Torque Converter question - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com > DSM Tech Central > Transmission Tech > Automatic Transmission Tech

DSMTalk.com is the premier Mitsubishi Eclipse Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 09-15-2002, 09:50 AM   #1
V8smoker

Eclipse GST
V8smoker's Gallery
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Torque Converter question

So I am planning on ordering a AGP L2R turbo in the next month or 2, and I was wondering if anyone thinks I would need a high stall TC? The rest of my mods are in my sig. I honestly don't know that much about TC's. Anyone car to share some benifits from one? Thanks.
V8smoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2002, 06:12 AM   #2
nano
Elite DSMtalker

97 TSI AWD ATX
nano's Gallery
If you plan on getting HKS cams you will. I have a FPT28 and my full spool time went from 2800rpm to 3400rpm with the cams. And now even with my dunrite high stall TC I have issues getting to spool quickly. If I had to do it over again I'd get something with a 3500rpm stall. A high stall TC brings your stall speed from stock 2100rpm to 2700-3000rpm stall on the upgraded ones. While power braking I can reach about 3500rpm and have gotten it to 4000rpm but with no gains really ones past 3500. Personally when I had the stock cams it didn't help my 60fts at all. I got a 1.81 60ft on the stock TC as well as the upgraded one. Maybe it would have helped people with 16Gs where there was a bit more lag then in my turbo.

If you want an L2R and Cams I'd want something with at least 3500rpm stall if they even make it. But otherwise I think you'll have trouble spooling that turbo up. If you do decide to run the stock cams you might just be able to get away with it. But I don't think It'd be good enough for real good 60fts.

93 probe GT project
15.0 @ 92.2mph
nano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2002, 09:39 AM   #3
1PHAT99
New DSMtalker

Eclipse/GST/99
1PHAT99's Gallery
Hey V8, I'm in the same boat as you. I'm interested in the L2R as well. I already have the HKS Cams, 264i/272e but have yet to install them. Been reading a lot of threads recently and it's sort of swaying my decision on putting them in. I have had my TC upgraded and it is a must w/ any turbo upgrade. I dropped a little over.70 off my 1/4 w/ that and the valve body upgrade. I also have a PTS kit installed. Take a look at that too. Look at Level10 or Protorque. Good Luck!!

~B
1PHAT99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement