expected power gains - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com > DSM Tech Central > Non Turbo Tech

DSMTalk.com is the premier Mitsubishi Eclipse Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10-01-2001, 09:12 AM   #1
99eclipseRS
DSMtalker

04 Saturn Ion 3 5spd
99eclipseRS's Gallery
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
any ideas on how much power I'd gain by adding a universal muffler, high-flow cat, and 2.5" custom piping from the cat-back? I figure if I just have a muffler shop do this for me I'll save money and probably get more power than just a cat-back. Would it even be worth it on my NT AT? I plan on adding a few more mods before I turn the car in when the lease is up, like headers & downpipe, AFC, ignition, perhaps cams & cam gears, etc. I'd like to get a bit more performance out of this car. NOS is OUT OF THE QUESTION. Turbo is a possibility, if I can save up enough money and not have it impact my budget for a Lancer Evo in a year or two (or buying out my car).
One more question, can anyone recommend a good-looking universal muffler and a quality high-flow cat? Is catco any good? I'd go with a test pipe but I'd rather be legal and not have to pay any dumb fines...
In summary, I'd like to know if anyone can give me an estimate in how much power I'd gain by adding a hi-flow cat, 2.5" piping from the cat-back, and a universal muffler. Also, I'd like to get your recommendations on brands of cat and muffler to buy. If I can spend like $300 on the cat and muffler together I can get away with a couple hundred bucks for installation at the local muffler shop.
thanks in advance
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2001, 09:18 AM   #2
Doug96GS
DSMtalker

96 Eclipse GS
Doug96GS's Gallery
If you went with a new cat and piping to the muffler, I'd say a little under 10 hp. If a local shop quotes you over 100 bucks to do it tell them to kiss your ass. I got my cat-back put on for 65 bucks. This was at a gas station.
Doug96GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2001, 01:34 PM   #3
99eclipseRS
DSMtalker

04 Saturn Ion 3 5spd
99eclipseRS's Gallery
yeah, but they'll be making custom piping for me as well... It's not just a matter of installation... Am I wrong? How much should I be charged for them to fabricate/supply some 2.5" piping from the cat-back?
Old 10-01-2001, 05:46 PM   #4
Doug96GS
DSMtalker

96 Eclipse GS
Doug96GS's Gallery
My bad, I forgot that they were gonna make the piping for you also. I wouldn't give them any more than 200 bucks then. I'mm assuming that they are going to give you press-bent pipes. If they are going to set you up with mandrel bends, then you'd have to pay a bit more.
Doug96GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement