s something else?

Thanks!

Last edited by birdii; 12-23-2009 at 04:31 PM.
Old 12-23-2009, 04:36 PM   #3
twack
DSMtalker

talon tsi 92
twack's Gallery
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

as fr the overdrive it sounds like your endclutches are gone and need replacing. it only takes 15 minutes to do and with the tranny in the car. ipt sells the kit for $75. as for the thudding into gear, and no power in first..... its starting to sound like the tranny is getting old and tired. if the endclutches are gone as they are then the other clutches inside the tranny might be worn out. i would get the full rebuild but thats me. or start with the endclutch kit and see where that gets ya. o and check your mounts being bad its easy to check and elimintaes that right away
twack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 08:08 PM   #4
Gray91GSX
Hardcore DSMtalker

1998 Eclipse Spyder
Gray91GSX's Gallery
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

Its an automatic, I'm thinking Limp mode. Feels like it has no power taking off, which is due to starting off in either second or third only. And it thuds into gear, which is another symptom of limp mode. Mine had a bad tcu and it would do that. It will also do that when the tcu is unplugged when it was working.
Gray91GSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 11:09 AM   #5
birdii
New DSMtalker

97 GST & 99 RS
birdii's Gallery

OMG! This board is so helpful . After searching and searching I came across a thread about a fuse called 4 a/t under the dash. One of the idiots at the shop pulled the fuse out and put it back in the wrong place. I don't understand why they even needed to touch that fuse in the first place, cause the damage was only at the driver side rear body not electrical. That jerking action is still there but not as bad maybe it's time to change the mounts.

thank you very much!
Old 12-24-2009, 11:10 AM   #6
Gray91GSX
Hardcore DSMtalker

1998 Eclipse Spyder
Gray91GSX's Gallery
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

I completely forgot about that fuse lol. Glad you figured it out.
Gray91GSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement