DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

intermittent idle problems - 6 bolt swapped gst

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  4G63_PSI 
#1 ·
Ok so quick run down of the car. All stock fresh 6 bolt swapped 97 gst. 2g head. Stock turbo, injectors basically everything. Removed all the emissons stuff. Mbc set at 13. Green top cas. Fiav removed. Basically all the bullshit stuff has been removed proir to the swap. Also dont have link yet but thats the next purchase.

So i have not set the timing with a timing light yet. It is going to happen though. And also i do have a slight boost leak that I'm still chasing. But .. those things shouldn't matter right now.

When i start my car it will idle fine. Take it out for a drive, stop and it will idle about 150 rpm lower then where i have it set (its set around 950). And it will kind of like pop every couple seconds. You cant hear it or feel it unless your hand is by the exhaust. Just like an extra puff of air comes out is the only way i can describe it. But it does idle lower and slightly rough. Turn it off start it again, sometimes its back to normal, sometimes its not. Car drives fine, pulls fine. Ive adjusted the timing, checked gap. Just wanting to get some ideas of what it could be. A little afraid to drive it far until ita fixed so ...

Let me know and i'll answer any questions to help figure it out. Thank you.

See less See more
#2 ·
If you have stock ecu the car wants a 750rpm idle and it will try to get there. If you want it to idle higher than that you need to reflash the ecu/get link/whatever or it is going to try and adjust ignition timing to get it there if the ISC alone is not enough.

#4 ·
Just want to let everyone know in case somebody else has this problem that it was the thermostat. I was running a 160, swapped to a 180 and it nows idles perfect where i set it. Its currently at 1000. I also have no isc or fiav or anything like that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.