DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

headers info?

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  kronus 
#1 ·
Hi, i recently bought a GSX so I just learning about the car, I know a few things about modifications, but I'd like to know a little bit more.
So, 1) what are headers meant to do
2) how would I go about installing newer and better ones, would I have to do anything to the engine itself, or do I just install them and there it is? *I do know that I might have to change some stuff this the exhaust system? ( the GSX came with an aftermarket exhaust though...) any help would be great.

#2 ·
Your car doesn't have a header; it has an exhaust manifold. A header is used on non-turbo applications. People have made upwards of 400whp on the stock 2g manifold, so I would suggest saving your money for other upgrades like intake, fuel, tuning, etc. What's going to kill you is your turbo (assuming it's the stock turbo) because it just doesn't flow enough to make any real power.

#6 ·
There is a good FAQ I believe in the newbie section... But the most important question is what are you trying to achive? What is your goal right now for the car?

#7 ·
Do you mind sending me the link for that? I'm new here :)

Well, a good reliable car with good, basic modifications, nothing TOO! crazy, but something that I know has a kick too it, and that I'll do ok on the scene.

The car came with a cold air intake, I was thinking of a new intercooler system (it's stock)
But, can I just install a IC system with a blow off valve just like that? Or again, would I have to
Change anything in the engine itself so it can handle the extra HP? Because it's just cold air, no? Any help would be much appreciated, thank :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.