RWD tranny summary/inquiry - Page 9 - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com > DSM Tech Central > Advanced DSM Technical Discussion

Notices

DSMTalk.com is the premier Mitsubishi Eclipse Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 06-27-2003, 05:09 PM   #121
lithium
Hardcore DSMtalker

91 GSX
lithium's Gallery
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I thought the quicker TIIs had T5 trannys in them using an adapter plate... if an adapter plate is available for a T5 to bolt to a 13B (turboII motor), and the TII tranny can be adapted to fit them to a 4g63, why couldn't you just get an adapter plate made to fit a T5 tranny to a 4g63. Basically the T5 is an upgrade for the Turbo IIs, and World Class T5s are putting boatloads of HP to the ground. I'm sure you could find a beat T5 out of a mustang for test fitting fairly cheap, as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2003, 05:55 PM   #122
Corn

91 DSM
Corn's Gallery
oh thats right the t5s are in the newer i think 3rd gen rx-7s? But who wants to use a ford tranny lol jke.
Old 07-14-2003, 08:23 PM   #123
0Jiggy0
Super DSMtalker

eclipse spyder GS 1999
0Jiggy0's Gallery
the 3rd gen rx7 used teh same tranny as mustangs?

Old 08-05-2003, 08:46 PM   #124
gsxalex

gvr4 X2
gsxalex's Gallery
have i asked you guys what you are using for rear ends? I'd like to keep it independant. im thinking about a mark III supra rear end as they are independant and lsd. Idealy i'd do a mark IV since they have a torsen lsd instead of the clutched one on the III

12.465 @ 109.67 14b
(93 GSX) -SOLD-

91 Isuzu Impulse RS w/14b
Faster than ^ till it blew
-SOLD-
Old 08-22-2003, 07:32 PM   #125
ThePauser 88TSi

ThePauser 88TSi's Gallery
GSXALEX: The Starion's rearend is also fully independent, and has a LSD.

Everyone else:

How true is this? The Mazda 2600 used the G54B bottom end. Except the head was reversed, with the exhaust on the drivers side.

What tranny came with the 2600?

I'm preparing to do a 2.4 DOHC hybrid for my Conquest. I'm just stuck on what kind of trannies will fit. I'm basically interested in an auto. So, the 4G64's measurement is 12.25"?

Also, I know that a 4G63 will fit my car with D-50 motor mounts. But does the 4G64 have the RWD mounting bracket?
Old 10-29-2003, 08:05 PM   #126
flubyux2

flubyux2's Gallery
while searching for a supra/4G63 swap... i came across this oldie...

i wanna say that the GTUs trannys is different than every other tranny cuz it has a revised 5th gear... its shorter than the other trannies. I have a GTUs and it does [email protected] and thats with the revised 5th gear and 4.30 LSD rear end.

Also the S5/89-91 trannies are smooth case so they dont have the reinforcing ribs like the heavier, S4/86-88 trannies do.

the turbo2 and NA trannies are different though because i know when someone wants to swap a turbo motor into an NA, they can either keep the NA tranny and just use the Turbo Flywheel... OR, if they wanna use the Turbo2 tranny, they need to use the Turbo2 Driveshaft. I dont recall if its cuz its a different length or if its cuz of spline/yoke differences.

anywho, does anyone make adaptor plates to bolt a Supra W58 or R154 tranny to a 4G63 block???
Old 11-12-2003, 06:02 PM   #127
DJpowerHaus
New DSMtalker

88 Starion
DJpowerHaus's Gallery
It has been made abundantly clear that the G63B transmission off of a 2.0L Mitusbishi Truck will bolt to the 4G63. My question however is about strength. People have mentioned about putting Starion tranny guts into the transmission.

I don't care much about 1/4mi times.. so how much HP can this tranny motor combo take?

Can the Starion internals even hold up to DSM revs?

I know the Starion had a stronger tranny in 88, 89 model years, but I was told that the G63B transmission will not be compatible to the guts of the 88, 89 transmission. Who knows what year SQ tranny to use as a donor?

Anybody know how I can get in touch with Eric P?

I will be making a VERY detailed site so that nobody has to be bothered with reinventing the wheel once I get this all done.
Old 11-12-2003, 10:50 PM   #128
grndsm
New DSMtalker

94 Talon AWD
grndsm's Gallery
>I know the Starion had a stronger tranny in 88, 89 model years, but I was told that the G63B
> transmission will not be compatible to the guts of the 88, 89 transmission. Who knows what
>year SQ tranny to use as a donor?

This is not true! As I stated earlier in this thread, Eric took my ‘89 truck tranny and combined it with ‘88 Starion internals. So it definitely can be done!

According to Eric, truck 5sp is “pretty weak”, he started braking a tranny every other pass, once he got into mid to low 11's. You might not care about 1/4 mile times, but that shows you that he was making approximately 400whp. Which is pretty easy to do with 4G63T. ‘88-‘89 Starion tranny should take 500+ hp with reasonable treatment.

Even if you decide to use a truck tranny you will still need to use Starion rear shifter extension section and you will need to ether come up with a custom hydraulic system or convert your Starion to a cable system.

Or, if motor work is more to your liking, you can always just take a NT “wide block”, build it up with turbo parts and bolt it up to a stock Starion tranny .

Leon
RR
Old 11-13-2003, 09:36 AM   #129
DJpowerHaus
New DSMtalker

88 Starion
DJpowerHaus's Gallery
It may be cheaper to buy a block than a tranny. What vehicle would I find a wide block 2.0? The Mitsubishi Truck apparently has a narrow block so that isnt an option. I'm holding off on the 4G64 WB because of needing new rods and pistons.

I actually sold my Starion tranny becuase someone was giving me a good price. So I'll be buying one either way. Since all the yards around here want $350+ for a G63B tranny and my motor needs a rebuild anyways, it'd probably be better to just do a wide block. At least then I'd have a strong tranny and a rebuilt motor.

Mod. Edit
DO NOT POST ANY FOR-SALE/WANTED/TRADE ADS. THINGS LIKE THIS GET PEOPLE BANNED. READ THE RULES.

Last edited by Taboo; 11-13-2003 at 01:50 PM.
Old 11-13-2003, 10:21 AM   #130
DSMturbo2
Ultra DSMtalker

altrevo
DSMturbo2's Gallery
not to cut in (also have not read the whole thread. but i have a 90 laser FWD turbo shell sitting at my house... The ass mobile... would it be easier to convert to RWD somehow? easier than say going fwd to awd which does not need to be stated as i am aware of that.. i was just going to take the shell off to the yard once i had everything stripped off it. but if i could make it a project RWD car that would be awesome and i would try it in a heart beat... any ideas??? thanks for the space..

1991 GVR4 1189/2k
1992 Eagle Talon TSI (needs home)
1992 Plymouth Laser RS AWD (SeaBass)
1992 Plymouth Laser RS AWD (the Black Car)
Old 11-13-2003, 01:57 PM   #131
Taboo

Taboo's Gallery
Feedback Score: -2 reviews
Quote:
Originally posted by DSMturbo2
not to cut in (also have not read the whole thread. but i have a 90 laser FWD turbo shell sitting at my house... The ass mobile... would it be easier to convert to RWD somehow?
No. The rear floor pan would have to be severely modified (+ the fuel tank eliminated) in order to mount any rear end and run a driveshaft.
Old 11-14-2003, 02:43 PM   #132
Friends_Got_Dsms

Friends_Got_Dsms's Gallery
Just quick question for anyone with a wide block 4G6x available for measuring. We know the bottom bolt pattern is ~1 inch bigger, but what about the top bolt pattern? It doesn’t happen to be smaller does it?
Old 12-10-2003, 02:16 PM   #133
DJpowerHaus
New DSMtalker

88 Starion
DJpowerHaus's Gallery
(Trust me, this short list might help the confusion.)
What I've got laying around:

+4G63T from a '90 GST w/ stock 225mm clutch and flywheel and narrow pattern. +'88 D50 tranny w/o clutch or flywheel w/ narrow bolt pattern.
+'88 Starion tranny w/ "stock" 240mm clutch and flywheel and wide block pattern.

I've got my '88 D50 tranny bolted to my 4G63 now. I will either rig up some sort of hyd. clutch or just use a cable clutch.

My BIG problem right now is that the spline on the D50 transmission IS NOT the same size as the spline on the '90 GST FWD transmission... therefore my GST's clutch WILL NOT work. My Starion clutch, however, does fit the D50 spline, but it is a 240mm clutch. I hear that the earlier Starion clutches were 225mm (same as DSM clutch)... So I could use one of them with the Starion/D50 transmission and DSM flywheel.

More on flywheels... the Starion has a 6 bolt flywheel that does bolt on to the 6 bolt 4g63... The 4G63 225mm flywheel cannot accept a 240mm clutch... The Starion flywheel is a heavy mofo and I dont ever want to use it again... The Starion flywheel's starter ring does not line up with the D50 tranny's starter possition.

Was the spline on the '89 D50 tranny smaller than on the '88 tranny? Was there any variation in the 4G63 transmission splines between years or turbo/natasp or FWD/AWD?

Right now I am thinking of buying a Starion 225mm 6puck clutch... What are my other (cheaper) options?... (Note... a clutch was in my pipeline anyways as the car will be running a 20x10x3" bar and plate intercooler with a turboback 3" straight exhaust and an Evo3 16G turbo.)

Last edited by DJpowerHaus; 12-10-2003 at 02:21 PM.
Old 01-12-2004, 08:48 PM   #134
DJpowerHaus
New DSMtalker

88 Starion
DJpowerHaus's Gallery
I figured out the clutch issues. The AWD spline is the same as the shaft on the Starion/D50 transmissions. Easy solution there.

Right now I have HUGE updates on my little project. Check out my site here: http://userpages.umbc.edu/~mbowma1/projectSillion/4G63/index.html

Click on the Transmission section and read up on how far I've gotten.

I'm really stumped though. The bearings between the transmissions are all different. I am using an 88 D50 and an 88 Starion transmission. They are both gutted to a bare case and 2 separate piles of transmission parts. I dont know exactly how to mix and match bearings and covers to get this all to work. Someone must have done this before who is willing to talk about it or somebody must know Eric P's phone number or someone who can help.

As you can see from my website, I'm trying to make the goto site for RWD 4G63s. If anyone on here hates being bothered by people wanting info on how to do the swap then CONTRIBUTE TO THE CAUSE. It will go onto my site and people will be able to go there and figure it all out without having to bother you again. One last time, PLEASE!
Old 01-29-2004, 11:31 PM   #135
asian312

asian312's Gallery
Hey, it's my Kevin from your guestbook!

For the tranny, I used the Mighty Max housing, the Quest extention housing, all of the quest mainshaft, the quest countershaft, the countershaft bearings from the Mighty Max tranny, and the Mighty Max front bearing retainer. If u gots any questions, jus shoot me an e-mail.

I'm also working on a site to help those who are interested in this swap. Mine is on the backburner however with all the current projects for school.

On the clutch, I'm not quite sure if the AWD spline is the same. The Quest input shaft is 23x1 while the AWD is 20x7/8. My fumbling around has lead me to believe that a DSM flywheel attached to a DSM pressure plate mated to a 225mm Quest disk would work. I've sent in a question to ACT regarding this and am waiting on their responce.

Hope that helps!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement