DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rook's White Bitch. The never ending build.

69K views 169 replies 58 participants last post by  DSM Rook 
#1 ·
I've had a few people interested in seeing pictures of my car so I'll start off with some history and work my way to the current.

The begining
I was introduced to DSM's in 97 thanks to my brother. We later fixed his friends 91 GSX by putting a used engine and tranny into it. I got to drive it for a few months due to his friend breaking his right arm. I fell in love with 1st gens and had to own one. One day my friend calls and says, go take out $750, I found a shell for you. So with out question, I ran to the bank, and grabbed some cash. He borrowed a flatbed from work and went to pick up a car. One look and it was perfect. Rather clean body with a blown engine. 11/13/03 I brought home my first DSM

We brought it home at night;

Daylight

And the broken heart;

So the plan was drop a JDM engine in and use this as my winter car. I also changed the brakes and a few other items to get things running.

So the swap began just in time with snow falling.

See less See more
#3 ·
Didn't realize I hit submit but the story continues.

I drove the car through winter and loved it. I put some snow tires on the stock wheels and painted them black. As summer came the car needed more work. So I replaced the shocks with GR2's and added an Eibach Pro Kit. I also replaced all the suspension bushings with Energy Suspension Poly bushings. I also added my brothers Rota's and decided to keep it around during the warm months.

Next came some mods. I blew my 14b so I picked up a new ported Evo 3 16g, RRE downpipe with a VRS catback. Upgraded some other items including a maft and afc.

Cleaned up the interior with some Home Depot carpet (which they no longer sell)

The years with no pics
My computer sh*t the bed before I managed to back up some pictures. Basically I was running a JDM long block with my Evo3 16g turbo, Evo3 o2 housing, RRE downpipe and Magnaflow Muffler. I had a 255hp pump, Aeromotive Regulator, FIC 650 injectors, DSMChip, Maft and AFCII. I picked up a ETS ic from the early years and was running a Tial bov. I relocated the battery with a functional kill switch and used a Marosso battery box. I removed the rear seat because I traveled a lot and wanted more space. I dynoed the car and was putting down 294 at the wheels on 20psi.

The undocumented engine swap
Short story, My bro had a misshap with his 96 with a 6 bolt swap so I took his engine. It was a Ross piston, 1g rod engine, with crower springs, stainless valves and bronze guides. Ran the HKS 264/272 combo with a SBR 50 Trim. Also had a SFP exhaust mani and Dejon intake mani. This was a lot of fun. Never tracked the car, but it was around 350awhp. But we decided to part that engine out since I was going back to a winter car.

#4 ·
Time for the present
So about a full year ago I took my car of the road for the summer. I picked up a short block that was bored .040 with 2g pistons and 1g rods that were shot peaned. New oil pump, no balance shafts. I had a head cleaned up and fitted with new stainless valves, bronze guides and SI springs. I have a set of 272's chilling when I decide I have enough cash for a bigger turbo. I sent my tranny out to Shep for the 2nd time to take care of a leak :( and well it has double synro 1-4, 4 gear spider, and well everything he can put into it thats upgradable, lol. I will have a act 2600 and street disc with an ACT flywheel.

So I thought, lets do some cleaning, out came the engine.

The primer spots were some bare metal areas I hit with primer since I then power washed the engine bay... you'll see.

I'm a mini trucker and we love shaving things. So I took my welder and grinding wheel and had some fun. (Note, no filler was used, just metal. all the primer spots are where holes were)

Then came time to clean up the subframe... since its out. POR-15 was used on these parts.

Sandblasted

Painted

Before

After

Remember that nasty looking engine bay that looked like a cow exploded?

So I got the idea to run stainless lines for my brakes. I also decided I would run AN line for my fuel since those were looking unstable.

Hour later

6-8 hours later

Guess what?! I trashed all of those lines. Even with a $400 flaring tool I had sealing issues and ruined a proportioning valve. You'll see what I did later

#5 ·
Moving right along. I assembled the engine with some arp's and a metal head gasket and dropped that into my now fresh engine bay.

Note, I modified my timing engine mount and swapped over to black bushings. Also I swapped to a manual rack with new inner and outter tie rods, and boots.

Shep tranny also looking pretty

And the parts made their way home

Only time you'll really see my FMIC

Just about ready to fire

So I pushed it outside and fired the car up. I put in my 272's because I realized I no longer had a stock set of cams. I also picked up punishment o2 housing with dump.

She runs,

FMIC cover (keeps sand out during winter)

Before the car went any further my new valve cover came in.

Ready to go with new winter rims (sold the rota's)

I hate you rust, I hate you
So the car runs great. I take it down 3 miles to the gas station to fill up. God damn I miss this car. It vibrates a bit more with fresh poly engine mounts and new poly subframe mounts, but damn its nice.
I return home from getting gas and park in the garage. I come back in to smell gas. WTF? I have a new filler neck so its not that. None of my AN fittings were leaking....

The return line cracked...

So good thing dads GSX was empty, because he got a free tank of gas

#8 ·
Dang dude, good luck with the repairs, the car is looking awesome by the way. My roommate and i are starting up our DSM projects in a couple of weeks, but mine needs a block swap so its gonna be interesting. Shops here in town kill DSMers with their outrageous prices and their fake knowledge on DSMs.

#11 ·
Great job man. I too drive an nice ****** and was considering a smooth pink VC like that too, Looks awesome!

#13 ·
Thanks for tuning in. Last time we left off at my leaking fuel line...

Most normal people would repair the line and continue boosting away. I've been told I'm not normal. So what do you do when you have a leaky line?

Drop the rear subframe

Then drop the tank and the lines

Then your left with a rusty underbody. Aren't ya glad I drive winters?

I layed on a creeper just sadened by the site. So out came the power washer, scrub brushes and some cleaners. My garage floor got a good cleaning as well, lmao. Then onto the POR-15.

But then a friend on a local forum said, thats nice but would look better white. And well I listened...

Lets get sidetracked

So while I'm working on the underbody I'm also doing things to the interior. I don't give a sh*t about weight reduction. I'd rather a real street car. So with that in mind as well as some comfort, I picked up a lot of Fat Mat.

Halfway to quiet.

Not too quiet, I picked up all new infinity speakers. Components up front with tweeters in the dash, 5.25" in the doors with a cross over. An amp will be mounted under the seat with some 6x9's in the rear.

Go go gadet!!

How bout a neat turbo timer location?

I wanted my center vent back as I do plan to put Air Conditioning back into the car. Yes, call me a bitch.

So I wanted my gauges where my controls were. But what to do with the controls?

Ready for fiberglass. I plan to glass the controls flush. I removed the overlays so I can add them back. In this location everything is fully functional. Even the lights.

#82 ·
So I wanted my gauges where my controls were. But what to do with the controls?

Ready for fiberglass. I plan to glass the controls flush. I removed the overlays so I can add them back. In this location everything is fully functional. Even the lights.

I'm very interested how exactly you managed this, because I tried the same thing myself and couldn't get the cables to work right. They need just the right amount of tension and I tried various routes but in the end gave up. If you got the right recipe I might try again :)

#14 ·
Stainless brake lines are cool...
... when someone else makes them. I packed up my brake lines... ALL of them, even the clutch line. I sent my lines off to Classic Tube located in upstate NY. I kinda got laughed at when I told them what kind of car I had since no one has ever requested lines. But anyway off my lines went. The master to prop valve, prop to front, prop to rear, and the front connector line for the soft lines. Oh and the clutch. I pretty much failed with trying to make my own. I could not get the Master to proportioning valve to seal.
So 1 month later at a cost of $300 (plus about $50 total in shipping) I have these... rather sexy pieces.

So once you go stainless... You get stainless hardware...

Now remember that nasty ass subframe? With saggy rubber bushings? and lame active toe links?

Well I contacted Chuck at Bonehead Performance. I was pleased with my valve cover he did for me so I took a little road trip down to NJ with my rear subframe, mustache brace, trailing arms, lower arms, and some mounts. I really enjoyed meeting him and his dad and seeing their powdercoat colors. Awsome place, I recommend them, pleased with everything.

Before I jump to those pictures. I picked up a set of Jay Racing toe link eliminators.

We don't need no water let that motha focka burn!!!

Some welding and minor changes...

So after powdercoat... Mirror Black

Now I also need to thank JNZ Tuning for dealing with Mitsu. These guys helped me find a lot of stock parts from eccentric bolts, dust shields, e-brake cables, wheel bearings, ect. Just a good shop to deal with. I'm not trying to advertise these people as I get nothing from it but, more of a heads up. I've delt with a lot of big names. When I find a good shop, I stick to it.
My new subframe mounts and new bolts from JNZ, powdercoated by Bonehead Performance

I also cleaned up my new 4 bolt with LSD and added new seals

So I'm still going to need fuel. Since afterall I did have a broken line. I do not plan on having crazy horse power with this car. Its not my style and well... this car WILL SEE WINTER. So I'm running -6 feed and return line.

To make it simple I bulk headed the sending unit and made a custom fitting for my pump using part of the stock unit...

Don't mind the blue bulk heads, my black ones will be here tomorrow (yes, all focking black fittings)

So I'm at the point of mock up. I decided my fuel filter would be better under the car. I don't want to look at it.

So I wait for my 2 45* fittings to arrive tomorrow

#16 ·
And thanks for the comments so far. Someone mentioned being worried about the solid pulley. Well my stock one sh*t the bed, this was free. I thought about fluid dampners but have read they can go bad? Meh, I'll let it eat for now. This engine won't be in for ever.
I just take my time with this stuff. Its a hobby. I'm more of a mini trucker anyway. I just think its fun.

#21 ·
DKPR87 said:
Dang dude, good luck with the repairs, the car is looking awesome by the way. My roommate and i are starting up our DSM projects in a couple of weeks, but mine needs a block swap so its gonna be interesting. Shops here in town kill DSMers with their outrageous prices and their fake knowledge on DSMs.
(Sorry, a little off topic) - I wish I were back home to help. I live in Choctaw, OK. There is a shop in Midwest City - http://www.abelracing.com/ - I've been to thier shop and they always have DSMs on the lifts, and more outside.

#23 ·
Draki said:
(Sorry, a little off topic) - I wish I were back home to help. I live in Choctaw, OK. There is a shop in Midwest City - http://www.abelracing.com/ - I've been to thier shop and they always have DSMs on the lifts, and more outside.

I saw a Talon of thiers at the track a few weekends ago. In the 10's

Rook, I hate you. My gay ass build thread sucks.

#26 ·
Thanks for the comments everyone. I have a few friends who ask me to do this to their car BUT up next will be a black on charcoal 93 for my dad.

Anyway just so you all know, this will be a year round car. I live in CT so we get snow and well I have snow tires ready on 2g wheels (which I need to paint black)

I'm doing all of this to kind of bring the car back to 1990 and start over. I'm planning to have this my daily driver. I do plan on a bigger turbo, but why not? I love driving this thing.

I hope to have my fittings in tonight for the fuel system. I'm also waiting on AN line wrenches which should be here tomorrow. Right now I have the front subframe out to make the RMDSM front swaybar fit. What a pain in the ass this thing is.

Pics and updates tonight!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.