Should I upgrade my subs - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com > DSM Tech Central > Audio Tech

DSMTalk.com is the premier Mitsubishi Eclipse Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 09-27-2002, 04:11 PM   #1
truwarrior22
Hardcore DSMtalker

1999 Eclipse GS-T
truwarrior22's Gallery
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Should I upgrade my subs

Right now I have the old RFZ Rockford Fosgate subs. They are rated at 100 watts RMS but I got about 125 RMS goin to them.

Thing is I think they sound great and and can shake my hair, but now I'm wondering what two Infinity Perfects would sound like. I really wanna cut weight though so if I upgrade it would be just one 12" in a ported box or two tens in a sealed box.

Do you think it's worth upgrading? Right now I got a light amp, and light weight subs, with a so so weight box.

I don't wanna loose the bass shakin feeling either, so I was also wondering about the 12" kicker L7, those square shaped speakers. Technically if they are square they will push much more air then a 12" circle sub. Are those any good? That way I can save weight and still have bass that shakes.

I mostly listen to punk rap and heavy metal. Thanks.
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2002, 10:28 PM   #2
pb4ugotobed
Ultra DSMtalker

$69 1997 huffy 10 speed
pb4ugotobed's Gallery
avoid the square solobarics. i was a great fan of their round speakers... but the square subs suck. they're loud, but i have had farts that are more musical than those subs are.

two 10" perfects would absolutely slam with a lil power goin to them
Old 09-28-2002, 12:19 AM   #3
truwarrior22
Hardcore DSMtalker

1999 Eclipse GS-T
truwarrior22's Gallery
Well with my setup I can allow one 12" Infinity Perfect with 600 watts rms or else two Infinity Perfects with 300 watts rms to each. I decided to go with the perfects becuase I have Infinity conponents and like them so I would like to stick with one brand and also the stats look badass for the sub.

The amp I'm gonna use is the JBL 600 which is a mono sub amp. I can't go over 600 watts rms orelse I'll have to run thicker gauge power wire then my 4 gauge power wire and I don't wanna do that.
Old 09-29-2002, 12:56 PM   #4
oneof27
Honorary Moderator

THE DARKNESS
oneof27's Gallery
I have an Infinity Kappa Perfect 12 and it sounds pretty damn good to my ears.
-dna
Old 09-29-2002, 01:31 PM   #5
Redsand187
Elite DSMtalker

05 VW GTi 20v Turbo
Redsand187's Gallery
Perfects sound great, the only reason I don't like them, is because they are fragile. Everyone that I know who has one, has blown at least one, they also insist on listening to it "homey" style, though.
Old 09-29-2002, 05:54 PM   #6
stevo
Ultra DSMtalker

95 tsi awd
stevo's Gallery
Get the perfects...I used to have 2 12" perfects and it was too much for me, so I sold them and got one and It was great...Perfect sound quality but it could hit hard as hell...

They will not blow if you push no more than 1400watts max per 12" and if you break them in (take it easy on them for a week or so). I had my pouding for a long time and never had any probs with them.
Old 09-29-2002, 09:33 PM   #7
norcal-nonturbo
Super DSMtalker

91 1.8l eclipse
norcal-nonturbo's Gallery
im running a 12" perfect and it sounds awsome, im only running 300 watts through it and it still sounds good. if you are looking for something that just bumps, i would suggest JL my friend had a 12w0 and it hit as hard as my perfect, although it didn't sound as good.

www.dsmabc.com
norcal-nonturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2002, 07:36 AM   #8
97GSTspyder
Hardcore DSMtalker

2004 Nissan 350Z
97GSTspyder's Gallery
Infinity Perfects are SQ subs. They should sound a lot better than those shitty fosgates as long as you put the right amount of power to them.

-2004 Lemans Sunset 350Z
-JWT Pop Charger

-Modded GSTspyder: SOLD
97GSTspyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2002, 08:40 PM   #9
SmokinV8's
Super DSMtalker

Grand Cherokee Limited
SmokinV8's's Gallery
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
A lot of people make the mistake of thinking the sub makes the biggest difference in sound. Well its your amp that makes your sub move. The better the amp you have the better your sub is going to sound. You can buy the best subs in the world and power them with some shitty amp and you know what? they're going to sound shitty. You take a good to great amp your going to get good to great sound. Just think about whats making your sub play music. I have seen this too many times where people buy these big $$ subs and try and power them with some shitbox 1500watt amp and they sound like dump. Then i let them listen to my 2 JL Audio 12w6's powered by only 150watts of PPI (Precision Power Power Series)power and they are blown away. Its all in your amp.........Thats it..
Old 10-12-2002, 01:27 PM   #10
alanseijas
Hardcore DSMtalker

'95 GST
alanseijas's Gallery
I'll go with box design/quality for the major determining factor as to whether a sub sounds good or not. Amplifiers are merely what they are called: AMPLIFIERS. They take the sound that is given to them, and they make it LOUDER. They don't change the signals that are sent to them (crossovers are filters), they add amplification. Power that is used to drive the subs. If you feed an amplifier a good clean sound, it amplifies a good clean sound. The same applies both ways. A crappy signal will never sound good no matter how good the amp is. (There are some really crappy amplifiers out there though)

Box design/quality. How tight is the box? Vibrations, air leaks, improper porting, improper sizing; Now we're talking about what matters the most. I'm not saying that the other factors are not important, but out of the five (signal, amplification, woofer quality, vehicle application, and box design/quality), I choose the box. You can take the best woofer in the world, and put it in the wrong box. It'll sound horrible. Now take even the crappiest speaker you can think of (well, almost!), and put it in it's correct environment. It will outperform the best woofer in the wrong box.
2003 1st place Spring Break Nationals Daytona Beach Fl
TEAM HERTZ
alanseijas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2002, 01:59 PM   #11
SmokinV8's
Super DSMtalker

Grand Cherokee Limited
SmokinV8's's Gallery
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
[QUOTE]Originally posted by alanseijas
[B]I'll go with box design/quality for the major determining factor as to whether a sub sounds good or not. Amplifiers are merely what they are called: AMPLIFIERS. They take the sound that is given to them, and they make it LOUDER. They don't change the signals that are sent to them (crossovers are filters), they add amplification. Power that is used to drive the subs. If you feed an amplifier a good clean sound, it amplifies a good clean sound. The same applies both ways. A crappy signal will never sound good no matter how good the amp is. (There are some really crappy amplifiers out there though)

Are you trying to say that every amp will sound the same if you feed it with good clean sound?? Why do you think amps have distortion ratings? Because when amps take sound and boost it (amplify it) it's not as clean when it comes out as it was when it went into the amp. An amp with lower distortion like .01 will sound much cleaner than one with say .1 no matter how clean the imput is. I do agree with box design but that is an obvious factor. I have done a lot of messing around with car stereo's in my days and i have come to the conclusion that the amp is your main building block when build a system. Your system is only going to sound as good as your amp can play it.
Old 10-12-2002, 02:05 PM   #12
bmwmon
Super DSMtalker

97 Eclipse GS-T
bmwmon's Gallery
me 2 10" eclipse hit hard. they are not the titaniums though, just regular eclipses. but it is too much and i am selling them with the car. i rather spend my money for a really clean sound then just something that hits. by the way is a system bad for your car, i heard it loosens shit up?

1997 GST-*Totaled*
2001 CBR F4i *Sold*
bmwmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2002, 02:17 PM   #13
alanseijas
Hardcore DSMtalker

'95 GST
alanseijas's Gallery
Quote:
Originally posted by SmokinV8's

Are you trying to say that every amp will sound the same if you feed it with good clean sound?? Why do you think amps have distortion ratings? Because when amps take sound and boost it (amplify it) it's not as clean when it comes out as it was when it went into the amp. An amp with lower distortion like .01 will sound much cleaner than one with say .1 no matter how clean the imput is. I do agree with box design but that is an obvious factor. I have done a lot of messing around with car stereo's in my days and i have come to the conclusion that the amp is your main building block when build a system. Your system is only going to sound as good as your amp can play it. [/B]
I never said that every amp will sound the same given the same signal, and I agree that the quality of the amplifier DOES matter. I was stating that box design/quality was more important than amplifier quality when dealing with WOOFERS. Distortion does not matter nearly as much in the lower frequencies. I was simply disagreeing with you when you said that the amplifier matters MOST.
2003 1st place Spring Break Nationals Daytona Beach Fl
TEAM HERTZ
alanseijas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2002, 08:10 PM   #14
...FWD...
New DSMtalker

fwd tsi
...FWD...'s Gallery
"I can't go over 600 watts rms orelse I'll have to run thicker gauge power wire then my 4 gauge power wire and I don't wanna do that."

4 gauge can handle up to 1200 watts
...FWD... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2002, 04:24 PM   #15
Apocalypse
DSMtalker

White 95 Eclipse GS
Apocalypse's Gallery
[QUOTE]Originally posted by SmokinV8's
[B]
Quote:
Originally posted by alanseijas
I'll go with box design/quality for the major determining factor as to whether a sub sounds good or not. Amplifiers are merely what they are called: AMPLIFIERS. They take the sound that is given to them, and they make it LOUDER. They don't change the signals that are sent to them (crossovers are filters), they add amplification. Power that is used to drive the subs. If you feed an amplifier a good clean sound, it amplifies a good clean sound. The same applies both ways. A crappy signal will never sound good no matter how good the amp is. (There are some really crappy amplifiers out there though)

Are you trying to say that every amp will sound the same if you feed it with good clean sound?? Why do you think amps have distortion ratings? Because when amps take sound and boost it (amplify it) it's not as clean when it comes out as it was when it went into the amp. An amp with lower distortion like .01 will sound much cleaner than one with say .1 no matter how clean the imput is. I do agree with box design but that is an obvious factor. I have done a lot of messing around with car stereo's in my days and i have come to the conclusion that the amp is your main building block when build a system. Your system is only going to sound as good as your amp can play it.
Yes, every amp will sound the same given the same signal. Only when you drive it into clipping will it color the sound. If you think that amps that are not clipping sound different, and can prove it, you can win 100,000.00. ASK ME HOW.
Apocalypse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement