wastegate solenoid malfunction - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com > DSM Tech Central > General DSM Tech and Tuning

DSMTalk.com is the premier Mitsubishi Eclipse Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 05-30-2002, 06:41 PM   #1
kirstinhankins
New DSMtalker

eclipse
kirstinhankins's Gallery
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
wastegate solenoid malfunction

Can anybody tell me what this means? My pocketlogger tells me that I have a wastegate solenoid malfunction. My car has been losing power and I was wondering if this could be the reason.
kirstinhankins is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2002, 06:44 PM   #2
greyforestgst

95 gst
greyforestgst's Gallery
means your wastegate isnt opening on your turbo, therefore the exhaust gasses are constantly spooling the turbo. this shouldn't decrease performance, however. it should increase performance considerably until your engine explodes.
greyforestgst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2002, 07:31 PM   #3
GST97ORL
Ultra DSMtalker

Blue 91 TSi FWD
GST97ORL's Gallery
Is your BCS hooked up? Is it plugged in to the wiring harness it's supposed to be plugged into?

Where does the signal line from your wastegate actuator go to?

We need to know these answers before we can say what the problem stems from. Could be something completely different. Let us know!
Old 05-30-2002, 08:30 PM   #4
kirstinhankins
New DSMtalker

eclipse
kirstinhankins's Gallery

I was told that the BCS was unhooked when I bought it. I'm not sure if that is good or bad. Seriously can I blow my engine up because of the wastegate not functioning correctly. The car is a 97 eclipse gst with 23000 original miles. I have followed the extreme motorsports stages and have completed them up until the turbo mod, which I am waiting for then I plan to add injectors and a fmic. Also I haven't upgraded the fuel pump yet that is on its way and I should get it next week. My car runs very rich.
Old 05-30-2002, 08:35 PM   #5
kirstinhankins
New DSMtalker

eclipse
kirstinhankins's Gallery
Here are my mods Performance:
Injen intake system
boost control solenoid removal
Autometer boost/vacuum gauge
Magnecor 8.5mm race plug wire set
NGK BPR7ES spark plugs
1G blow off valve
Brode upper Intercooler pipe
Joe P. manual boost controller
Thermal 3" cat back exhaust
Autometer air/fuel ratio gauge
2.5"dnpipe and 2.5"testpipe
pocketlogger
s-afc (untuned)

I haven't figured out the s-afc yet so I had it installed and haven't touched anything yet.
Old 05-30-2002, 09:33 PM   #6
16g-95GSX
Elite DSMtalker

1995 Eclipse GSX
16g-95GSX's Gallery
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
He holds 15psi and it doesnt keep going, and is running a MBC. This means that his wastegate is not malfunctioning. The error he has IMO is from the removal of the BCS. I have my BCS removed but I have yet to get the CEL for it. You don't need a BCS if you have a boost controller. Since his boost is holding fine then he will not blow his engine from unregulated boost such as a failed wastgate.
HTA3582R, Crower/Ross/ARP Bottom End, L19 head studs, Fox Lake CNC ported head, FP4R cams, PI 9.5" billet torque converter, kiggly front clutch, 4-spider center diff, custom surge tank with dual 044 pumps, 8x RC 1200cc's, SBR FMIC, and the list goes on.

"Higher on the food chain"
16g-95GSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2002, 09:11 AM   #7
Belmont
DSMtalker

1996 BMW M3
Belmont's Gallery
The pocketlogger hooks into the ECU. The ECU hooks up to the BCS, Which hooks up to the wastegate actuator. If you don't have the solenoid, then how could the Pocketlogger monitor the wastegate actuator? My guess is that It's saying malfunction is because you don't even HAVE a wastegate solenoid (BCS).

Last edited by Belmont; 05-31-2002 at 09:15 AM.
Belmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2002, 09:20 AM   #8
GST97ORL
Ultra DSMtalker

Blue 91 TSi FWD
GST97ORL's Gallery
Yeah I agree with belmont on this. It's throwing you that code because the ECU doesn't see the BCS hooked up. As long as your boost holds steady and u aren't seeing any problems thus far, you should be fine.

Did u install a new/upgraded fuel pump? Do the fuel pump rewire? If so, that's why you're running rich. Once you upgrade the turbo/IC system, you'll settle back down where you're supposed to be.

My guess is like 16g-95gsx's...as long as your wastegate holds at whatever boost level you're desiring, you're fine. The BCS is really there as a knock preventer, not a boost controller. It will release unwanted boost when the engine sees knock. But with a correctly tuned engine, it's really not needed. I haven't really used mine for that in a long time. I mainly leave mine hooked up to keep my knock LED active.
Advertisement