Calling out ALL Washington and Oregon DSMers.... - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com > Other Stuff > Regional Events, Get Togethers, Cruise Spots > Northwest

DSMTalk.com is the premier Mitsubishi Eclipse Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 06-28-2002, 11:38 PM   #1
PuTang247
DSMtalker

97 Eclipse Spyder GST
PuTang247's Gallery
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Calling out ALL Washington and Oregon DSMers....

Hey all,

I've met a few of you on this board from the NW....just curious how many more of us are from this area. I'm about to do a rebuild and swap a 6 bolt into my engine...i could use a little wisdom and some help. Will pay with beer Anyways maybe we can all get together sometime.

Andy
PuTang247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2002, 12:59 AM   #2
Brian
New DSMtalker

1997 Spyder GS-T
Brian's Gallery
Hey, I'm out here in Scappoose and I drive a 97 Spyder GS-T as well. Sorry, I wouldn't be much help engine wise though. I try to stick to bolt-ons, I haven't gone any deeper than a valve cover swap. Interested in getting together sometime though.
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2002, 11:10 AM   #3
PuTang247
DSMtalker

97 Eclipse Spyder GST
PuTang247's Gallery
Hey dude....I'm from the portland/beaverton area. Where do you go to get your parts? How far away is sacppose from portland? Hope to hear from you soon.

Andy
Old 06-29-2002, 05:28 PM   #4
Redsand187
Elite DSMtalker

05 VW GTi 20v Turbo
Redsand187's Gallery
There are a lot of NW people here, most of them aren't too active on this site, but are down for a meet. I'm from Yakima, there are about 5-10 active members here. If you were here, or close, I would come and help you with the rebuild, it's so fun, or at least I think it is.
Old 06-30-2002, 12:09 AM   #5
PuTang247
DSMtalker

97 Eclipse Spyder GST
PuTang247's Gallery
Hey man...so where exactly is Yakima? Yeah i want to get a bunch of us together!

Andy
Old 06-30-2002, 12:10 AM   #6
PuTang247
DSMtalker

97 Eclipse Spyder GST
PuTang247's Gallery
Oh BTW, redsand...how hard is it to swap a complete 6 bolt long block into a 2g....do i only need to modify the mounts? Later man.

Andy
Old 06-30-2002, 04:29 PM   #7
Redsand187
Elite DSMtalker

05 VW GTi 20v Turbo
Redsand187's Gallery
Yakima is in the middle of no where! It's about a hour north west of the Tri Cities. We're on the east side of the mountains. I haven't done the swap, but I have looked into it, it appears that you just need to modify the mounts to get it in, and of course swap on the needed 2g parts mentioned by Magnus Motorsports. And rig up the CAS to work right, it shouldn't be too hard as long as you have researched it, it should actually be fun
Old 06-30-2002, 05:25 PM   #8
PuTang247
DSMtalker

97 Eclipse Spyder GST
PuTang247's Gallery
HEy redsand...since you think it'd be fun , you should come down from washington for a week and crash in my garage with me and swap out my 6 bolt from my 1g into my 2g. I'll pay for beer and pizza How does that sound?

As for the swap...i was readig on RREs site taht you need to drill and tap holes and all this otehr crap....is that only for the 1g block mating with the 2g head though??? Thanks

Andy

Last edited by PuTang247; 06-30-2002 at 05:30 PM.
Old 06-30-2002, 06:06 PM   #9
Redsand187
Elite DSMtalker

05 VW GTi 20v Turbo
Redsand187's Gallery
The tapping is if you use a 2g oil pump. But Magnus Suggests to use a 1g Oil pump. I personnaly would go about it the Magnus way, I'm sure you've seen it, but if not, http://www.magnusmotorsports.com/1g2g.htm there is the link. I'm sure either way will work very well, but I think the Magnus way is a little less complitcated. BTW, it will take a lot more then that to make me your bitch for a week
Old 06-30-2002, 08:20 PM   #10
PuTang247
DSMtalker

97 Eclipse Spyder GST
PuTang247's Gallery
LMAO....i never said anything about being my bitch hehe....what do you want than? Wine coolers, Some vodka.....weed I'm just playing, but what would it really take? or you could be a real nice guy and help out a fellow DSMer Thanks Dude

Andy
Old 07-01-2002, 02:26 AM   #11
Brian
New DSMtalker

1997 Spyder GS-T
Brian's Gallery
I hate to interrupt when you're sooo close to getting a killer deal on a 6 bolt install. In fact maybe we could get him to do a couple of swaps while he's hear, make mine an all wheel drive swap as well. My Spyder doesn't launch/handle nearly as well as my AWD did. As to your question, I get most of my parts online: DSMTrader, thepartstrader, etc. -Brian
Old 07-01-2002, 11:10 AM   #12
PuTang247
DSMtalker

97 Eclipse Spyder GST
PuTang247's Gallery
Actually converting a FWD to AWD doesn't seem taht hard...or too complex to get the idea of how to do it. All you need is to get AWD tranny, and the drive train and hook it up. But i guess you're gonna have to cut out some stuff from under the body to make room for the drivetrain as well as customize the exhaust. SO can't you just rip these parts out of a GSX at the junkyard and do this for fairly cheap? Am i on the right track or am i just alking out of my ass

Andy
Old 07-01-2002, 04:57 PM   #13
Brian
New DSMtalker

1997 Spyder GS-T
Brian's Gallery
Oh, I almost forgot, you asked where Scappoose is located, it's about 20 miles towards Astoria from Portland if you take Hwy 30 instead of 26. Anyway about the AWD coversion, it has been done and it isn't too difficult. Much of the undecarriage is exactly the same. I don't think I'd want a car that heavy though and I'm not trying to race my convertible anyway, it does give food for thought though.
Old 07-01-2002, 07:45 PM   #14
PuTang247
DSMtalker

97 Eclipse Spyder GST
PuTang247's Gallery
You don't want to race your convertable???? WHy not You'll be hauling ass in style Hehe...well after this swap with this 6 bolt i thought i might as well just convert it into a racing motor because it'll pretty much cost the same +or- a few hundred. But yeah with new forged internals and a BIG turbo...i'm hoping to put between 500-600 to the wheels.

Do you guys know alot about forged internals...I've heard that the forged pistons go to shit real quick like in 15-20,000 miles??? Is this true...i don't want to pay $3000 for a rebuild and have to rebuild it again in 2-3 years. THanks

Andy
Old 07-02-2002, 09:43 PM   #15
Redsand187
Elite DSMtalker

05 VW GTi 20v Turbo
Redsand187's Gallery
I don't know if a AWD swap is something that I could, or would want to do. Or at least with any strings attached. I'm not great technician guy, I am a ASE student. I am probaby going to take my Engine Performance, Steering and suspension, Electrical, and braking, tests here in the next couple months, I still have another year of school before I get to the level that I want in mechanics then it's off to body work. Plus I am young, pretty young actually only 17, but I have been around these cars for a while, and around cars in genral most of my life, plus it's something I love, hence I'm going to school for it. I plan on opening a shop somewhere here in the NW in a few years, once I get some body work under my belt or a good partner that does good body work. Plus I am working, making 12 bucks a hour, and I don't drink, so it will take more then you offered to get me down there
Sponsored Links
Advertisement