suspension nightmare - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com > DSM Tech Central > Suspension and Handling Tech

DSMTalk.com is the premier Mitsubishi Eclipse Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-24-2014, 10:16 PM   #1
aakhan715
New DSMtalker

mitsubishi/eclipse/98
aakhan715's Gallery
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
suspension nightmare

I have 98 rs fwd, brand new front control arms, tie rods.

I went with stagg 4 struts off eBay and those cheap adjustable coilover springs off eBay. Complete fail. I went cheap because funds are low.

10 min After installing the seat of the spring on the front passenger strut broke and the car hit rock bottom. The company sent me a replacement and I had to pay the mechanic all over again to switch it out. 10 minutes into drive 2 struts snapped again. I believe it has something to do with those crap adjustable springs putting pressure on the wrong place of the seat.

So after being even further low on funds I've decided to just go with something dependable. After all the research, I'm in between tokico hp and kyb. Cheapest tein I've seen are 1000. I don't think the car is worth that much also. Completly lost on the springs

It's a daily driver and the roads in NYC are horrible, Potholes and bumps everywhere. I just need a smooth ride, that will last, and I'm on a budget. Any assistance is appreciated. Thanks.
aakhan715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2014, 10:46 PM   #2
aakhan715
New DSMtalker

mitsubishi/eclipse/98
aakhan715's Gallery
Re: suspension nightmare

Alsi, does anyone have experience with tein basis?
Old 12-24-2014, 11:20 PM   #3
Sean485
Senior Moderator

99 Spyder "GSX"
Sean485's Gallery
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

What are you looking to get out of it? KYB was oem manufacturer for the struts for these cars so the baseline stuff from them is going to be oem quality and work fine with stock-ish springs but if you are trying to get the car more than 1-2" lower than stock you need struts designed for that. If you only care about the ride use stock springs with new struts and it would be fine.

99 Spyder "GSX"

Sean Clancy
Sean485 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-25-2014, 01:38 AM   #4
aakhan715
New DSMtalker

mitsubishi/eclipse/98
aakhan715's Gallery

I actually would like about 1"-1.5" drop, primarily in the front. After wasting all thia money the firat 2 rounds, I figure if I'm going to go through all the money as far as buying the kyb 's, springs, and paying the mechanic for the third time, I might as well add a few more now and get something good instead of having to do the whole thing again.
Old 08-08-2015, 04:58 PM   #5
Th3ory
DSMtalker

1997 TSi
Th3ory's Gallery

I read somewhere on this forum the Tokico Hp are built to handle a lower riding spring, might be better than kyb's, but im not sure. But after searching I found information saying Tokico hp with lowering springs will result in pre-mature damage. Can anyone confirm this which it is?

Would "Tokico HP", with "pro kit lowering springs-1.3 inch lower" be a bad idea?

Last edited by Th3ory; 08-08-2015 at 05:03 PM.
Th3ory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 06:41 AM   #6
MindBlowin03
Honorary Moderator

'97 TSi AWD
MindBlowin03's Gallery
Feedback Score: 20 reviews

Most aftermarket struts will handle the Eibach Pro-Kit quite well IMO. Personally, I've used KYB AGX, Tokico Blue and Tokico Illumina. The KYB was the the stiffest ride of them all.
'97 Talon AWD - 6 bolt block/head | 8.5:1 Mahle/Eagle | 60mm HX-40(T3 .70 A/R) | ERL T3 manifold | SBC SS-X/B clutch | HKS 272s | VRSF FMIC | 3" exhaust | Cyclone Intake(T25 actuated) | Walbro 450 | FIC Hi-Z 2150s | BR8ES @ .018" | DSMlink V3 (SD) | Flex Fuel
565 awhp 524 lb/ft <-- 2010 56mm HX40
'98 Spyder GS-T - FIC 850s | Walbro 255 | HKS 264 cams | RVR Hyper Sport 16g | 3" exhaust | Punishment FMIC | ACT 2100 | ACT flywheel | DSMlink V3 (SD) | Flex fuel
MindBlowin03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 06:02 PM   #7
Th3ory
DSMtalker

1997 TSi
Th3ory's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBlowin03 View Post
Most aftermarket struts will handle the Eibach Pro-Kit quite well IMO. Personally, I've used KYB AGX, Tokico Blue and Tokico Illumina. The KYB was the the stiffest ride of them all.
Very good to know, thank you for the information!
Th3ory is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement