DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

GVR4 Build-long time in the making

5K views 34 replies 12 participants last post by  Colin 
#1 ·
With the Shootout fast approaching I'm regaining excitement to finish my car. I'm hoping posting up a build thread here, along with your support I can keep motivation!
First off , I don't know what number this car is. If you care enough to ask, I'll think differently of you. Is there really a difference if I say 1506 or 23? WHY DO PEOPLE ALWAYS ASK?!

Anyway, some of the beginning stuff will be more or less a photo dump, untill we get more current.

A good friend of mine bought this car in 2004, in pieces. (70k miles) Missing cylinder head, turbo, injectors, etc. We sourced the pieces needed and rebuilt it. He daily drove it (through winters :() up until summer 2006 when I bought it.
That day:

I never LOVED the car, but it still had a place in my heart. I didn't want to see it go to some jabronie, so I took it off his hands.
The very next day, the clutch fork breaks.:tat:

So of course it came apart. Did some cleaning, and removing of some things. Act2600, Act flywheel, 20g, 660's, fmic, 5lug swap, and a bunch of other things I forget I'm sure.

I drove it that way for a while, until one day in traffic it got hot on me and melted down. Not really a melt down, but I did pop the head gasket.
So the head came off. Mild port, BC272's, ARP studs. Cleaned up the bay, relocated the battery, etc.

Drove it, enjoyed it. Good.

Then something else happened, it's a bit grey but I wanted something a little different. I got a bigger intercooler, a carbon fiber hood and some other things and it really took a turn..

Little wire tuck. Note the temporary bracket. I know it sucks.
Had to do a little trimming to fit the intercooler :)

Got a case of "while I was at it" I wanted to do a better, cleaner wire tuck.

Of course while the dash was out..

Be a pretty good time to run some brake lines back there..

Ah dang it(shit starts spiraling out of control at this point..) FP3065..

*TEST FIT*

Even these can't be stock.. Welded the valve stem cut outs up and relocated them behind the spokes.

The valve stems hit the calipers here.. do'h, I'm an actual idiot. I moved the stems deeper inside the barrel since this pic. Yes I'll have to air the tires from under the car, or with the wheels off.

Ya' it's over kill- 3.5"

Note the custom lower radiator mount:cool:
Dat oil filter clearance though-

Moving the radiator under the upper radiator support allows for clearance to run puller fans while keeping a full size 1g radiator! Good for me given my previous cooling issues. (this radiator is for mock up)

ABS block off plate

Not sure if because racecar or because stupid, but i thought deleting the wipers would be a good idea..

Fuel pressure gauge, because the FPR is now hidden below the intake.

The engine came out so I could stitch weld the seams, and weld all the unused holes up.

Note upper radiator support:

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.