Timing Belt job = rough idle now - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com > DSM Tech Central > Help! Tech

DSMTalk.com is the premier Mitsubishi Eclipse Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 05-15-2002, 02:07 PM   #1
2gnt97GS
New DSMtalker

2g nt '97 GS
2gnt97GS's Gallery
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Timing Belt job = rough idle now

I own a 97 GS non-turbo with a 420-A engine.

Ok this past weekend, I had a friend of mine who used to work at a Mitsubishi Dealership change my timing belt and tensioner puller and idle pulley.

The job went sorta perfect, he triple checked everything (the timing marks and other marks) but now when I first start my car the rpm will rise (like normal) then start to fall back down to idle speed (like normal) but when it gets to 1k rpm it will stay there for a second with a constant but rough idle, then it will drop to 800rpm and bounce from 800 to 900rpm / it feels as if it wants to stall.

So has anyone else had this problem?

Symptoms before timing belt change = nothing, power and idle were normal in all rpm's

Symptoms after timing belt change = rough idle but power is normal with no loss in all rpm's / it is as strong as it was before

In my opinion what it feels like at idle now is like when you are sitting in a muscle car with a cam job, the car vibrates a little more then usual and the exhaust hesitates / coughs which makes the car vibrate more in spurts.

So does this sound like the mechanic set a gear one tooth off or maybe he forgot to install a vacuum line that he removed to do the timing belt or what?

Im at a loss and Im taking my car back to him this weekend and it would be cool if I had some insight on what to tell him to look for. Thanks.
2gnt97GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2002, 02:28 PM   #2
stinkonamonkey
DSMtalker

95 GSX
stinkonamonkey's Gallery
how long did you let it idle for? Sometimes after a reset my car takes a little while to relearn its idle points. Other than that, it could be just about anything from vacume leaks to a faulty timing belt job. You might want to hook up a vac gauge to your car and see what it says.
Old 05-15-2002, 02:44 PM   #3
2gnt97GS
New DSMtalker

2g nt '97 GS
2gnt97GS's Gallery
Well I let it idle for around 10 minutes. I even unplugged the ECU to power it down and then plugged it back in, then started the car and let it idle for another 10 minutes to see if it would relearn the new idle speed, but it still didnt work. I hope it turns out to be a vacuum leak somewhere but I still need to know my other options so that I can tell him what to look for. Thanks.
Old 05-16-2002, 06:22 AM   #4
2gnt97GS
New DSMtalker

2g nt '97 GS
2gnt97GS's Gallery
Still need some info, anyone got any ideas?
Old 05-16-2002, 06:37 AM   #5
GVR4ME
DSMtalker

1994 SVT Cobra Mustang
GVR4ME's Gallery
I had exactly the same problem with my 97 GS and I couldn't figure it out. I sold the car a couple of days ago with the problem still there. I'm wondering if it has something to do with the tension in the belt because I have litterally checked everything else. As much as I would hate doing it, I say take it to Satan (the dealer) it maybe something they see frequently.
GVR4ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2002, 06:49 AM   #6
2gnt97GS
New DSMtalker

2g nt '97 GS
2gnt97GS's Gallery
Thanks for the advice, but the problem is I dont have the money for Satan to look at it cause they will charge me $65 to do a diagnostic and just tell me that its my timing belt and that it will cost me $310 labor cost to fix it, which all they will do it try to adjust the belt.

I have already paid my other mechanic and he doesn't mind looking at it again and tearing it apart to see if everything is still lined up right on the marks of the belt and gears, but I would like to know if this is a common thing and if it is what do we need to look for once we have it taken apart again. So the dealership is not an option.

Has anyone else had there timing belt one tooth off, if so what did it do to the car at idle speed?

Thanks.
Old 05-16-2002, 08:57 AM   #7
GVR4ME
DSMtalker

1994 SVT Cobra Mustang
GVR4ME's Gallery
Yeah, take it back to the guy who did the work. It has to be something simple.
GVR4ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2002, 01:43 PM   #8
2gnt97GS
New DSMtalker

2g nt '97 GS
2gnt97GS's Gallery
bump
Old 05-16-2002, 02:05 PM   #9
Michael
Elite DSMtalker

2006 Pontiac GTO
Michael's Gallery
Quote:
Originally posted by 2gnt97GS

Has anyone else had there timing belt one tooth off, if so what did it do to the car at idle speed?

Thanks.
Tries to stall - feels like idle surge, but more like idle "droop". Sounds like either the timing marks are off or you have a vacuum leak. You should consider not driving it until you double-check the timing marks. If the tension was set incorrectly, the belt could slip further and your valves will get raped by your pistons.

Friends don't let friends take their cars to SATAN.
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2002, 02:16 PM   #10
Ariakas
New DSMtalker

92 Talon TSI AWD
Ariakas's Gallery
Yeah, when I had my timing belt done a while back, I had to use a aftermarket t-belt (yes, I know it's bad ) After getting the car back I notice my idle would go up to 1300 or so. Power was kinda sluggish too. I keep thinking it was throttle body issues or leak. BISS screw didn't help and TB was cleaned.

So I did the t-belt again with orig belt. Before I put in the belt, I wanted to know if the timing was off. I notice when I cranked it and try to align the cams, it was off by a teeth... freakin aftermarket belts.

As well bearings started to fall down by the balance belt pulley. It basically pretty much shredded my b-belt.

After that scare I bought a bunch of new pullies and a new b-belt. My tensioner was new from my previous t-belt install.

Now the car runs great and idles great.

BTW were your pullies and b-belt replaced too?
Ariakas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2002, 02:29 PM   #11
2gnt97GS
New DSMtalker

2g nt '97 GS
2gnt97GS's Gallery
Yes both my idle pulley and tension pulley were replaced when he did the timing belt.

As far as I know the car does not have a B-belt, if it did I think he would have asked me if I would like to have it replaced while he had everything apart.

The tensioner was set to the correct 20 lb and the timing belt was a dealership factory belt. I hope he can find the problem this weekend, I hate driving it while it is possibly messed up, but its the only car I got. If its one tooth off can it mess anything up as long as I only drive it for about a week?

Thanks for the info guys. Will let you know how it comes out. But still any info is greatly appreciated.
Old 05-16-2002, 03:58 PM   #12
Ariakas
New DSMtalker

92 Talon TSI AWD
Ariakas's Gallery
I drove mine with timing off for like a month. I just didn't go wot. As far as my case went, I did not have any adverse effect from driving with timing off. Once I did my t-belt and the pullies, everything was A-OK.

Hmm as far as I know don't all 1 G and 2 G have balance belt unless you did the balance belt removal mod.
Ariakas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2002, 04:07 PM   #13
2gnt97GS
New DSMtalker

2g nt '97 GS
2gnt97GS's Gallery
Im not an expert by far but after reading this article on timing belt replacement, I dont think that the 2g nt cars have a b-belt

http://www.vfaq.com/mods/timingbelt-2G-NT.html
Old 05-17-2002, 06:22 AM   #14
2gnt97GS
New DSMtalker

2g nt '97 GS
2gnt97GS's Gallery
bump
Old 05-17-2002, 07:14 PM   #15
Aftershock
DSMtalker

1992 Ec|ipse GS
Aftershock's Gallery
sweet

Well i just got my car back. My b-belt snapped, made my timing jump and my pistons raped all 8 of my intake valves. So now i have 8 new valves, all new belts x/timing was fine, 4 new plugs, coolant flush and fill, polished valve cover (got bored while waiting), and my car idles perfectly, haven't horsed it yet, but around 3000 rpm it feels like the whole car vibrates then goes back to normal, when its vibrating, just at like 3000-3100 rpm there is a really low tone i can hear in the car. Could this just be because of the new belts maybe, and new valves haven't yet "fot the fit."

Thanks ryan

Aim - slvr92eclipse
Aftershock is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement