DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

Stock oil pressure gauge intermittently not working 1G GSX

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  AWDPetmitsu 
#1 ·
Lately the oil pressure gauge has been acting up on my 1G GSX. It reads ok but intermittently it will drop to zero and stay there and then it'll go back up again to normal as I keep driving. Sometimes it doesn't move at all when I first start it up but then it'll start working and then drop to zero and stay there until it decides to work again as I keep driving. I've replaced the oil pressure gauge sender and the oil pressure gauge itself too and checked the wiring and connectors. When I ground the circuit, the gauge reads maximum so the wiring should be ok. Also, the low oil pressure warning light doesn't come on when the gauge drops to zero so I think I should still have good oil pressure when it happens. I'm totally stumped at this point and wondering if anyone ran into this and have a solution?

And no, I don't want to run an aftermarket oil pressure gauge. I just want to get the stock one working properly again.

#2 ·
I've had a similar issue. One of several possible causes. The connector they use becomes loose (but looks ok), becomes oily and dirty, or there's an internal break in the wire. I just clipped mine off and used a female spade connector soldered on to a pigtail wire which I forced onto the oil pressure sending unit connection (the little mushroom thing). Never had a problem again. I also ziptied the wire to it's secure and can't vibrate around.

Report back after you've worked the issue if this resolves it.

#3 ·
I did exactly as you wrote and it has resolved the issue. I still had all original wiring on it. The problem was either the connection to the sender unit, which I thought for sure was ok because I had secured that loose connector with RTV so it wouldn't move, or the other end of the wire that connects to the body harness. I eliminated all the old connectors and soldered a wire to the body harness wiring and used a female spade connector on the other end that slips perfectly onto the sender unit terminal. It's been working fine ever since.

Thanks for replying Red because up until you replied, I was sure that the connections had to be ok and you made me doubt it so I decided to try eliminating them and putting new ones on. Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.