Custom Intake Measurements + Injen questions - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com > DSM Tech Central > Non Turbo Tech > All Things 1.8

DSMTalk.com is the premier Mitsubishi Eclipse Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-26-2002, 11:40 PM   #1
92Laser1.8
New DSMtalker

Plymouth Laser 1992
92Laser1.8's Gallery
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Post Custom Intake Measurements + Injen questions

Hey I was wondering if anyone had the measurements of the Injen intake pipe (including the bends needed). What would I need to make a custom intake, saving 200 + bucks (clamps, pipe?) Should I use Metal or PVC pipe? I have heard something about PVC pipe giving off deadly fumes when it gets hott... Once I do that I would like to cut the air can and attach a K&N air filter pointing towards the passenger fender (like on the Injen intake).

I also have another question for those with Injens...

Did you just throw away the air can or did they instruct you to cut it in the instructions ( I don't think they would do this but maybe).

I have seen a picture and it looks like the air can was thrown away and the filter is just held in by the 3 metal clips. Am I correct? Also did you have to lengthen the wire for the MAS with the Injen because of the new location of the filter setup?

How is the injen pipe held onto the air can lid? With collars?

The picture I have been using to gather questions and ultimately confuse myself...arrrgh
92Laser1.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2002, 02:03 AM   #2
eclipse2nr91
Hardcore DSMtalker

96 Eclipse Turbo GS
eclipse2nr91's Gallery
That's a lot to cover, but here goes...

I wouldn't bend it the same way the Injen is bent for the 2.0, first of all. More bends make more resistance, and the air has to travel further to get to the intake plenum. I'd either do a completely custom job (like a thread about some guy's custom one in this forum), or make one following the setup of stock. As long as you use piping (I'd definitely go metal, PVC has heating issues), it will get the air through easier, and will take in less heat. You can just throw out the air can, that's what I did, and the 3 clamps hold down on the filter itself just fine, without any gaps or anything. And no, the wires don't need to be altered at all with the Injen for the 4g63, as long as you face the MAS connector toward the battery/firewall, the wires will be fine.

Here's what you'll need to do this:
1. Some metal pipe, bent to fit of course
2. Rubber collars to connect the pipe to the TB and to the MAS (make sure you get the right diameter)
3. Clamps to keep collars connected to pipe
4. Breather filter for the engine (see where the vacuum line goes into the pipe, the little red tube coming out the side?) Since you won't have to put a "nipple" in the pipe, just get a breather filter for the engine...these are generally around 10 dollars where I've seen them.
5. Supports - supports are always good, unless you want your filter sitting down against stuff that can damage it. Just make something that can connect to a piece of frame or some other piece of solid metal under the hood (the Injen comes with 2 little brackets that go from the clamps on the filter collar to little metal supports that you just bolt on to a piece of metal, located somewhere in front of the battery)
6. Some patience, a little time, and a nice cold beer are always good with these things too

Eureka!! You've got yourself an intake! ...a big green intake with wings that's going to eat poor Gandolf!! Oh NOOOO!!!

JE's, CFDF, SBR FMIC, SBR MBC@13psi, etc...it goes on and on and on...
eclipse2nr91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2002, 11:16 PM   #3
Spyder1gdsm
Hardcore DSMtalker

1993 Talon TSi AWD
Spyder1gdsm's Gallery
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
When I get around to making my custom intake using bent piping, I'm sure i'll make it with the extra bend in the pipe that puts the filter closer to the fenderwall like in the picture. The reason I want to do this is because of the hot air from the radiator fan when at idle. I think turbulent air is still better than extremely hot air from the radiator IMO.
Old 01-04-2003, 12:16 AM   #4
dye*eclipse*2nr
DSMtalker

vw jetta gli, 04.5
dye*eclipse*2nr's Gallery
OK i installed my injen intake today. it was a breeze. i specifically ordered mine for the 1.8l. it came with 1 sleve for the throttle body, 1 to attache the intake pipe to the mas/filter 4 metal clamps, and a 8" vacum line. you totally ditch the aircan. heres pretty much how the installation goes in a short cut down version

take the entire stock intake pipe, box etc out. slip the smaller sleve over the throttle body, you hook the filter to the mas with the 3 clips from the airbox, and remove the bolt that is on the thermostat thingy. watch out cuz you might have some coolent leak out. but you install the pipe and make shure the bracket on the pipe lines up with the bolt for the thermostat, you connect the filter to the pipe with the other sleve and hook the mas back up. the wire is plenty long, it took me a long time cuz i couldnt find the right size sockets, i think you need like a 10mm 12mm and maybe a few others. if i had the right sizes right away it probly would have only took 10 or 20 mins. the car sounds much meaner but now my car keeps stalling. any help????
dye*eclipse*2nr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2003, 01:53 AM   #5
eclipse2nr91
Hardcore DSMtalker

96 Eclipse Turbo GS
eclipse2nr91's Gallery
It could be one of many problems...My guess would be that the ECU needs time to adjust to increased airflow, but I could be mistaken. Mine ran kinda crappy for a day or two after installation, then it ran fine. After that, the TB got all gummed up and was sticking, so I had to clean that out, and my car's been idling and running great ever since. Check to make sure the MAS is plugged in the whole way, and give it some time to see if it starts to idle properly.

JE's, CFDF, SBR FMIC, SBR MBC@13psi, etc...it goes on and on and on...
eclipse2nr91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement