Yellow top batteries, good and bad of them please - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com > DSM Tech Central > Audio Tech

DSMTalk.com is the premier Mitsubishi Eclipse Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 09-20-2002, 01:40 PM   #1
CyByte
Hardcore DSMtalker

92 Plymouth Laser AWD
CyByte's Gallery
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Yellow top batteries, good and bad of them please

my friend told me that the yellow top batteries have some downfalls also compared to the regular ones, what are the good and bad of these batteries?

Purple GS UB, HID Retrofit Conversion |Stock Rims, BF Goodrich G-Force A/T KDWS, ACT 2600, VR4 Fuel Pump (Need someone to Install still) 8mm Spark/NGK plugs | Suspension - Rollhard Performance front strut bar, RMDSM Rear Sway Bar, RRE Rear Strut Bar | Intake - MBC(16psi), 2.5" Dejon UICP, 2.5" Dejon Intake Pipe, BR 16G Outlet Elbow |
CyByte is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2002, 04:47 PM   #2
Redsand187
Elite DSMtalker

05 VW GTi 20v Turbo
Redsand187's Gallery
Suposivly Deep Cycle battery's have (or did) a memory. Meaning they remember when they are charged. If they are charged at the same point often enough, they think when they are below that charge level, they are dead. So if you use a deep cycle battery as your main, you could have problems with the car not starting, even though the battery has more then enough juice left in it.
Old 09-20-2002, 11:14 PM   #3
CyByte
Hardcore DSMtalker

92 Plymouth Laser AWD
CyByte's Gallery
they have fixed this with items such as rechargable batteries and cellular phones i would think that would be a huge problem, sense the alternator is constantly recharging the battery? if you had the radio on for 10 or 15 minutes without running the car it would then in theory not start because it would think that there is no juice?

Purple GS UB, HID Retrofit Conversion |Stock Rims, BF Goodrich G-Force A/T KDWS, ACT 2600, VR4 Fuel Pump (Need someone to Install still) 8mm Spark/NGK plugs | Suspension - Rollhard Performance front strut bar, RMDSM Rear Sway Bar, RRE Rear Strut Bar | Intake - MBC(16psi), 2.5" Dejon UICP, 2.5" Dejon Intake Pipe, BR 16G Outlet Elbow |
Old 09-21-2002, 04:39 AM   #4
Tom Sawyer
DSMtalker

'99 GSX
Tom Sawyer's Gallery
I've used an Optima Yellow Top as my main and only battery for 4 years now. Keep in mind I have a stock charging system and 1/0 AWG wire running to a Rockford Punch 360a2 and Power 800a2. It has never let me down and I haven't yet had to replace it after four long years of bumpin' sometimes with the car off for 20 minutes at a time. I can watch a whole DVD in my car at normal listening volume with it off and still have plenty of juice left to start it. I've accidentally left my door partially open, left the DVD player on over a couple days time with no driving, etc. Ran the battery all the way down. Charge it up, drive the car, and it is just fine again. Takes a lickin and keeps on tickin. My personal opinion: this battery kicks ass.

Tom
'91 Pathfinder - tow rig
'91 Excel - broken beater
Tom Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2002, 09:43 AM   #5
CyByte
Hardcore DSMtalker

92 Plymouth Laser AWD
CyByte's Gallery
can you jump it like a regular battery?

Old 09-21-2002, 10:25 AM   #6
LifeY
DSMtalker

95 Talon TSi
LifeY's Gallery
Yes

Redtop is also a good choice
Old 09-21-2002, 01:46 PM   #7
bassy
New DSMtalker

'97 Eclipse GS-T
bassy's Gallery
I've had my Yellow Top Optima about 16-18 months now. No problems whatsoever. No leaking. Nothing. It's one helluva battery. I kept going through the stock Mitsu batteries like every other 6-7 months. They all leaked like crazy. No more headaches with the Yellow Top Optima now. Plus, I can pretty much listen to music even when the car's not running without worrying about running the battery down. Highly recommend it. I paid $190 for mine.
bassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2002, 01:47 PM   #8
Redsand187
Elite DSMtalker

05 VW GTi 20v Turbo
Redsand187's Gallery
I'm pretty sure the problem is fixed now. That's why I said supposedly. I've never heard of a Yellowtop failing because of that. But if you want it to be warrantied, you can't use it for a starting battery. You should use a red top if you only get use one battery. If you add a second, then use a Yellow top.
Old 09-21-2002, 11:38 PM   #9
Boostn4
Super DSMtalker

97 Eagle Talon TSI AWD
Boostn4's Gallery
I was told by an Advance auto employee that the yellow tops will not fit in a eclipse or talon, therefore resulting in me buying the red top. That pisses me off because I am upgrading my system and need that extra power. No problems yet with the red top I love it but I would prefer the yellow.....

BB6076RS, Turbonetics Manifold/ 1g Head/ JMFAB SMIM/TB, FP2 Cams, Shep Race Tranny, ACT2900/Fidanza Flywheel, V2 DSMlink, FIC 850cc, 255HP, AFPR/-6AN lines, Spearco 2-216 IC
Best 1/8 mile: 7.40 @ 104.5mph w/2.0 60ft on 93 Oct.
Boostn4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2002, 02:07 AM   #10
CyByte
Hardcore DSMtalker

92 Plymouth Laser AWD
CyByte's Gallery
i have never heard of this red top battery, what is different about it?

and why would you prefer a yellow top over a red top?

someone said if you run only one battery you should get a red top, just wondering what the difference is.

also what is the advante of a yellow or red top over a regular die hard battery or something similar ?

Old 09-22-2002, 11:14 AM   #11
LifeY
DSMtalker

95 Talon TSi
LifeY's Gallery
red is just a little bit cheaper (liek 20-30 dollars) then the yellow but i cant figure out how to say it..it has "less power" or something, so you cant sit in your car as long with stuff on, it still is a very long time though
Old 09-22-2002, 12:51 PM   #12
Boostn4
Super DSMtalker

97 Eagle Talon TSI AWD
Boostn4's Gallery
the yellow is a deep cycle battery that is gel filled and is made more for systems and more power output. The red top is a good starting battery, not a bad battery.

BB6076RS, Turbonetics Manifold/ 1g Head/ JMFAB SMIM/TB, FP2 Cams, Shep Race Tranny, ACT2900/Fidanza Flywheel, V2 DSMlink, FIC 850cc, 255HP, AFPR/-6AN lines, Spearco 2-216 IC
Old 09-22-2002, 01:28 PM   #13
CyByte
Hardcore DSMtalker

92 Plymouth Laser AWD
CyByte's Gallery
ok so yellow just is better then a red top

and yellow and red top are a gel cell and regular car batteries and wet i think with a liquid.

so basically they just hold more power and last longer so they are better then a regular battery

hold a charge just as long, last just as long, and are stronger?

do they have crank power such as what the diehards and such are rated as?

Old 09-22-2002, 01:39 PM   #14
AXiS
Ultra DSMtalker

1997 Eclipse GS-T
AXiS's Gallery
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
If you are considering a optima battery, you should also look into the stinger batteries. They make all shapes and sizes of them and they are very good batteries.
AXiS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2002, 01:59 PM   #15
Boostn4
Super DSMtalker

97 Eagle Talon TSI AWD
Boostn4's Gallery
yes the stinger batteries are good also, I just am able to get optima batteries on discount. The red top is a very good starting battery as it lists in its info. I have never had starting problems, leaking problems, they last for a long time without the engine on and will jump start like any other battery and recharge great. A good investment and will save you money in the long run in my opinion.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement