1G Race motor in a 2G Automatic, Flexplate issue - Page 2 - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com > DSM Tech Central > Advanced DSM Technical Discussion

Notices

DSMTalk.com is the premier Mitsubishi Eclipse Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10-18-2002, 12:06 AM   #16
hardwyre7

hardwyre7's Gallery
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thumbs down Been there done that

Hey whats up,
Yeah I have the 95 GSX with the AT and let me tell you that this ordeal which just finished was a pain in the butt. I built the engine myself but no one else including myself had any knowledge of rebuilding a tranny after it and the engine blew up the day after Christmas. In any event, a flexplate was found that did not need to be modified. Thats the good news. The bad news is that I don't know which vehicle the tranny shop got it from. I have requested that they send me a list of all the mods that they had to do in order to make it all work but they haven't gotten back to me on that. They also mentioned that they had to machine the bolts as well which had me a little perplexed since the flex plate they found should have been the same dimension as the previous one in order to handle the upgraded amount of torque. Whatever though. Just wanted to let you know that there is a flexplate out there that will work...try checking with a tranny shop and seeing if they can find one with the correct dimensions. In the meantime, I will try to find out which one I have in my car for you. Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2002, 12:27 AM   #17
InvaderGST
DSMtalker

95 Eclipse GSX
InvaderGST's Gallery
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
So you have a 6 bolt 1G motor in your 95 GSX? I have a 1G flexplate that fit's by not perfectly and it forces it to push the TC into the tranny pump which causes the tranny pump to go bad. So if you have a 6 bolt 1G motor matched with an automatic 2G tranny please find out for me what flexplate it is. If they put a 1G flexplate your tranny pump will go out. The first sign will be when you first turn on the car it will not get into gear until the tranny warms up. We live and learn. But if you have been driving your car since last Christmas with no problems then you are golden.
Old 10-18-2002, 07:48 AM   #18
ATF 2GTalon

ATF 2GTalon's Gallery
Yeah I'd like to know what is the correct flex plate to use to bolt a 1G 6 Bolt onto a 2G AT. So whatever you guys find out please post .

How hard could it be to have a machine shop make a flex plate with the correct dimensions? I've only heard of rumors of a particular company making them but as of yet still haven't seen anything.

Old 10-18-2002, 01:55 PM   #19
hardwyre7

hardwyre7's Gallery
Flexplate

Yeah actually that is what happened to me first with the 1g flexplate. This is actually due to a missing bushing that was left out when we put the engine back on. I do not think that the 2g engine/tranny uses this bushing. To complete the conversion, the tranny shop also had to machine a bushing to fit apparently. This is in addition to the bolts and whatever flexplate that they found that had the correct dimensions. I think that with that bushing, a person could probably get by with the machined 1g flexplate but do not take my word for it. Of course I am still waiting on the results of what flexplate I actually have in my car.
Old 10-21-2002, 02:26 PM   #20
hardwyre7

hardwyre7's Gallery
part numbers

I am the guy that has the 6bolt in a 95 with the right flexplate, etc... the model numbers you are looking for are here:
Bushing - MD011848
Plate - MD735674
On the work receipt it says that they had to turn the pilot bushing and had to modify the torque converter. Sorry I don't know what was modified but that is all the work order says. Good luck with it.
Old 03-27-2004, 05:04 PM   #21
WhiteLX

WhiteLX's Gallery
So is this the final word on swapping a 6 bolt into a AT 2G?

I'm trying to decide if I should try to make it work or just build up a 7 bolt for my wife's 98 TSI. If it's just a matter of opening up the 7 bolt flexplate holes to fit the 6 bolt crank, then I can see that being the easier route to take.
Old 04-04-2004, 08:42 PM   #22
whitetalonB16G

whitetalonB16G's Gallery
Im have the same problem, any confirm if those part numbers work and what machining needs to be done. Any help on this subject would be great

Thanks
Old 05-07-2004, 12:25 PM   #23
2001Z06
Super DSMtalker

1998 Eclipse GSX
2001Z06's Gallery
Re: part numbers

Quote:
Originally posted by hardwyre7
I am the guy that has the 6bolt in a 95 with the right flexplate, etc... the model numbers you are looking for are here:
Bushing - MD011848
Plate - MD735674
On the work receipt it says that they had to turn the pilot bushing and had to modify the torque converter. Sorry I don't know what was modified but that is all the work order says. Good luck with it.
I just ran those part numbers. It looks like all they did was buy another 6 bolt flex plate and bushing and machine them.

So taking a 6 bolt flex plate and machining it to correct specs is the awnser.
Old 05-07-2004, 10:41 PM   #24
InvaderGST
DSMtalker

95 Eclipse GSX
InvaderGST's Gallery
There is still an issue with the clearance from the tranny pump getting pushed in too hard by the torque converter. From the time I attempted it I noticed it needs like an 1/8 to a 1/4 of an inch which means some sort of spacer or something is needed. I don't really know. It's just easier to go back to a 7 bolt to avoid issues. We are automatics and the need for a 6 bolt is really unnecessary. And people who want to drop is a used 6 bolts are really not using their heads because we are talking about a motor that is around 14 years old. I only tried it because a friend sold me a 6 bolt race motor with forged pistons and such.
Old 05-08-2004, 06:39 AM   #25
V8BWARE

V8BWARE's Gallery
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114679

dont know how much this will help but thought I'd throw it out there.
Old 01-07-2006, 09:56 PM   #26
oopovertyoo
New DSMtalker

Ealge Talon/TSI/1993
oopovertyoo's Gallery
Re: 1G Race motor in a 2G Automatic, Flexplate issue

www.ipttrans.com
go there under drive train parts... you're see the flexplate there!!!!
Old 01-07-2006, 10:46 PM   #27
InvaderGST
DSMtalker

95 Eclipse GSX
InvaderGST's Gallery

Thanks for the tip dude! We know IPT has that stuff now. I originally made the post in 2002! And later someone asked in 2004. IPT released Kiggley's creation in 2005. I ended up just going back to a 7 bolt. Like I could wait 3 years for a flexplate.......
Old 05-31-2006, 12:25 PM   #28
w1kk3d
Hardcore DSMtalker

'98 Eclipse Spyder GS-T
w1kk3d's Gallery
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

lol @ this thread from the dead.... I remember when it was first posted
Old 06-03-2006, 10:24 PM   #29
Stephan
DSMtalker

Project 95 GST
Stephan's Gallery
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by oopovertyoo
www.ipttrans.com
go there under drive train parts... you're see the flexplate there!!!!
One good thing to remember when posting in a thread is to check the date.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement