DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have both sets. This vehicle is daily driven. Puttin my new longblock in and not sure what direction I should go. redline will be about 9.5k rpm. List of mods on new longblock.
.50over
stock mitsu crank
Eagle rods
Ross pistons
Arp head and main studs
Mitsu timing acc.
Greddy kevlar timing belt
Mach V crank scrapper

Head
Unported mitsu head
Brian Crower 280/280 cams
Ferrea Dual Springs
Ferrea Bronze mangeneese guides
Ferrea valve seals
1mm over swirl polished stainless valves
Mitsu MLS O-ring head gasket

SC61 p trim
forrester intake
1000cc inj
cosmo 304lph fp

Id like to run the comps for the good mid range and better streetability but, I know they run out of power arout 7.5k rpm, or do they? trying to dispell of any rumors. Had run the 280's on my last engine and the turbo and cams hit about the same time but it was a dog down low. Will the comps still flow enough up top or should i stick with the 280's?

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
101200s are a bazillion times better for DD. They are actually the best upgraded cams you can use on a DD car.

The 101200 cam range are about 8200 and if you have a SMIM you'll still be making power after that.

I never cared much for the BC280s but if you are indeed reving to at least 9K or higher every time you race they'll be the better cams for that but the 101200s will still be superior daily drivers (ask me how I know) :p

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have both sets of cams and two sets of valve springs(Ferrea "high press) duals and Manley duals both w/ti retainers). Comps just came with the new long block I picked up so I just wasnt sure what to keep. Im running a ported Forrester intake as well.

·
Registered
938 Posts
+1 for the comp's

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
AMS tested that the Brian Crower cams needed the most degreeing out of all the other cams they tested. Though this test was for a Evo, further speculation would lead me to believe that goes for Dsm as well. Im not biased towards comp because I have the bc272s but im just saying... Look into it.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
98_GstEclipse said:
I have 280's for my build. Its gonna be my DD. How are these cams for daily driving?
Nate, you will loose a lot of low end torque with those cams, and I highly recommend investing the time and money in getting cam gears and properly degreeing them or they will underachieve what they are suppose to.
I take it you are running a smim and/or a large turbo that shines above 7k to want cams this big?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had absolutly no torque below 4500, after that however...

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
98_GstEclipse said:
Yup Im going with a 35r. I have HKS cam gears on them now and the BC Titianium Springs and retainers
Sounds good! Im going to need a ride when its all finished.
You might want to pick yourself a set of slicks and axles while your at it ;)

·
Registered
490 Posts
I'm running a 35r with Comp 200's. I also have a ported polished head with 1mm over valves sitting on top a 2.3. I'm at 30psi right now with meth. I also have a cyclone intake, Lancerman controlled, I'm not sure if this can help. DD has alot of low end tourqe but still pulls to 8000rpm. I'm also spooled at 4000rpm.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I am running some BC288's in my dd, and they are fine. Its a dd, so I don't need gobs of power down low, I never have a chance to go wot so I don't need tons of torque down low. My buddy has custom cams that delta cams made and they are 292's. He also drives his car daily and it is fine for him. I would say go for the BC280's. The only thing that you have to lose by using them is power. You have a 35r, so I am sure that you like haulin balls and having hella topend, or you would be using a stock IM instead of the SMIM.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Black_ bullet said:
Sounds good! Im going to need a ride when its all finished.
You might want to pick yourself a set of slicks and axles while your at it ;)

I was thinking of doin an AWD swap but not too sure. Def picking up some axles from the driveshaft shop!

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
44pirate said:
I'm running a 35r with Comp 200's. I also have a ported polished head with 1mm over valves sitting on top a 2.3. I'm at 30psi right now with meth. I also have a cyclone intake, Lancerman controlled, I'm not sure if this can help. DD has alot of low end tourqe but still pulls to 8000rpm. I'm also spooled at 4000rpm.

Your 2.3 makes that setup more streetable. Sounds like you have a beast of a car, are you on TR?

Also where is SW FL?
There is a DSM meet on the 27th at Al lopez park right by the Bucs stadium.
There seems to be quite a few ppl going, the guy above me is going also.
There will be food and drinks etc. If your not too far from that location then you should come thru with your car.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Black_ bullet said:
Your 2.3 makes that setup more streetable. Sounds like you have a beast of a car, are you on TR?

Also where is SW FL?
There is a DSM meet on the 27th at Al lopez park right by the Bucs stadium.
There seems to be quite a few ppl going, the guy above me is going also.
There will be food and drinks etc. If your not too far from that location then you should come thru with your car.
I live in Cape Coral.
I'm on TR with same handle.
I'm working that day.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts