1G manual steering rack question - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com > DSM Tech Central > Suspension and Handling Tech

DSMTalk.com is the premier Mitsubishi Eclipse Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-26-2012, 04:04 PM   #1
TajMan
DSMtalker

91 Talon Tsi AWD
TajMan's Gallery
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
1G manual steering rack question

I'm converting my 91 Talon Tsi AWD to have manual steering only and eliminated the power steering pump and lines.

Everything a slight mess, because my car has been dis-assembled in my shed for months.

I already have the manual steering rack, and I already have new tie rod ends installed on it.

question #1 - how hard is the manual rack to re-build if I wanted to dis-assemble everything and clean up, new grease/seals? I can only tell the grease is slightly old/dirty inside- just doesn't glide like brand new

question #2 - does the manual rack use any different hardware or rubber mounting bushings than the power rack does?

I ask that, because I'm trying to mount the rack in the car (you know how it uses 2 rubber bushings that go around the rack-n-pinion unit, and then 2 curved steel brackets that squeeze the rack against the body)... well the rubber bushing and metal bracket I have for the passenger's side seem to not be quite the proper shape, and If I install the bolts tight anyway there is free-play in that end of the rack-n-pinion. This rubber bushing and bracket I have don't hold that smaller round side of the rack tight.

I'm looking at either snagging the correct parts from the dealer or from the junk yard tomorrow I think..
TajMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2012, 01:28 PM   #2
serviceguy
DSMtalker

1991 Eclipse GST
serviceguy's Gallery
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Re: 1G manual steering rack question

The problem with rebuilding one is that the dealer does not sell the kit anymore, not to mention if was pricey to begin with. You can order an aftermarket rebuild kit from RockAuto for approx $70. A detailed rebuild procedure can be found here

You will need the passenger side mounting bracket specific for the manual rack. To my knowledge that part too has been discontinued by the dealer. Your only chance would be to find one in a junkyard. Alternatively you could either build the bracket yourself or add some rubber spacer around the rack to reach the correct diameter.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:20 PM   #3
TajMan
DSMtalker

91 Talon Tsi AWD
TajMan's Gallery
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Re: 1G manual steering rack question

I had the passenger's side rubber bushing for the manual rack, just not the steel bracket for the manual rack on that side.

Turns out, you can get the steel bracket off a power rack from the driver's side, and it is just exactly what I needed to bolt up the passenger side!
I have everything installed now. I didn't NEED a rebuild, I'll be good for a long time, but good to know for future rebuild info, thanks.
TajMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement