Automatic Transmission Problems - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com > DSM Tech Central > General DSM Tech and Tuning

DSMTalk.com is the premier Mitsubishi Eclipse Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 05-15-2002, 11:29 AM   #1
91_Talon_Owner
DSMtalker

1991 Talon AWD Turbo
91_Talon_Owner's Gallery
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Angry Automatic Transmission Problems

I tried posting this in the Help! Tech forum, but got virtually no help...
If I am way out of line here, just delete my account or something; I need help on this.

I have a serious problem-

I recently removed and subsequently replaced the motor in my 1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD that has an automatic transmission. The install went fairly smooth, but I've now come to a serious stumbling block. My car will not shift into any gear. When I move the gear selector inside the car, the linkage moves on the trans, so Iíve ruled that out. Searching around the transmission, I noticed three wires that were cut, they are all part of one harness that apparently was damaged. The wires I am talking about are located almost directly below the air can. They were Black, Green and Blue. I repaired them, but Iíve still got nothing. There is no grinding noise at all, its just like the linkage has been disabled, but I can roll the car forward in drive, and backward in reverse. I changed the fluid, and I did not notice any metal particles at all. I put in about 4.5 quarts of fluid.

The only thing that I can think of is that Iíve also installed a computer from a 1991 Eagle Talon TSi, same as mine except that it was a manual trannied car. I was assured by other members of this board that it is a straight swap, but it is looking more and more like the culprit. ( I swapped in the new computer so that the 450's from the manual car would work right...)
The car idles like a champ and even builds moderate boost while sitting in the driveway. This car has been sitting for way too long guys,
PLEASE HELP
And YES, the torque converter was bolted to the flexplate.
(ive been asked this MANY times....)

Thanks in advance....

-Eric
91_Talon_Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2002, 12:53 PM   #2
ryanman250

91 GSX, 88 TSI,383S-10
ryanman250's Gallery
I recently did the same thing to my 91 auto GSX. Did you check the fluid with the car turned off and on a level surface? I was checking the fluid with my car running in park and I was getting a good reading but it wouldn't move. Check it with the car turned off and post results here.
ryanman250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2002, 01:31 PM   #3
FlyingV
New DSMtalker

96 Talon TSI
FlyingV's Gallery
Re: Automatic Transmission Problems

Quote:
Originally posted by 91_Talon_Owner
The only thing that I can think of is that Iíve also installed a computer from a 1991 Eagle Talon TSi, same as mine except that it was a manual trannied car. I was assured by other members of
If you are talking about ECU (the thing with guages) then it has nothing to do with tranny, it has its own computer.
Have somebody shift gears and watch the tranny closely. Does it make any slight noises or shudders which indicate a gear change?

I know you've said you have driveplate bolted up and the shift cables are ok but DOUBLE check again, using the service manual. Maybe you forgot to connect some electrical stuff to your tranny, something like a pluse generator or something?
Use the service manual to double check all connections.
FlyingV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2002, 02:40 PM   #4
91_Talon_Owner
DSMtalker

1991 Talon AWD Turbo
91_Talon_Owner's Gallery
Found the problem, I think

Went to the local import mechanic, who seems to be a reputable character, and discussed my problem with him.

He said that when installing the motor, it is very easy to damage the trans fluid pump. He said to check this by starting the car and removing one of the lines to the fluid cooler. If it sprays oil, then you got a serious problem: (meaning that there is an internal reason why it wont shift) if not, then your pump has been damaged.

Well, when I tested via this method, no fluid came out. Does anyone know if this is an accurate test? If so, how dificult is it to replace this pump? I can't even find it in my repair manual...
BTW- I double checked all mechanical and electrical connections, and they are good.

Thanks for your help

-Eric
Old 05-15-2002, 03:56 PM   #5
barney
Elite DSMtalker

03 EVO VIII
barney's Gallery
Shifting gears by way of the shift cable moves a valve inside the tranny redirecting fluid pressure to various parts of the tranny by way of the valve body. Since you have no pressure, that is the reason nothing is happening.
barney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2002, 05:33 PM   #6
91_Talon_Owner
DSMtalker

1991 Talon AWD Turbo
91_Talon_Owner's Gallery
So, I've pretty much narrowed it down to the Trans Fluid Pump.
Any ideas on how difficult this is to remove and replace? (Im a State Certified Mechanic) I just can't find this in the service manual.
I know that i'll have to remove the center differential and the transmission itself, but what will I need to replace along with the pump? (as in, what seals and such am I going to have to replace along with the pump? Part numbers would be very cool )
Thanks alot
-Eric
Old 05-16-2002, 12:14 AM   #7
BoostedTSi
Super DSMtalker

95 TSi FWD A/T
BoostedTSi's Gallery
Have you tried to retrieve an error code? My car wasn't shifting either and I got error code 61.
Probable causes:
1) Malfuction of ECM
2) Malfuction of TCM
3) Malfuction of connector

Mine is a 2g though!
NEVER LIFT TO SHIFT!
BoostedTSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2002, 03:52 AM   #8
nano
Elite DSMtalker

97 TSI AWD ATX
nano's Gallery
Did you check both cooler hoses. I wold try it with the car on D and P and see if one of the hoses sprays out fluid. Only one hose should spray out so check both to see wich one it is. The tranny pump is very easy to replace. But you have to take out the whole transmisoin ot to do it. The torque concerter sits in the pump. When you pull the TC out there's a cover in the trannie around the bearing where the TC sits with a bunch of bolts on it. That's the pump. Just unbolted and install a new one.

Before you bolted the flexplate to the TC did you make sure the TC spined freely and loose.. It should take no effort to spin it. It shold feel like it's sitting in a free spining ball bearing. If it had some drag when you try to spin it then it's not sitting all the way in the pump.

93 probe GT project
15.0 @ 92.2mph
nano is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement