I've searched for the past 45 min.... - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com > New User Reading Area > Newbies Forum

DSMTalk.com is the premier Mitsubishi Eclipse Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-18-2002, 12:43 PM   #1
Jazzie604

1992 Laser Turbo AWD
Jazzie604's Gallery
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I've searched for the past 45 min....

Just to make sure I wasn't going to be asking too stupid of a question, I've been searching for the last 45 min to get a detailed description and still havent found one yet, so here it goes..

How exactly does a boost controller work? and does it always hold boost til the preset limit is reached or does it allow for little or no boost at light throttle? and just to double check the thought that I have, is the blow-off valve only for releasing pressure when the throttle closes? Like it says I'm a newbie, so help me out would ya?
Jazzie604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2002, 01:01 PM   #2
bluedragondsm
Super DSMtalker

91 Plymouth Laser 2.0
bluedragondsm's Gallery
im under the impresion that it slowly builds boost until the preset limit at full throttle

2.5'' full exhaust,98 gsx cams,k&n filter,Custom intake pipe,NGK plugs and wires,removed air can,EGR blockoff mod,Reverse indiglo gauges,Dropzone springs,2.25 front 2 back( not shown in pic),stock blue with a pearple pearl,16'' motegi mr8,225/50/16 kumho ecsta supras,clear corners(also not shown in pic), engine loom
bluedragondsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2002, 01:06 PM   #3
imoore
Hardcore DSMtalker

'97 Talon TSi
imoore's Gallery
A boost controller works as such:

When the intake gets pressurized by the turbo, the source for the MBC too gets pressureized. Once the pressure reaches a set point, it has enough force to move the ball inside the MBC and therefore go through to the wastegate and then open the wastegate. The pressure required to move the ball is adjustable through a bolt/screw at the top of the MBC. The harder it is to move the ball, the higher the boost pressure will be achieved.

I'm sure there's something I'm missing but it's something that, after a few years, I take for granted knowing.

Refer to this diagram (available here):

1997 Eagle Talon TSi FWD
Turbo Back 2.5" Exhaust, Boost Controller, Injen Intake, 1G BOV, Free Mods, Dejon Tool UICP, Fuel Pump Rewired, Ported 14B, Ported O2 housing, Ported Exhaust Manifold, All Red Tail Lights, 3rd Rev. HLAs, 190lph FP, Symorski Shift Kit, TT, FMIC, DIY CAI, DSMlink Up next: Some convienence mods.

imoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2002, 01:22 PM   #4
imoore
Hardcore DSMtalker

'97 Talon TSi
imoore's Gallery
I forgot about the BOV. The BOV opens when the pressure difference between the intake manifold (behind the throttle plate) and the intake track is great enough for the intake track pressure to overcome the spring in the BOV and vent the intake around. The BOV works under the same principal as a diaphram valve (I believe that's what it's called), which is the style valve used in high powered potato guns

1997 Eagle Talon TSi FWD
Turbo Back 2.5" Exhaust, Boost Controller, Injen Intake, 1G BOV, Free Mods, Dejon Tool UICP, Fuel Pump Rewired, Ported 14B, Ported O2 housing, Ported Exhaust Manifold, All Red Tail Lights, 3rd Rev. HLAs, 190lph FP, Symorski Shift Kit, TT, FMIC, DIY CAI, DSMlink Up next: Some convienence mods.

imoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2002, 01:56 PM   #5
scotthidley
Elite DSMtalker

92 TSI AWD / 05 Quattro
scotthidley's Gallery
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
In English:

The boost controller allows as much pressure to build as you set it to (of course the turbo doesn't go up to 12,224,343 psi). Regardless of throttle position (you can boost at partial throttle). Once the pressure hits the set limit, the controller will hold the pressure at that level (provided your still boosting).

The BOV just releases pressure, which most commonly is when you shift. It releases the pressure, momentarily lowering the engines power, making it easier on the clutch.
Advertisement