Broken Door Handle - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com > DSM Tech Central > General DSM Tech and Tuning

DSMTalk.com is the premier Mitsubishi Eclipse Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 08-10-2001, 07:04 AM   #1
TSi AWD
New DSMtalker

Eagle Talon TSi AWD
TSi AWD's Gallery
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Angry

My drivers side door handle broke last night. The way the 2g handle is, there are 2 plastic hooks on the inside (sorta like hooks, cant describe). The hook that pops the door broke, so the handle is still on the car, but it wont pop the door. Would a handle from the wreckers fit on the car? Would I have to take the door appart? If so, how do I do that? Can someome by either email of posting tell me how to take the door appart if neccessary?

I just got new shocks on the car, and I'm ticked off right now.

Thanks!
Torrey
TSi AWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2001, 08:25 AM   #2
k91
Super DSMtalker

No DSM
k91's Gallery
Yeah you could get one from a junkyard. To install it I think you have to take the door panel off inside the car and then you should be able to get at the handle. Sorry I can't help more than that I own a 1G
k91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2001, 03:26 PM   #3
red95talon
New DSMtalker

1995 Eagle Talon TSI
red95talon's Gallery
Mine broke again last night. It broke about 10 months ago and i rigged it. I'm doing this from memory

1. You need to pop off the door panels
2. Take the power lock mechanism off. This is on the door itself. (You need a torque bit. I bought one a few years ago to replace my power locks.)
3. Cut through the plastic covering the power windows. I cut it in a big x.
4. Take off the power locks to the door handle. There are two pieces of metal one of them is tricky but you need to reach in there an unlatch both of them.

I'm sure there are a few more screws to take off, but i don't remember which ones they are.

I may try to take mine off tonight and JB weld it together. Otherwise i plan on looking at the junk yards.
red95talon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2001, 12:00 AM   #4
RabidDonkeyBoy
Hardcore DSMtalker

90 TSi AWD
RabidDonkeyBoy's Gallery
Quote:
Originally posted by red95talon
Mine broke again last night. It broke about 10 months ago and i rigged it. I'm doing this from memory

1. You need to pop off the door panels
2. Take the power lock mechanism off. This is on the door itself. (You need a torque bit. I bought one a few years ago to replace my power locks.)
3. Cut through the plastic covering the power windows. I cut it in a big x.
don't cut it just peel the corner and pull hard trying not to rip it, the plastic is there for a reason if it's a daily driver (sound, and if the botom of the door rusts out water wont ruin the inside of the door)

Quote:

4. Take off the power locks to the door handle. There are two pieces of metal one of them is tricky but you need to reach in there an unlatch both of them.
this is the worst part, the only way i saw to do it right is to take the whole window glass out, and i didn't see and easy way to do that.

Quote:

I'm sure there are a few more screws to take off, but i don't remember which ones they are.

I may try to take mine off tonight and JB weld it together. Otherwise i plan on looking at the junk yards.
i just bought a whole replacement unit (~$35) and spent 2 hours trying to replace it without braking anything. it's a d@mn bitch to get in and i still need to replace the screw that holds the whole unit to the door above the door lock on the inside i spent 45 minutes trying to get this one screw in then gave up, perhaps i'll punish myself later on next week by try again.

the plastic clip that attachs to the door opener isn't that hard if you have small hands or scrapped knuckles.

btw i spent 6 months poping the door open from the passenger side, how long everyone else do this?
Old 08-11-2001, 12:08 AM   #5
TurboBo
New DSMtalker

2003 R6
TurboBo's Gallery
Smile 2G POS Door Handle

I have seen several posts on the door handles breaking. Looks like your car may be black (or dark green)? If so Satan has the replacement in black for around $30. They probably have them in stock as you are not alone with the breakage problem. Mine is white, so I had to paint it, at least white is not hard to match.
TurboBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2001, 12:22 AM   #6
red95talon
New DSMtalker

1995 Eagle Talon TSI
red95talon's Gallery
I forgot.

You don't need to take the glass off. I bought a 10mm hinged socket. It's great for the screw holding the handle by the lock. I bought it just for this purpose from sears hardware. It's worth it.

I rigged my handle to work by drilling a whole on both pieces of plastic that were broken and then bending a paperclip through them. I plan on going to the salvage yard tomorrow to look for a handle for the next time it breaks.

red95talon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2001, 10:00 AM   #7
thetalonguy
Hardcore DSMtalker

90 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
thetalonguy's Gallery
mine broke too, i tried to take the door panel off but that cup was in the way on the drivers side. then it seemed nearly impossible to get to the springs on the inside.
im juss gonna have someone do it because i know ill break things.
thetalonguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2001, 10:34 AM   #8
Turbosolutions
New DSMtalker

Eclipse/Gst/95
Turbosolutions's Gallery
Cool "wow "I' m not a alone

Damn I didn't know this happen to so many people. here I am thinking I'm the only telling my dates if the can open the door for me.ha
Turbosolutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement