DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

Lazylaser’s DSM Journey 97 Talon

99K views 287 replies 59 participants last post by  lazylaser 
#1 · (Edited)
Lazylaser’s DSM journey
I don’t have enough posts for the member’s projects section. Although I do way more searching than posting.
I started with a 91 fwd Plymouth Laser that I bought at a police auction for about $680. It was more of a go-cart than a car. In the beginning I had some trouble getting it to make the power that I was looking for. After finding the cams were 180* out, all the upgrades that were piled on the car really Woke up. These big power gains now created traction issues that even, polyurethane mounts , suspension, an LSD and good rubber couldn’t solve.

The TRE (team rip) transmission was a pile of shit from the time I got it, it ended up being the weakest link and the LSD exploded on the highway.

Luckily I was prepared; I had already Bought an AWD 97 talon tsi that was being prepped for a heart transplant.

Whoever owned the car before me slapped a boost controller and an evo 16g on the car and Knocked the rod bearings into the bottom of the oil pan.
After about a month of wrenching on the car, my friends and I transformed it into the car I wanted,

The mr2 is my younger brothers’ and just as much work went into his toyota

98,000 talon tsi,
6-bolt swap, balance shafts removed, ARP rodbolts, headstuds, and turbo bolts, b/c 272’s cams and springs and titanium retainers
dsmlink, gm 3” maf and translator
slowboy fmic and piping, 63mm throttle body, greddy rs bov
pte 780cc injectors, aeromotive afpr, walbro Hp 255 and 6an from tank to rail.
Ebay 3” turboback stainless steel exhaust
Aem uego w/b, autometer C2 boost, egt, fuel pressure and oil pressure
Act2600 and fidenza aluminum flywheel.
Evo16g that I spent days porting, 38mm w/g with opendump, sbr cast manifold and 2g ported o2
Magnacore wires and ngk plugs
And other things like s.s. clutch and brake lines and a 2600cfm fan, a lot of things have been relocated (like the battery) or removed (like the A/C) , I’m sure I’m forgetting other stuff.
Future plans are, coilovers, big brakes and meth injection.
BIG THANKS GOES OUT TO Asmodeus of demonmotorworks, who turned many wrenches on this project , and Chaz Mance who did a lot of the wiring.
See everyone at the shootout

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: Lazylaser’s DSM journey 97 talon

Thanks buddy. Glad I could help.

It sure is a pretty car compared to the old Laser. Get the WB in and we'll get it tuned. Then it should really wake up for you.

#3 ·

NICE 2Gb Talon man! Wish I had one.. or the money to convert.

#5 ·

Asmodeus said:
Thanks buddy. Glad I could help.

It sure is a pretty car compared to the old Laser. Get the WB in and we'll get it tuned. Then it should really wake up for you.
Shoot, I'm glad you could help!
The W/B isn't getting put in until next week, Jeff at firsttry is busy this week. I wish it could happen sooner because I long to hear my open dump!

For the other posters, thank you. I appreciate the feedback. This car is everything I've wanted; I truly have a hard time believing that I actually own it.

#7 · (Edited by Moderator)

Well I finally made it to the track, and I won every race...

I was my second time ever at the track
and the 1st time in this car.

Best et. of the night was 13.1,
the best mph was 106,
best 60' was 1.95 and the reaction times were .2 something.

1st run against a corvette (I shifted from 2nd to 4th and still won)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sy3Sertrl-M

Me taking down some beater 5.0.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsMQiE0XlVY

Then some truck that wanted to "school me"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNaKcQK1C0E

Last race was against a hemi charger srt8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzOuEzew9mQ

I have a lot of driving and getting used to the car before I can make it get the times I want.

#8 ·

Work on your foot work.

You bogged it every time. If you want to side step it out of the hole you need to set the revs up higher. Or it will fall flat on its face with a brand new clutch that is still ultra grippy.

(not what I would recommend)

Do a run where you "slip it til you smell it". And the car leaps out of the hole. Then slip it 1/2 to 3/4 as much. I know you are running a street disc so give it AMPLE cool down time in between runs if you slip the shit out of it.

Or you will warp it and have disengagement issues.
Not to mention your aluminum FW will not take that kind of beating for long.

All in all it was your first time in a new car. Still shaking some bugs out and you did well. I'm not beating you up. I just think there is atleast a half a second on that exact setup with more boost and a change to the timing. On pump fuel.

2 or three of those 1/10ths are in your 60ft tho.
;)

With your MPH dropping with each subsequent faster ET run the power is just not there. She needs another 4-5psi. The 19-20psi taper to 15-16psi at 6500 just isn't moving all that fat 2g booty.

Bring it up and I'll straighten it out.

:cool:

#11 ·

Got Insulin? said:
Details on how you mounted the laptop, please. Car is BAMF for sure, man.
sure thing,
I heard good things about the $40 ebay laptop stand, for $40 I figured I would give it a try. The quality was 10x better than I expected and it went in without issue. I'm Really glad I didn't try to make my own stand, it wasent worth the time. My usual passenger, Asmodeus can get in and out of the car easily so... here's the details

http://www.jeniko.com/

the model was the

CFL-800 Floor Mount

Cheap simple and it works.

#14 ·

Moved to build section.

#15 · (Edited)

You have a 13second car in the build section...

I think you have a "fat" second or more left in there. The guy that won the stock appearing class at the Shootout has less mods than that.... And he's running a 14b..(11.90@114)

:dunno:

I should put my gayser in here. It has a MAF-t, and a 13g on it......

It runs 12.90's..... On 450 injectors.:eek: .... People are silly.

Just a quick question about the cams being 180* out... The head was still ok wasnt it..... All the valves still good.... Cause they should have been.

#16 ·

It's been a full two months now that this 2g has been on the road.

lg93awdgsxer said:
you have a "fat" second or more left in there.
Thanks, I know. I'm well aware of what times others are getting.

lg93awdgsxer said:
Just a quick question about the cams being 180* out... The head was still ok wasnt it..... All the valves still good.... Cause they should have been.
The valves were fine. The egt's did drop about 400 degrees after the timing was corrected.

#18 ·

lg93awdgsxer said:
You have a 13second car in the build section...
All of that was completely unnecessary. This thread was moved to the build section, it was not posted in here.

Read more closely.

#24 ·

Somehow this shit is supposed to make its way onto my car.
New Koni yellows adjustable struts. and energy suspention master bushing kit.

And
Free front and rear tower braces, polly sway bar bushings, eibach pro kit lowering springs, ingalls front and rear camber kits, new OEM rear hub, and slightly used koni rear "yellows" adjustable struts.

#25 · (Edited)

Here is the last picture of her with the factory suspention, standing tall.

Can you say wheel gap.
Front

Rear

The wheel bearing is damn near impossible to remove.
But that is captured in this thread.

http://www.dsmtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=211912&highlight=rear+axle

This is how she sits, currently under the knife, while I take the bus and ride my bike.

#26 ·

For those that asked about the laptop mount, sorry I'll have to get better photos it is just one of those things that I forget to take pictures of.

Also new a new powder coated valve cover from (ippkiss) stanley distribution. He also did my brothers mr2's v/c. It's on the car now and I'll take photos after to the other parts are on the car and I can clean up the bay.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.