Towing a DSM behind my RV - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com > DSM Tech Central > General DSM Tech and Tuning

DSMTalk.com is the premier Mitsubishi Eclipse Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 07:42 AM   #1
42R1G
New DSMtalker

Eagle Talon early 92
42R1G's Gallery
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Towing a DSM behind my RV

I have a diesel pusher motorhome and I want to tow my 1g 5 speed AWD behind it. My plan is to use a t-bar attached to the bumper. I will be putting the car in neutral and rolling it on all 4ís. Does anyone have experience with anything like this? Iíve read all 22 towing related posts and I have not seen anything that would address long term towing on all 4ís.
The real question:
Technically is it feasible with the transmission? Iím not worried about the rear end or the transfer case, but since the input shaft in the transmission is not turning will the standard lubrication process take place in the transmission?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2010, 10:38 AM   #2
Skywise
Hardcore DSMtalker

Eagle Talon 1991
Skywise's Gallery
Re: Towing a DSM behind my RV

Read your manual, theres no way in hell you can do that. Get dollies or a trailer they're your only choices.
Old 02-28-2010, 10:45 AM   #3
lilredeclipse
Elite DSMtalker

The Purple Monster
lilredeclipse's Gallery
Feedback Score: 16 reviews

JaxWhite1G on here does it all the time with his 1g FWD. He made brakets and flat tows it behind his SUV. I don't see it hurting an awd car.
2013, 823awhp- 9.9@150
Old 02-28-2010, 10:52 AM   #4
Snot Rocket
Hardcore DSMtalker

Mitsubishi/GSX/1990
Snot Rocket's Gallery
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

A light weight car trailer is the best way. That way you would have trailer brakes and could cover the car to protect it from road grim.
Old 02-28-2010, 11:12 AM   #5
Gray91GSX
Hardcore DSMtalker

1998 Eclipse Spyder
Gray91GSX's Gallery
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

Being a manual it should be fine, but I don't think I would do it with an automatic, but that being said, I would tow it with a trailer.
98 Spyder- Traded Prelude and Cavalier for
Old 02-28-2010, 01:43 PM   #6
42R1G
New DSMtalker

Eagle Talon early 92
42R1G's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywise View Post
Read your manual, theres no way in hell you can do that. Get dollies or a trailer they're your only choices.
In the ideal world I would use a trailer, but I donít have money to get one yet. My other 1G and Evo are killing the budget lately. Flat tow bars are very cheap and I can fabricate the connections to the bumper easily. I can be on the road in no time for around 125.00. That includes magnetic lighting.
Do you know why you cannot flat tow them, specifically? I donít care what the Mitsubishi vehicle manual states, manuals are close to worthless to me in these obscure cases. I saw a pic of a member towing a boat with his 1G, I bet the manual frowns on that too.
Old 02-28-2010, 02:34 PM   #7
TurboTSI95

95 Eagle Talon TSI
TurboTSI95's Gallery
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

If you have it in manual and tow it on all fours I do not see a problem with it. As stated all 4 wheels need to move at the same speed in which they are. No different when drifting it down a hill or anything to pop start. You will be alright.
Old 02-28-2010, 03:13 PM   #8
Snot Rocket
Hardcore DSMtalker

Mitsubishi/GSX/1990
Snot Rocket's Gallery
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Only thing I can see is your input shaft on the trans is not going to be turning. That might effect proper lubrication of some bearings. For a short distance it would not be bad, but for long distance it could hurt some bearings. Most of the AWD or 4 WD you see being towed behind RV's have transfer case they can shift to neutral. Plus they have a pump in the transfer case that is driven by the drive shaft that keeps it lubed.
My .02 on the subject.
Old 02-28-2010, 07:04 PM   #9
Skywise
Hardcore DSMtalker

Eagle Talon 1991
Skywise's Gallery

You will burn up your differentials.
Old 02-28-2010, 07:21 PM   #10
theblizz
Super DSMtalker

90 GSX
theblizz's Gallery
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Quote:
Explain yourself.
Old 02-28-2010, 09:27 PM   #11
K_Mans_TSI
Site Administrator

95 TSi AWD - 6 Bolt
K_Mans_TSI's Gallery
Feedback Score: 10 reviews

Quote:
LOL no you won't.

10HR/OPR/BSMR ______________9.95 @ 145
___.____710whp/520wtq © 2009
___.____706whp/580wtq © 2012
Old 02-28-2010, 09:39 PM   #12
shott17
Honorary Moderator

04 2500HD,97 TSI AWD
shott17's Gallery
Feedback Score: 16 reviews

Quote:

It actually says flat towing is an acceptable means. If you where going to burn up your differentials by doing this, you would also theoretically do it by coasting to a light in neutral.

DSMTalk Master Rules!
Old 03-01-2010, 02:18 AM   #13
Skywise
Hardcore DSMtalker

Eagle Talon 1991
Skywise's Gallery

The factory service manual page 22 says specifially in the section "Special Handling Instructions for AWD models: Towing". "For AWD models the basic principal is that all 4 wheels are to be raised before towing." it doesn't say should, could or may, it says are to be raised. The abject ignorance in this thread about how differentials work is astounding. You can never safely turn a differential by the wheels without ruining it, period. They do not work in reverse. Coasting in neutral isn't the same as being drug around.
Old 03-01-2010, 02:57 AM   #14
theblizz
Super DSMtalker

90 GSX
theblizz's Gallery
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

The owners manual also says to change your oil every 10k miles, wear your seat belt and let the car idle for 60 seconds after being on the highway...

I see plently of AWD cars being pulled by RV's. I'd assume half of them are 5 spd. Mainly CR-V's or Subarus.

I'm not saying you can go pull your DSM with your RV. I want to see facts and info on how it's bad to do so. So why is it perfectly fine to pull any other car behind a trailer, but not a DSM?

Skywise. The previous owner of my car, an obvious fuck-tard, pulled the rear drive shaft in my car, and put in a NT FWD trans. Only god knows how long he drove the car along like that. The rear dif and axles were left in the car.

By your logic, my rear end should be ruined. Right? I put in an AWD trans, t-case and drive shaft. Rear end works fine, the diff didn't implode...
Old 03-01-2010, 06:11 AM   #15
Colin
Super DSMtalker

1990 TSi AWD (auto)
Colin's Gallery

Quote:
The factory service manual page 22 says specifially in the section "Special Handling Instructions for AWD models: Towing". "For AWD models the basic principal is that all 4 wheels are to be raised before towing." it doesn't say should, could or may, it says are to be raised. The abject ignorance in this thread about how differentials work is astounding. You can never safely turn a differential by the wheels without ruining it, period. They do not work in reverse. Coasting in neutral isn't the same as being drug around.

The owners manual states that for "Towing" as in reference to a tow truck.
You cannot tow a vehicle the same as a 2wd/4wd truck car where you can disengage the front differential nor the same as a FWD vehicle.

Flat towing with a 5spd will be fine. An automatic would not as the oil is only pumped in an auto when the trans is being spun by the engine.

You will not hurt the differential. Driving around with non matching tire sizes. THAT hurts a differential. I've seen way too many customers do that to their vehicles. 3 weeks ago we had a guy who came in for a noise in his FWD trans. His donut sized spare tire had been driven on to the point of no tread left. Fried the differential in the vehicle from the non matched spider gear speeds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread