Custom intercooler pipes for FMIC-FP green or M-L3 - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com > Parts/Vendor Discussion Area > Parts Talk

DSMTalk.com is the premier Mitsubishi Eclipse Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-19-2002, 08:09 AM   #1
NINJA7
Super DSMtalker

93 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD
NINJA7's Gallery
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Custom intercooler pipes for FMIC-FP green or M-L3

I have been thinking about this for some time now, and now I would like to hear your views and opinion on this.

I am also sure that there have been threads in the past that dealt with this issue but they were of very little help.

So here is the scenario.
I have two possible source to help me custom make a set of pipes to mate with my Indy race core.
The design of the piping is very basic: 2 45degree and 2 90degree mandrel pipes, like BR style for the shortest possible route.

I have found http://www.phantomroadworks.com/miscparts.html
that sells some real nice SS mandrel piping, problem is I don't know how long they are. I don't want to buy the pipes and find out that they are short little elbows.

Of course, RRE also sells these pipes for DIY guys. Can you guys think of anyone else who sells pipes suitable for Intercoolers.

Problem #2. Welding a flange on the ss pipe seemed to be a pain according to my welder. And on top of that what will the finish look like after you have welded in that area. I can't imagin it being nice and shiney anymore.

Again, my main concern is not really about the finish on the pipes but the fittment of the pipes.

(This thread is in no wise set out to pirate any shop out of their business. I am simple interested in people who have made their own piping to give their input.)
93 AWD TS1 (MUTT TO BE) Sold!
13.2@101mph 60ft=1.74 w/17psi+110oct on 14B

For the ultimate in Power and Performance see Jesus

Last edited by NINJA7; 02-19-2002 at 08:11 AM.
NINJA7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2002, 08:35 AM   #2
DAskren
DSMtalker

1992 Laser AWD
DAskren's Gallery
bends

http://www.jcwhitney.com/product.jhtml;$sessionid$D2YZUOIAAADTAQSNDV0SFE0CJUOXKIV0?CATID=14721&_requestid=16474
Also try www.burnsstainless.com (pretty expensive IIRC) and www.racetep.com .
HTH
Old 02-19-2002, 10:48 AM   #3
NINJA7
Super DSMtalker

93 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD
NINJA7's Gallery
Burn stainless They are expensive. (nascar)

Anyway, I know there are places/vendors out here that I can get the pipes form but has anyone made their own piping for a FMIC.
BR style of course!

I guess I could have the pipes custom made longer so if there is any cutting it wont be as bad as trying to weld on an extra 2 or 3".

I know there are guys out here who have made their own pipe so where are yah!

Old 02-19-2002, 11:02 AM   #4
IPT

1992 Talon TSI AWD
IPT's Gallery
I made my own IC piping for my car. I got all the bends from JC Whitney. I just use the mild steel ones and get them painted or powdercoated. I have to do three more sets here in the next two weeks. I am changine the way I run them, because mine is set up for a 16G based turbo and all the other ones are for Mutts and greens.
IPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2002, 11:24 AM   #5
NINJA7
Super DSMtalker

93 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD
NINJA7's Gallery
Quote:
Originally posted by IPT
I made my own IC piping for my car. I got all the bends from JC Whitney. I just use the mild steel ones and get them painted or powdercoated. I have to do three more sets here in the next two weeks. I am changine the way I run them, because mine is set up for a 16G based turbo and all the other ones are for Mutts and greens.
What length were the pipes you used for the Green, assuming you are routing to a front mount. Do you have any pics.

Old 02-19-2002, 05:37 PM   #6
99mmcgsx
Honorary Moderator

04 WRX 99 GSX 92 GVR4
99mmcgsx's Gallery
When I did the spearco in my corrado I did all the IC piping. I don't remember where I ordered it, but it was in the back of turbo mag....one of those tiny ads like the burnsstainless ads. I just ordered like 4 U-bends....I remember that after the "U" there was probably about 6 inches of straight pipe....
Really I just posted to say that it is super important that you put some kind of bead on the joints if you are going to use silicone connectors. I popped my IC pipes apart a few times before I did that...

Good luck...it's really not as hard as you would think, it just takes some patience. FWIW, a cheap place to get silicone connectors is to simply go to a big-rig truck supply type place....they sell 2-3" diameter coolant hose which is good for something ridiculous like 120psi or something....it's easy to find a cheaper than going with RRE or something. Just get a long section and cut small pieces off for connectors.
Old 02-19-2002, 05:49 PM   #7
talonman69
Super DSMtalker

90 talon tsi awd
talonman69's Gallery
I made the exact same pipes a week ago.....

a few things to consider:

1) aluminumized pipes can be welded or braised but the aluminum has to be burned off first

2) SS is a complete pain to weld

3) you must consider the radius of the bends cuz the bushur style uses really tight 90 deg. bends on the bottom. For those I used
2 3/8 in pipe...an 1/8 smaller but a 3in radius compared to 4 in!!!! very important for 20G or Green style compressor housings.

4) I used Road race for pipes (18 Gauge steel) very easy to braise and flanges for t body, and i made a 16G outlet pipe for a friend also.

5) RRE is the cheapest for the most part, with the tightest bends (3 or 4 in radius'..sp) and are available in steel, which can be painted or powdercoated.

rob
Old 02-19-2002, 06:25 PM   #8
95GST
Ridiculous DSMtalker

1995 Eclipse GST
95GST's Gallery
What do you use to braze your own pipes? I heard brazing rods are expensive, and you definitely spelt it wrong

Quote:
Originally posted by talonman69
I made the exact same pipes a week ago.....

a few things to consider:

1) aluminumized pipes can be welded or braised but the aluminum has to be burned off first

2) SS is a complete pain to weld

3) you must consider the radius of the bends cuz the bushur style uses really tight 90 deg. bends on the bottom. For those I used
2 3/8 in pipe...an 1/8 smaller but a 3in radius compared to 4 in!!!! very important for 20G or Green style compressor housings.

4) I used Road race for pipes (18 Gauge steel) very easy to braise and flanges for t body, and i made a 16G outlet pipe for a friend also.

5) RRE is the cheapest for the most part, with the tightest bends (3 or 4 in radius'..sp) and are available in steel, which can be painted or powdercoated.

rob
Old 02-19-2002, 07:30 PM   #9
KenTSIII
Super DSMtalker

92 TSI AWD
KenTSIII's Gallery
Before we started up IRC... I had purchased a couple of bends from RRE to fab up some BR style FMIC pipes for my custom FMIC using a 944 FMIC core w/ new end tanks. To tell you the truth, I ended up spending near what our piping kits cost (for 1g of course). That's the whole reason that we decided to offer the piping kits. You go & add up all the quality parts ( prices from RRE.. whose pipes come really close to fitting already) 2 90s $30, 2 45s $30, 90 for TB elbow $15 , TB flange $15, TB elbow gasket $4, BOV flange $10, BOV gasket $2, Silicone hose 1.5' $37.50, 2.5" hump hose $25, 2-2.5" transition $20, 12 Tbolt clamps $60 ($5 each), Radiator overflow tank $15, & powdercoating runs about $50-75 (I'll use $50 to make it easy) for a set of IC piping. After all that I come up w/ $313.50 total and that's not including any of the welding. If you got to SS... expect to pay about $30-45 per bend... and aluminum is really soft & will dent easily. If you need a Jpipe... add about another $30-60 in parts. If you check out www.indyracecores.com you'll see what we charge for our piping kits w/ all the above parts. Like I said... I had purchased all these parts myself to make my own FMIC piping. We started out like everyone here... & the business just kind of happened.. We found some really good deals on some parts. I know it sounds cheap in the beginning.. but everything adds up quick.
Old 02-20-2002, 01:07 PM   #10
IPT

1992 Talon TSI AWD
IPT's Gallery
Quote:
Originally posted by NINJA7

What length were the pipes you used for the Green, assuming you are routing to a front mount. Do you have any pics.
I ran out of gas for my welder this week. I will be finishing up the piping this weekend. I will take some pics.
IPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2002, 05:45 AM   #11
NINJA7
Super DSMtalker

93 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD
NINJA7's Gallery
Quote:
Originally posted by KenTSIII
Before we started up IRC... I had purchased a couple of bends from RRE to fab up some BR style FMIC pipes for my custom FMIC using a 944 FMIC core w/ new end tanks. To tell you the truth, I ended up spending near what our piping kits cost (for 1g of course). That's the whole reason that we decided to offer the piping kits. You go & add up all the quality parts ( prices from RRE.. whose pipes come really close to fitting already) 2 90s $30, 2 45s $30, 90 for TB elbow $15 , TB flange $15, TB elbow gasket $4, BOV flange $10, BOV gasket $2, Silicone hose 1.5' $37.50, 2.5" hump hose $25, 2-2.5" transition $20, 12 Tbolt clamps $60 ($5 each), Radiator overflow tank $15, & powdercoating runs about $50-75 (I'll use $50 to make it easy) for a set of IC piping. After all that I come up w/ $313.50 total and that's not including any of the welding. If you got to SS... expect to pay about $30-45 per bend... and aluminum is really soft & will dent easily. If you need a Jpipe... add about another $30-60 in parts. If you check out www.indyracecores.com you'll see what we charge for our piping kits w/ all the above parts. Like I said... I had purchased all these parts myself to make my own FMIC piping. We started out like everyone here... & the business just kind of happened.. We found some really good deals on some parts. I know it sounds cheap in the beginning.. but everything adds up quick.
I am buy no means disputing the fact that you sell really great piping with your cores but I have the ability to aquire parts at a discounted price. There are companies out there that sell 45 & 90 much cheaper than RRE. (look in my original post). As far as the flanges for the throttle body and BOV I already have those made at a considerable low cost. So as far as the cost of the whole piping, hoses, clamps etc..etc... I think I will benefit from doing it my self. Now this may not be so for people without the access to have flanges and welding done at a lower cost.

Again, ken I think you guys are doing a great job offering top class intercooler kits for the cost you do, but when it comes down to it I have to look out for me. I found that I can make the piping myself a little cheaper so thats why this thread arouse to see if other people on the board has done it.

Old 03-07-2002, 08:56 PM   #12
eyebrowski
Elite DSMtalker

90' Talon TSI AWD
eyebrowski's Gallery
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
can anyone recommend someone to do some intercooler welding for me? i need to flip an endtank on a supra IC for a relativley cheap price. thanks
-Greg
Old 03-07-2002, 10:50 PM   #13
95GSXracer
Hardcore DSMtalker

91 Talon
95GSXracer's Gallery
If you are referring to the popular MKIV (tt) SMIC, then there is no welding need to flip the tanks. If you are talking about a different one, my appologies. HTH
Old 03-08-2002, 10:04 AM   #14
eyebrowski
Elite DSMtalker

90' Talon TSI AWD
eyebrowski's Gallery
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
i am talking about the MKIV tt SMIC. i just looked back over the vfaq and realized there is no welding needed! thanx, that makes it a bit easier.
Old 03-08-2002, 10:47 AM   #15
MR.50-trim
New DSMtalker

first gen AWD
MR.50-trim's Gallery
NINJA7:

what type of intercooler do you have, why not just get the pipes with the intercooler?
MR.50-trim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement