DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if that 0w-30 mobil 1 is safe to use in a 4g63 dsm? Everyone around here thinks its way too thin...
I'm using synthetic 10w-30 mobil 1 right now. I'm looking for the oil that will free up the most power, but still give good protection for hard driving...

·
Banned
1,224 Posts
actuly, I think it would be fine, I ran 5w30 last winter,and have been thinking about 0w30, beacuse my lifter tick is now insanley bad on cold mornings. dose anyone else have some info on this,I know my owners manual says to run 5w30 in the winter but would 0w30 be ok?

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I run 0-30 whenever my lifters start to tick. works wonders for the smaller stock 1g lifters. I leave it in for the same duration as I would with my regular oil 10w30

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've heard the 0w-30 makes your oil pressure lower, cause the pump cant pump it as well as a thicker oil... any truth to this?

·
Elite DSMtalker
1,495 Posts
destrux said:
I've heard the 0w-30 makes your oil pressure lower, cause the pump cant pump it as well as a thicker oil... any truth to this?
Yes there is. I ran 0w30 once, in the winter months. I didnt care for it that much. I wanted to try it because well, with cold weather, I wanted the easiest flowing cold weight oil I could find. It wasnt too bad, but the oil pressure was always right at the low mark. At idle, it would drop well below the low pressure mark. All in all, I didnt care for it.

·
Banned
1,328 Posts
As long as your car holds enough oil pressure with it, its not dangerous to use. Unfortuantley bearings in the engine and oil pumps wear over time, and reduce the amount of oil pressure the engine can make. IN the winter, the thin stuff should stay thicker since the ambient temp is so low. RIght now i'm running mobil 1 15w/50 and it makes a lot of oil pressure, but that was good when it was 100 degrees outside and i'd idle for extended periods of time. I'm going to 0w/30 on my next change, we'll see how well this 93K mile engine will do with it.

Remember, conventional 10w/30 may hold simillar oil pressure to synthetic 0w/30. Synthetics have more viscosity modifiers than conventional oils, which allows them to be thinner durning cold situations (0w) and act like a thicker oil when warm (30w). 0w/30 synthetic may even outperform conventional 10w/30 during extremley high heat situations (meaning it might stay thicker). I don't know what temperature the SAE measures the oil at to get the "warm" measurement, but i'm pretty sure it isn't as hot as the oil gets when it comes out of our turbo's ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts