DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com - View Single Post - Error Code P1715 Pulse Generator Assy

HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

Notices

DSMTalk.com is the premier Mitsubishi Eclipse Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2019, 10:40 PM   #1
97GreenSpyder
Super DSMtalker

'97 Eclipse GS-T Spyder
97GreenSpyder's Gallery
Error Code P1715 Pulse Generator Assy

Has anyone gotten a P1715 error code and lost the use of several gears in an automatic (F4A33) transmission?

Was driving my '97 Eclipse GS-T Spyder back from Louisville this afternoon when the car "bucked" and I heard a "bang" (doing about 20mph, pulling out of a parking lot). The check engine light lit up and my trip computer indicated a code P1715 (Pulse Generator Assy). Transmission appears to be stuck in either 2nd or 3rd gear (O/D switch position makes no difference). Made it home staying at the speed limit (70mph @4500 rpm), letting the cruise control keep it steady up I-71. Other than being stuck in one gear, the engine and transmission gave me no problems over the 90 mile return.

According to what I can find by researching, the PGA measures the relative speed of the input and transfer shafts inside the transmission using two sensors feeding a single connector. This allows the transmission to control shifting.

Question: has anyone had this happen, and will a sensor replacement ($39.70 from Amazon) fix it? Unfortunately, with all the other hardware, wires, and tubes in the engine bay, I can't even see the sensors, which are mounted on the end of the F4A33 transmission housing, to try and use a multimeter in an attempt to check the resistance of the individual sensors (recommended diagnostic procedure).

So it would be helpful to know if a P1715 always means a FUBAR'd sensor. BTW, the same PGA is used from 1991-1999.

Also, the car acted a bit strange the last time I made the same 180 mile round trip. Upon starting back, the transmission seemed to be stuck in one gear for a mile or two, then returned to shifting normally, although the cruise control was iffy for about 30 miles. But after it quit acting up, I had no problems for the past month, but was only driving on short trips. Thinking that I was maybe low on transmission fluid, I checked right after that trip, but the level of fluid was fine. It was only after I had today driven 90 miles, parked, then later returned to the car (same modus operandi), that I got a P1715 and a balky transmission.

One other thought- the last few times that I drove the car, it seemed to be low on power from a stop. Wondered about that, but now I think that maybe I had already lost 1st gear, while 2nd thru 4th were still working.
143K not-so-daily driver, now that I'm retired. Last fall had the convertible top replaced (second time since I bought the car in '07). Also had most of the body repainted (peeling clearcoat) by a first-class bodyshop. Took five weeks, for a total cost for both jobs of $4K. Car looks almost new now. BTW, damn tired of seeing the obnoxious Eclipse Cross commercials. It's heresy using the Eclipse name on a damn SUV.
97GreenSpyder is offline   Reply With Quote