DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had no problems with my 1.8 besides the belt squeak but i finally fixed that. My new problem is for some reason it would not start the other night i checked everything battery terminals clutch sensory everything it was just wasnt doing anything, the starter wasnt evan making noise so i tried shorting out the starter and that didnt work there is plenty of juice from the battery so i figured it must be the starter so the next day i tried starting it agian and it started right up and i havnt had any starting problems again. Anyone know what it could be?

·
Registered
386 Posts
Definitely the starter

Starters, and most DC motors in general, will fail that way. What happens is, the brushes in the motor wear down until they aren't long enough to make good contact with the armeture. At that point, the current starts arcing to make connection, which generates a lot of heat and leaves a nasty black crust all over the contacts on the armeture. I've seen a few people rebuild them, but it's better to just buy a remanufactured one.

- Kalani

·
Registered
604 Posts
my start problem

This has happened to me twice now, I have no clue what it is. When I tried to start my car this morning, it tried to turn over, and just stopped, and seemed to die in mid start. Then I tried turning it over again, and it started right up. Anyone know what might be wrong?:(

·
Registered
386 Posts
Starter

I'm gonna say it again... Starter.... starterstarterstarter... Provided that your battery isn't dead, which I'm sure you've already checked out, right?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts