DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
101 - 120 of 146 Posts

·
Banned
1,454 Posts
there is no problem with using the auto ecu, the ecu has nothing to do with injector sizing, there is a resistor pack inline with the injectors to add resistance to the signal to the ecu, You just need the resistor pack for the 450's opposed to the 390's. I have done the swao multiple times, and never had any problem running 450's with an auto ecu.

·
Registered
631 Posts
the tranny will not blow...and in order to get the axles out..you pull the wheels slide out the cotter pins on the axle nuts then pop the axle nuts off then take the 2 bolts off of the shock tower...then yank the shit out after you pull it out of the rotor

·
Registered
303 Posts
instead of yanking the axel out it might be better to take a prybar or a nice flat head screwdriver and poppin the axel out from the tranny that way instead of screwing up the axel, cause my axel on my 2.0 was a bitch to get out but i was replaceing it so i didn't really care what happend to it. and as for the 1.8 tranny blowin it won't happen, the 2.0nt and 1.8 trannys are the same tranny, nothings stronger or week between them.

·
Registered
395 Posts
DAMN CW!!!! Welcome back brother!!! Good advice, I also recommend the long flat tip to get the axles out. Now what I want to know is how is that 1.8L project going and how is your 420A holding up. PM me when you get a chance.
Sandcobra164

·
Registered
169 Posts
Whiteonyx86 said:
the tranny will not blow...and in order to get the axles out..you pull the wheels slide out the cotter pins on the axle nuts then pop the axle nuts off then take the 2 bolts off of the shock tower...then yank the shit out after you pull it out of the rotor
That's a crazy way to pull out an axle. It would work, though. But, a lot of unecessary labor is required (also, you run the risk, as mentioned, of tearing the boot).

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
not to reactivate an old topic, but like I have been saying on other threads...I got most of what I need from a canadian jdm importer and got the full harness, AWD tranny ecu, and lots of other shitt. My question is for someone to re-clarify the issue of the front and rear mounts lining up, and specifics as to if new holes just have to be drilled for the existing mounts or if i will need the AWD mounts. I realize the crossmembers are severely different in arrangement, but does the 1.8 crossmember running the length or the car thats dead center of the engine bay interfere w awd tranny clearance?? What firewall mounted issues will be different such as wiring parts,brakelines, fuse boxes, mount bolts (lengthS different?), shifter linkage needs to be changed I think, just touch on the details....or is this as simply barbaric as to just rip one set of crap out and reinstall the new engine/tranny/wire harness,ecu,gauges and stuff??? As for the AWD tranny...I'm buying thVCE kit to eliminate the rearoutput shaft. Any tips here? I'm mostly worried about the mounts.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I'm about to do this swap with a pair of `92 automatic cars; the 1.8 AT car has a really nice body and power everything but the engine is dying and the trans is dumping out of the oil pump seal. The donor was my '92 2.0L AT car that was killed off by a truck; thank God for those Prothane mounts for keeping the engine/trans in the car! :cool: I ended up stripping it out totally & will be transferring that engine and transmission. I want to put the 2.0L cluster in as well since its got the 9k redline and has the correct mileage for the engine. Any chance that this will be a problem given that I'll be using the engine harness/ECU and TCU out of the 2.0L car with this cluster?

·
Registered
111 Posts
I am changing out a 1.8 n/t manual to a 2.0 n/t that had an auto trans. I want to keep the manual trans.The only thing is the 1.8 is a 5 bolt hole and the 2.0 is a 6 bolt hole. I just picked up a flywheel that has the 6 bolt holes but it doesn't seat right. Are there different sized flywheels? It seems like it is just off a few mm. The bolt holes line up but it just doesn't go all the way down. Do I need a different flywheel, still?

·
Registered
631 Posts
carkid15 said:
would you need the 2.0 cluster harness or would the tach signal still come through ook with the 1.8 dash harness or are they the same If of same year
you will need the gauge cluster harness or you will have to run the wire yourself, either should be easy to do

·
Registered
39 Posts
Ok i know this thread is old but ive been reading the entire thread and making a list of parts i will need to complete this swap. I have a 91 eclipse 4g63 n/t and i want to put that engine into my 94 eclipse 4g37. So far ive written down that i will need

1.the wiring harness from the 2.0engine to the ecu.
2.The 2.0 ecu it self.
3.The 2.0 guage cluster only
4. 02 sensor and MAF sensor from 2.0 engine

Ive read that the 1.8 exhaust will bolt right up to the n/t 2.0 exhaust?
Also am i missing anything else on the list to do the swap?
Thanks Guys.

101 - 120 of 146 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.