Error Code P1715 Pulse Generator Assy - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com > DSM Tech Central > Help! Tech

Notices

DSMTalk.com is the premier Mitsubishi Eclipse Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04-02-2019, 10:40 PM   #1
97GreenSpyder
Super DSMtalker

'97 Eclipse GS-T Spyder
97GreenSpyder's Gallery
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Error Code P1715 Pulse Generator Assy

Has anyone gotten a P1715 error code and lost the use of several gears in an automatic (F4A33) transmission?

Was driving my '97 Eclipse GS-T Spyder back from Louisville this afternoon when the car "bucked" and I heard a "bang" (doing about 20mph, pulling out of a parking lot). The check engine light lit up and my trip computer indicated a code P1715 (Pulse Generator Assy). Transmission appears to be stuck in either 2nd or 3rd gear (O/D switch position makes no difference). Made it home staying at the speed limit (70mph @4500 rpm), letting the cruise control keep it steady up I-71. Other than being stuck in one gear, the engine and transmission gave me no problems over the 90 mile return.

According to what I can find by researching, the PGA measures the relative speed of the input and transfer shafts inside the transmission using two sensors feeding a single connector. This allows the transmission to control shifting.

Question: has anyone had this happen, and will a sensor replacement ($39.70 from Amazon) fix it? Unfortunately, with all the other hardware, wires, and tubes in the engine bay, I can't even see the sensors, which are mounted on the end of the F4A33 transmission housing, to try and use a multimeter in an attempt to check the resistance of the individual sensors (recommended diagnostic procedure).

So it would be helpful to know if a P1715 always means a FUBAR'd sensor. BTW, the same PGA is used from 1991-1999.

Also, the car acted a bit strange the last time I made the same 180 mile round trip. Upon starting back, the transmission seemed to be stuck in one gear for a mile or two, then returned to shifting normally, although the cruise control was iffy for about 30 miles. But after it quit acting up, I had no problems for the past month, but was only driving on short trips. Thinking that I was maybe low on transmission fluid, I checked right after that trip, but the level of fluid was fine. It was only after I had today driven 90 miles, parked, then later returned to the car (same modus operandi), that I got a P1715 and a balky transmission.

One other thought- the last few times that I drove the car, it seemed to be low on power from a stop. Wondered about that, but now I think that maybe I had already lost 1st gear, while 2nd thru 4th were still working.
143K not-so-daily driver, now that I'm retired. Last fall had the convertible top replaced (second time since I bought the car in '07). Also had most of the body repainted (peeling clearcoat) by a first-class bodyshop. Took five weeks, for a total cost for both jobs of $4K. Car looks almost new now. BTW, damn tired of seeing the obnoxious Eclipse Cross commercials. It's heresy using the Eclipse name on a damn SUV.
97GreenSpyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2019, 01:39 AM   #2
Red1991TSI
Site Administrator

1991 Eagle Talon Tsi
Red1991TSI's Gallery
Feedback Score: 78 reviews
Re: Error Code P1715 Pulse Generator Assy

I'd hit Tim Zimmerman up on Facebook with the question. Not sure how often he visits here any longer.

Read the rules people!
Red1991TSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 04:31 PM   #3
97GreenSpyder
Super DSMtalker

'97 Eclipse GS-T Spyder
97GreenSpyder's Gallery

Thanks, Red, but I don't use any form of social media. Don't trust the likes of Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc. with my personal information. Time and time again, with their multiple "leaks", they've shown that they are not to be trusted. The platforms are little more than a method for them to monetize the public's personal data. Too bad it's hard to function without two of the other gross offenders, Google and Amazon.

A little update on the problem: after getting the car home and parking it overnight, I backed-down my driveway to see if it was still drive-able, and found that the problem had gone away. Did check with a transmission repair shop, which said that I probably should have the pan dropped to see if there is any debris. Have ordered & received the replacement part for the Pulse Generator Assy, & when I get a chance (& enough spare funds) will take it in to be looked at.

Not driving it much, delaying getting it serviced- had to send $4.5K to the IRS. ObamaCare is a damn lie, just like everything else associated with Obozo, that Chicago jackass and thief. His government scam Ok'd financial assistance for my wife's 2018 insurance coverage, then turned-around and demanded over $8K back this April because I "received too much money in 2018" between social security payments and withdrawals from my 401K (to pay her non-covered medical bills/procedures).

The biggest lie ever told: "I'm from the government, and here to help you!"
143K not-so-daily driver, now that I'm retired. Last fall had the convertible top replaced (second time since I bought the car in '07). Also had most of the body repainted (peeling clearcoat) by a first-class bodyshop. Took five weeks, for a total cost for both jobs of $4K. Car looks almost new now. BTW, damn tired of seeing the obnoxious Eclipse Cross commercials. It's heresy using the Eclipse name on a damn SUV.

Old 06-17-2019, 11:04 PM   #4
97GreenSpyder
Super DSMtalker

'97 Eclipse GS-T Spyder
97GreenSpyder's Gallery

Took the car to a local shop that does transmission repairs, but 2 weeks later, they still hadn't found a source for the part, claiming that everyone they checked with said "out-of-stock". Took the car home, and called the closest Mitsubishi dealer (35 miles away on the opposite side of Cincinnati). The lady running the Jake Sweeney parts department ran a search using my VIN and located ONE in the NJ Mitsubishi parts depot (gee, why couldn't the transmission shop do what I easily did?).

Picked-up the part- $114 with Ohio sales tax. I now have the actual Mitsubishi part number (doesn't show in the 2G parts cutsheets) and can search the Web by the actual part number, I see several cheaper sources online that claim to have it in stock. If anyone else w/ a 2G gets a code P1715, MD757025 is the part number for the Pulse Generator (A/T), two sensors and a wiring harness.

Hey, if anyone needs this part for their '95-'99 A/T GST or GSX, White Racing Products, LLC in Tampa, FL (on the Canadian ebay site) has TWO left, each for $65.83, a bargain, considering what I paid a dealer for the same part. I can supply the URL for you.

Last edited by 97GreenSpyder; 06-17-2019 at 11:09 PM. Reason: Added Canadian ebay to vendor source
Old 06-20-2019, 08:39 PM   #5
BISHILVR
Elite DSMtalker

MITSUBISHI GST 1999
BISHILVR's Gallery

I doubt that will fix it, you likely have a hard part failure inside the transmission, in other words the part that the sensor is reading is stripped of its splines, in my experience with these transmissions its the inside splines on the drum that shear, usually from either rocking it while stuck, not waiting for it to quit moving in one direction before shifting into another direction or the automatic "braking effect" when going down a steep hill where it drops down a gear after multiple applications of the brakes.
Old 06-21-2019, 07:03 PM   #6
97GreenSpyder
Super DSMtalker

'97 Eclipse GS-T Spyder
97GreenSpyder's Gallery

Thanks, BISHILVR. The only incident that I'm aware might have occurred is "transmission braking". Haven't had the transmission inspected yet after getting the part, as the transmission has been acting normally, other than surging during downshifting upon hard acceleration. Prior to taking it to the shop that couldn't find the part, it frequently went into "Limp Mode" and would throw a code P1715. Next time it reoccurs, it'll go into a shop. Note that the first shop did recommend dropping the pan and checking for metal debris, but as far as I know, they failed to do that during the time that they had the car. And yes, I'll be using a different shop.
Old 06-23-2019, 12:42 AM   #7
BISHILVR
Elite DSMtalker

MITSUBISHI GST 1999
BISHILVR's Gallery

You can pull the pan yourself, its only a few bolts
Old 10-08-2019, 07:03 PM   #8
97GreenSpyder
Super DSMtalker

'97 Eclipse GS-T Spyder
97GreenSpyder's Gallery

Had the Pulse Generator dual sensor assembly pulled and replaced the other day at a local repair shop. Finally had a chance to take a 180 mile round trip and the transmission behaved nornally, did not stick in 2nd gear on the trip back after the car sat for 2+ hours (which twice previously incurred the problem). So my diagnosis, based on the P1715 error code, was correct. Apparently there have been a lot of these sensor assemblies replaced, as the sole remaining Cincinnati-area Mitsubishi dealer, the one that ordered it for me from the NJ warehouse, said it was the last one left in inventory.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement