DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

Cigarette Lighter Question

12K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  techboy 
#1 ·
My cigarette lighter only works like 40% of the time. I’m not talking about heating the thing up to light a cigarette. I’m talking about putting a phone charger or a radar detector into it. Whenever I try to put in one of those it won’t work. I have to wiggle it around for like 10 min until it finally works. Then after some driving time, the radar detector or whatever will turn off again. Any idea what could be wrong with my cigarette lighter or how to fix it? Thanks in advance.

#3 ·
This sometimes happens to me too

if you look in the hole you will see the round copper connector for the lighter, on the sides are two prongs that hold the cig lighter down. on mine these prongs were bent out, so take something non conductive ( a twig or something) and bend the prongs in a little, and if the whole socket moves, then loosen the console so you can access the back, and tighten the nut holding the socket in place.

this should take care of your problems

#4 ·
I just checked it out. The socket is not loose, and the prongs are not bent back. It has also gone from working every once and a while, to working for a tenth of a second then turning off. Could it be a fuse or something?
I'll go to see Satan today and see what the charge for a new one.
Thanks guys.

#5 ·
Mine doesn't work either, if it makes you feel any better. My fuse was blown, but I replaced it and it's still dead. Good thing I never use it.

#6 ·
NO! Don't go to satan.

Try a few things first... Pull off the drivers side trim panel that goes from by the gas petal to the back of the console, that'll expose the cigarette lighter wiring. Do a visual inspection to see if there are any frayed/coroded/split wiring.

If you find your problem there, your set. If not, put a multimeter to the power and ground wires (I can't recall off the top of my head which colors those are). If you don't have a multimeter, pick one up from walmart or somewhere or borrow one, they're very useful. Turn the car to the "on" position and test the current between the wires. If your reading voltage (I'd assume ~12v?) then you know the plug itself is shot.

If the plug is shot, pull it out and clean it very well, make sure all the connections are shiny. Take a dremel with a wire wheel or some sandpaper or steel wool, or something abrasive and clean any corosion off. Reinstall and try again.

Also, before you do all this, try several different cigarette "assesories" to make sure it isnt' something with your plugs. I know the el cheapo 2 way splitter I got always disconnects itself.

#7 ·
Thanks for all the advice guys. I took the whole thing apart and cleaned it all out extremly well. Now it works perfectly.

#9 ·
My cig lighter doesnt work either and never has. The original owner told me that the damn thing didnt even work when the car was brand new. I dont smoke in my car any way so it wasnt a factor.

I pulled the dash section out and ran a check, sure enough no power was even comming to the lighter. Due to lack of intrest I decided to not follow the wires back to the junction box. I was planning on adding a remote high/low boost button to that spot in the future when I finish my home made 2 stage boost controler.

#11 ·
I have never done it on the 1g. I don't know if it is the same or not. On the 2g there is a screw to remove near the left foot of a passenger of the passenger side on the console. 2 Screws to remove on the back of the cupholder part. 2 Screw under the frame for the CD player. And another screw under the cupholder. I think that is all of them.

#12 ·
I meant the actual lighter itself. I have no problem getting to it. Actually, on the 1G, you can just remove the shifter boot and get to it. I just can't see how the damn thing comes out? Is there a nut at the bottom of it or something that I just do not see?

#13 ·
On the 2G, there are 2 wires connected to the lighter. 1 is a bulb and 1 is the electricity. Remove those, then there is a ring type thing that keeps it tight. That is on the underneth part. You unscrew that, and the assembly will become loose, then you just gotta push it out. If I'm remembering correctly.

#15 ·
CrisMurfy said:
On the 2G, there are 2 wires connected to the lighter. 1 is a bulb and 1 is the electricity. Remove those, then there is a ring type thing that keeps it tight. That is on the underneth part. You unscrew that, and the assembly will become loose, then you just gotta push it out. If I'm remembering correctly.
There are actually three wires to the lighter - power, ground, and light.

#16 ·
venom42 said:
I meant the actual lighter itself. I have no problem getting to it. Actually, on the 1G, you can just remove the shifter boot and get to it. I just can't see how the damn thing comes out? Is there a nut at the bottom of it or something that I just do not see?
In the process of inspecting the wiring (and the urge to move the outlet for a more practical local, I pulled it apart. you have to pull the surround up and look at it from the bottom. from there you should be able to see the clip/screws that hold it in place. I'm debating on weither to put a gauge there (ick no) or a button for a future IC water spray (elbow activated? :p )

#17 ·
Just wanted to say thanks, I could not get my phone charger to work and all I did was take apart the cigarette lighter and then use a dremel and a small bit and clean up the round circle at the bottom of the housing that was all rusted. Super easy fix and it works perfectly and never cuts out anymore.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.