Lazylaserís DSM Journey 97 Talon - Page 5 - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com > Other Stuff > Moderators' Rides

DSMTalk.com is the premier Mitsubishi Eclipse Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 07-11-2009, 11:40 PM   #61
Black_ bullet
Ultra DSMtalker

92Plymouth Laser RS AWD
Black_ bullet's Gallery
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Re: Lazylaserís DSM journey 97 talon

That sucks and i agree with a lot of what you said, this is a tough hobby that gives questionable overall enjoyment.
Hope you get it straightened out, or at least make the right decision as to what would be next step.
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2009, 12:05 AM   #62
speed_demon
DSMtalker

Dont have a dsm atm.
speed_demon's Gallery
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Sucks to hear about what happened. Good luck.
Owning a DSM is like dating a stripper. Sure, it's fun to ride and show off but, it will break your heart once in a while. When this happens, keep your head up, and ask your fellow DSMtalkers for advice.!
speed_demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 12:15 AM   #63
lazylaser

97 talon tsi awd 6 bolt
lazylaser's Gallery
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Are all PTE's this bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed_demon View Post
Sucks to hear about what happened. Good luck.
Thanks guys for the support, I almost feel like I need it right now, as this all went down OH less than 3 hours ago...

SD, your sig now brings a tear to my eye.
Quote:
Owning a DSM is like dating a stripper. Sure, it's fun to ride and show off but, it will break your heart once in a while. When this happens, keep your head up, and ask your fellow DSMtalkers for advice.!
My head is still up, I'm not thrilled about tossing much needed money away, and less thrilled about being totally defeated at the moment. I'm just glad that is was nothing worse, nobody died and the car still got me home. But let me check my wallet, I have $21 total and no job, thats the bad part.

Old 07-12-2009, 12:37 AM   #64
Jdog

Jdog's Gallery
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I know exactly how you feel. I had the car back together and running when midway through me driving to school the top neck of my radiator broke to pieces. I had to borrow some cash to even get a replacement and get her back together. I have 89 cents in my bank account . I completely understand where you come from saying its a junkie lifestyle but at the same time, once you hit sweet mother boost it all goes away. I hope everything goes better for you and heres to one day having our cars finished.....
Jdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 12:45 AM   #65
Asmodeus
Elite DSMtalker

2005 Evolution VIII RS
Asmodeus's Gallery
Feedback Score: 11 reviews

*Please remember to change your oil ASAFP!*

This was a sucky night. Lazy popped a coolant line earlier in the day so we spent most of the early evening making sure everything was OK. Temps were in line, and nothing funny was going on. Poor guy changed the thermostat, rad cap, and gave her fresh coolant JUST for shits and giggles to make sure everything would be ok for going out and doing some pulls.

It was hot and humid so we waited for things to cool off.

We did the first pull at WG pressure (about 10.XXpsi) just to do a quick fail check on anything pertinent... (Like the WG etc) Then we backed the boost controller ALL the way back off... and did another pull. It's an old crappy mbc so it put us around 18psi or so. So he cranked it up and it was a lb or so over our target with a little taper. So I had him knock it down a hair...

Next pull it got a little weak towards the end of the pull but boost was about 24/25psi. It went to about 23psi at the end of the log. But the power seemed to fall off in greater proportion... so like he said. We stopped to check EVERYTHING. It was only kind of weaker so we thought we popped a line somewhere. Not like a HUGE leak / coupler etc.

I decided to do one more pull to see if we held our target boost / or blow off whatever was leaking since we looked at everything and couldn't find a single thing leaking.

I feel guilty honestly for green lighting another pull, but I think the damage was already done at that point. It came up on about 20psi then POOF... we popped a coupler. (or so we thought) I told him to get off the exit - we slow down and I hear tinging-ish sounds. He starts dodging bumps thinking he's dragging his LICP. I'm wincing at the thought of having to buy a new coupler / LICP as its dragging on the ground. (We forgot to ziptie it UP, just in case.) So I'm already feeling like an ass for not remembering / or reminding him to tie it back up.

As we roll into BP... we jump out and pop the hood. The pipe is still ON. I look up to see a thick blue smoke coming out of the back of the exhaust.

FUCK!

I can now hear the tinging turbo blades and what now sounds like rattling garbage sounds coming from the turbo. He shuts it down pulls the filter off. I notice a blade has a slight bend to it. FUCK! What the FUCK!?

I reach in to the flaming hot mother fucker to see if she's got in and out. Yep... tons. Side to side... yep... contact. FUCK! This is BULLSHIT. 3 pulls? Out of a freshly rebuilt turbo? Rebuilt by PTE themselves?

I'm thinking GTFO of here... no way. It must have not gotten OIL. I pull the feed line on the spot. It's about 200* and we take turns playing hot potatoe trying to get it off. He flips it upside down and oil pours out.

It had oil. There was no oil out of the compressor housing either. Like bad seals / too much pressure / etc.

At this point we're both mystified. And just kind of stand there for a while shaking our heads in disbelief. It's not one of those moments you want to share with a fellow DSM'er... let alone one of your friends.

I vote it goes back to PTE. In fact I think I'm going to call them on Monday to go through a failure checklist.
THEN, you can send it back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackedDSM View Post
Jesus Christ.... Asmo is simply the baddest mother fucker on DSMTalk. Period.

Last edited by Asmodeus; 07-12-2009 at 12:50 AM.
Asmodeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 01:00 AM   #66
speed_demon
DSMtalker

Dont have a dsm atm.
speed_demon's Gallery

I'm with Asmo on it getting returned. Nothing was wrong on your part, PTE must of had not done something right if it went bad in less than 5 pulls.
speed_demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 01:14 AM   #67
lazylaser

97 talon tsi awd 6 bolt
lazylaser's Gallery

Quote:
I feel guilty honestly for green lighting another pull, but I think the damage was already done at that point.
Don’t… not at all, the damage already took place, you and I both know that. One last pull was good because at least I was with someone. Since it was going to happen anyways I’m glad it happened right then so we both knew that everything was 100% and all the info was right on dsmlink, if you weren’t there I would have been second guessing the events of the night for the longest time, wondering if it was something I did, or if I remembered correctly what happened.

Quote:
3 pulls? Out of a freshly rebuilt turbo? Rebuilt by PTE themselves?
Yep, scary huh.

I’m going to call PTE Monday and see what they can do for me, I have to say I honestly feel AFAID to use anything from PTE from this point forward…even my PTE injectors.

Anything that has broken on the DSM in the past (aside from the TRE transmission) has been my doing… too much of this, not enough of that or being lazy. This turbo exploding was out of my hands and this is really a new feeling of WTF. My brother lost his WHOLE motor and turbo on the Mr2, due to something out of his control and he is worse off financially than me, his car is still motor less. I have to say I’m beginning to feel his pain. Mystified as asmo had said, captures the feeling of the moment.

What I mean, is that everything was perfect and the parts were well within their operating range yet I experienced epic failure with the least likely part.

I'm not one to jump on manufacturers, esp if it was something I did, I'll be able to make a better assessment of what happened after we go through a failure checklist with PTE, though I have a feeling they will be “Mystified” as well…

Last edited by lazylaser; 07-12-2009 at 01:18 AM.
lazylaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 01:20 AM   #68
91turbodsm
Super DSMtalker

91 gst--sold
91turbodsm's Gallery
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Damn dude! I know how you feel about the money issue. My car was overheating and I have spent tons of money trying to get it fixed.

I also agree with Asmo about returning it. Especially if it went bad in only 5 pulls, and there is no sign of too much or not enough oil pressure.

Good luck with everything man! In the end, it will all be worth it.

Andrew
91turbodsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 01:32 AM   #69
Asmodeus
Elite DSMtalker

2005 Evolution VIII RS
Asmodeus's Gallery
Feedback Score: 11 reviews

You know I was thinking about it... and I didn't see a <50 miles or 5 pulls whichever comes first sticker on it... did you Ben?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackedDSM View Post
Jesus Christ.... Asmo is simply the baddest mother fucker on DSMTalk. Period.
Asmodeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 09:56 AM   #70
MindBlowin03
Honorary Moderator

'97 TSi AWD
MindBlowin03's Gallery
Feedback Score: 20 reviews

I would definitely call PTE about this. I had a PTE turbo rebuilt a few years back(57 trim) and I read alot of mixed reviews on their rebuilding quality so I sent it somewhere else. I dont think Id ever use them.
'97 Talon AWD - 6 bolt block/head | 8.5:1 Mahle/Eagle | 60mm HX-40(T3 .70 A/R) | ERL T3 manifold | SBC SS-X/B clutch | HKS 272s | VRSF FMIC | 3" exhaust | Cyclone Intake(T25 actuated) | Walbro 450 | FIC Hi-Z 2150s | BR8ES @ .018" | DSMlink V3 (SD) | Flex Fuel
565 awhp 524 lb/ft <-- 2010 56mm HX40
'98 Spyder GS-T - FIC 850s | Walbro 255 | HKS 264 cams | RVR Hyper Sport 16g | 3" exhaust | Punishment FMIC | ACT 2100 | ACT flywheel | DSMlink V3 (SD) | Flex fuel
MindBlowin03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 12:44 AM   #71
lazylaser

97 talon tsi awd 6 bolt
lazylaser's Gallery

I didn’t take the turbo off yet, I wanted to take a full day off from the car and rethink my game plan.

I took many pictures, but only one really turned out because it was dark and my camera never really works anyways.

As you can see the fins don’t look so hot, if you reach in and touch the wheel you can wiggle it around and it very easily touches the sides

So now that this PTE 50 trim is absolute toast. I have to come up with something quick…As this is my d.d. and only car.

I have two turbos here, an evo 16g that has in out & side to side shaft play which also smokes, and a 14b that has in and out shaft play but does not smoke.

So, I think I’ll bolt the 14b on for the time being, but I’ll be using the ported evo 16g turbine housing.

Here are some pictures for comparison. All turbos are MHI, no ebay junk.

Here is the 14b.

Here is the evo 16g.

The unported 14b,

The ported evo 16g.

Just to show how much better, the evo 16g turbine housing is over the unported 14b housing here are some side by side pictures.(Lighter, better material, much larger ports, etc.)

Since both turbos use the tdo5 exhaust wheel I don’t see a problem swapping the evo housing onto the 14b.

This might be a smart move on my part as I’ll be sure not to break a damn thing with the 14b as I continue to look for a job to support my habit.

Luckily I still have the j pipe and other misc install parts for this style turbo. So I can get it back on in a day.

After this is all behind me, I’ll go for the Borg Warner s256 like I wanted or something else from BW or holset being that I need a new exhaust manifold anyways.
By that time I might be able to ditch the mitsu bolt on and go t3/t4.
I'm going to ask around and see if anyone wants to trade a better condition 14b or 16g locally, for guns or dirtbikes as that is all I have worth anything, that way at least I won't have to bolt on this 14b "needs a rebuild" turbo.
Thoughts?

Last edited by lazylaser; 07-13-2009 at 12:49 AM.
lazylaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 02:03 AM   #72
Die-Civic-Die
Hardcore DSMtalker

1990 Talon TSI AWD
Die-Civic-Die's Gallery

Damn, that f**king sucks dude.
POFS PTE turboes.

I'd rather run a (temporary) T3 adapter plate and a $700 ATP 50trim than an PTE SCM
Die-Civic-Die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 02:42 AM   #73
b00stedtalon2
Hardcore DSMtalker

03' EVO VIII
b00stedtalon2's Gallery
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Damn, sucks to hear about the 50trim.

But I would definitely rock that 14b with the 16g turbine housing.
b00stedtalon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 11:44 AM   #74
lazylaser

97 talon tsi awd 6 bolt
lazylaser's Gallery

Since I bought this from a third party, not directly from a vendor or from PTE, I'm in contact with him as of 5 minutes ago, so far he has been a stand up guy, and he said he will fax over the reciepts from the rebuild and the warranty paperwork, which is great because I'm sure if I called PTE without that I would be SOL.

I'm building my "Killer" 14b right now, to hold me over.
Old 07-13-2009, 12:40 PM   #75
93_GSX
Ultra DSMtalker

1993 Mitsu GSX
93_GSX's Gallery
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Sorry to hear about all your work getting toasted. I had to give up daily driving my GSX for similar reasons, I just can't afford DDing my race car, I've got to many responsabilities.
93_GSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement