Just Because Its How Im Feeling - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com > Other Stuff > DSMtalk.com Stuff

DSMTalk.com is the premier Mitsubishi Eclipse Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 07:51 AM   #1
matthewdunn
New DSMtalker

1994 gst, 1991 mr2
matthewdunn's Gallery
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Just Because Its How Im Feeling

i should post it on a forum. im new to dsmtalk as you can see, but not new to auto, motorcycle, and marine forums. i've read the rules, will abide, BUT they are not very NEW user friendly. alot of restrictions on put on new users due to the fact that they "might" be a nuisance or problem for the old users. doesnt make for a strong welcome mat. just might wanna consider this. or not. lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2012, 08:15 AM   #2
Ripper_XX
Ultra DSMtalker

Eagle Talon TSi 1990
Ripper_XX's Gallery
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Re: Just Because Its How Im Feeling

People have mentioned this for years. It hasn't changed and isn't likely going too, the forum survives due to dedicated and intelligent members who do abide by the rules. And i'm sure will continue too. I'm sure you will get used to it and over time learn to enjoy this forum. As we are always glad to have new members.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:36 AM   #3
shott17
Honorary Moderator

04 2500HD,97 TSI AWD
shott17's Gallery
Feedback Score: 16 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewdunn View Post
i should post it on a forum. im new to dsmtalk as you can see, but not new to auto, motorcycle, and marine forums. i've read the rules, will abide, BUT they are not very NEW user friendly. alot of restrictions on put on new users due to the fact that they "might" be a nuisance or problem for the old users. doesnt make for a strong welcome mat. just might wanna consider this. or not. lol

Apparently that is all except rule 7.

And exactly what restrictions are you referring to? The only restriction besides lurker period is a 50/90 classifieds restriction. And if that is what you are concerned about then I shall tell you the same thing that has been told to every other person to complain. This is a community. You reap the benefits of being a contributing part of this community. You do not contribute, then you don't get to enjoy the same benefits as someone who does. Ya don't weigh in, ya don't box. Get it champ?

DSMTalk Master Rules!

Last edited by shott17; 10-21-2012 at 08:40 AM.

Old 10-21-2012, 08:36 AM   #4
matthewdunn
New DSMtalker

1994 gst, 1991 mr2
matthewdunn's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripper_XX View Post
People have mentioned this for years. It hasn't changed and isn't likely going too, the forum survives due to dedicated and intelligent members who do abide by the rules. And i'm sure will continue too. I'm sure you will get used to it and over time learn to enjoy this forum. As we are always glad to have new members.
oh i believe it. theres never a shortage of filth and degradation on any forum, but as it stands atm new users appear to be locked from a majority of the site. i joined this site cause im an avid eclipse/talon owner. yet instead of feeling welcome i feel restricted like i need to be approved for my enthusiasm.

i do agree rules are rules and for the best of a community as i will also abide by them. its not that i disapprove or feel the need to complain, but i guess the impression i got wasnt exactly "welcome"

@shott17

lmao "And I will abide"

Last edited by matthewdunn; 10-21-2012 at 08:41 AM.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:42 AM   #5
shott17
Honorary Moderator

04 2500HD,97 TSI AWD
shott17's Gallery

What are you locked out of? I am missing your complaint apparently.

DSMTalk Master Rules!
Old 10-21-2012, 08:46 AM   #6
matthewdunn
New DSMtalker

1994 gst, 1991 mr2
matthewdunn's Gallery

-_- its not a complaint its a mere observation.

e/ i wasnt allowed to view any of the site for 1 month, im not allowed to post in the build sections where i can ask questions about my new founded interest in these cars as well?
Old 10-21-2012, 09:22 AM   #7
shott17
Honorary Moderator

04 2500HD,97 TSI AWD
shott17's Gallery

You can post in the build diary section. You just can't create your own thread until you meet the criteria. And if you couldnt view the site for a month, that was most likely your error. As that is not a parameter of our restrictions. You have a 7 day lurker period that you may not post in. And that is to stop spam. Every thing is done for a reason, and long thought out and discussed. There was no half ass planning. As a user, you must understand too that certain forums serve certain purpose. You can post in a build diary, but you can't create your own yet. And for a reason such as you listed. The build diary is not the place to be asking what you should do. That is why we have a newbie, tech, and help tech forum(not to mention a search feature). A build diary is for you to show us what you are doing. So new guys show up, post a build diary thread with no conviction to the site, and its never updated and a waste of bandwidth. This is why there are restrictions. And on top of that, everyone is restricted in the build diary section. As every new thread needs moderator approval before it even shows on the board.

Put in some time. Like all new guys you should be reading the tech sections, searching if you have a question and then if you are still pressed and can't seem to find what you are looking for then post in the newbie section or even tech section if appropriate and someone will either give you an answer or point you in the right direction.

DSMTalk Master Rules!
Old 10-21-2012, 09:51 AM   #8
HOT97ECLIPSEGSX
Site Administrator

1997 Mitsu Eclipse GSX
HOT97ECLIPSEGSX's Gallery
Feedback Score: 27 reviews

Shott nailed it on the head.

It's not that you need to "prove" yourself. Think of it this way: Let's say you were an established member and have been around for a year or so. Some new guy comes on the forum offering to sell something. You send your $400 for some cams. The cams never show and the guy never logs in again. You're out your $400. I had an issues with a member on this site after I joined 6 years ago. If it weren't for a stand up guy on the forums, I would have lost my money. Lesson learned. Now, while this can also happen with an established member, it is less likely.

We are sticklers on rule #7 and making sure you type sentences like mine. Examples:

1. do nat tak lik dis wen u post 3v3n if u married ur phone

2. Please post like this. This is easier to read.

DSMtalk Rules and FAQ!!
1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX - 12.281 @ 115.85 MPH (KCIR) - Weekend Terrorizor
2012 Subaru Impreza Limited AWD - The Daily
Old 10-21-2012, 11:23 AM   #9
matthewdunn
New DSMtalker

1994 gst, 1991 mr2
matthewdunn's Gallery

I understand both your points. I guess from my point of being a trader and a vendor on other sites is you pick your trades. If you want to trade freely with non verified paypal accounts or deal in cash transactions, you take the chance of being scammed. There are ways to trade without worry without the forum deciding who you should or can trade with. What makes you think that getting 50 posts and waiting 90 days stops a person from trying to scam? If anything that would just make it easier for a trader to trust that person and send larger amounts of money naively.

Of course these are all opinions and to say "It's not that you need to "prove" yourself," but using an explanation that basically says you would rather trade with users who have "shown" good manners and trustworthiness is the same difference.
Old 10-21-2012, 12:21 PM   #10
HOT97ECLIPSEGSX
Site Administrator

1997 Mitsu Eclipse GSX
HOT97ECLIPSEGSX's Gallery
Feedback Score: 27 reviews

There is a lot of truth in what you're saying. Someone looking to make a quick buck usually isn't going to wait 3 months just to scam on DSMtalk. There are other websites that allow access immediately. There are robots and scripts and things that run that can make bogus posts and sell things and scam you out of your money.

Obviously, it is up to the buyer to verify the legitimacy of the seller (this includes verified paypal addresses, etc). This is a standard process that's been in place on DSMtalk for a long time. If you would like to buy/sell parts/cars, or view the classifieds, you'll have to wait the 90 days and have 50 posts.

These are the rules you agreed to when you joined the site. This is also inclusive of rule #7.

Closed as this has been discussed to death.

DSMtalk Rules and FAQ!!
1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX - 12.281 @ 115.85 MPH (KCIR) - Weekend Terrorizor
2012 Subaru Impreza Limited AWD - The Daily
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread