DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,
I just had to replace my battery, and after the replacement *guessing ECU reset on 0 volts*, the car was boosting a healthy 12+ PSI. Then, after a day, 7 PSI (which was the cars usual).

Should I be always getting 12+ PSI?

Boost leak test is negative.

Car is stock except for the Evo3 mani.

I know that the reason that it is dropping is because the ECU is likely re-learning the fuel maps etc., but is there some way to maintain that boost level? :D

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
First off, 1g car doesn't have a boost controll solanoid, only a 2g. Second, a 1g stock boost pressure is around 8 to 10 psi, so yes, it can limit boost that much. Stock boost for a 2g is 10-14psi, so you may have not realized that.

Get a Manual Boost Controller, tap it in the line that goes to your WGA, and start making SMALL turns on the controller til you hit 12psi....of course this is all advice assuming your motor can handle mods, I don't want to hear anyone bitching about accidently cranking boost up to 10000000psi and nuking their motor.....

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
LOL. No, I was just curious about the BCS, because I didn't know that my car had one!

Thanks though, I think I will get the MBC.

The motor can take it... I have boosted at 16 before (COLD night, coming off a dead battery :p ).

Im about to go to a 16g anyhow. But MBC will be required then anyhow, so I might as well get it now.

I wanted an excuse to buy a new toy anyhow :p

·
Registered
553 Posts
All DSM have boost control solenoids. They are a bleeder setup. Look at your stock mas, follow that nipple off the backing. For a better understanding, follow the wastegate line, and you should see it (similar solenoid as the FPR 1G ones). If there really is none, then the previous owner removed it. The boost solenoid can go off from knock and maf readings controlled by the ecu... if you notice the recent drop, it could just be the ecu compensating. You sure there is no boost and exhaust leaks? How is the spool?

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The spool is fast as hell. I have a hard time staying off of it (its also addictive :rolleyes:)

No, the car has always boosted 7-8, but when the battery has died, its been above 12 every time on recharge.

I havent looked for the BCS, but you say it runs from the WGA to the MAS?

Also, what do I do with it to "cap" it? How will that raise the boost? The link to removing the restrictor is dead on vFAQ.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Don't worry about the restrictor, its not going to do anything to raise boost pressure. If you want higher boost pressure, get rid of the BCS, if you have one, and tap a Manual Boost Controller into the line that goes to your WasteGate Actuator. That is what will give you the higher boost.

What your doing is "confusing" the turbo's wastegate actuator. Your making it "think" its making less boost, so it pushes more by holding the wastegate "flapper" closed longer. Capping a BCS isn't going to do that, no matter how you look at it.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, I know how a WGA and MBC work.... What is the BCS for then?

Obviously the answer to my original question is to buy an MBC, but what is the BCS for exactly? Whats its function?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
HAHA how could a wastegate restrict boost more than what its made for? 8 psi is not 7 psi.

Even if your running directly from the compressor housing to the wastegate it normally will still give you 9-10 lbs even on the 1g's. Imo and experience it is a boost leak.

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
93_GSX said:
If I understand correctly, it gives the ECU a reading of boost, or something along those lines.
I believe thats the mas's job.

Bcs turns down boost by NOT bleeding the wastegate pressure when the engine is knocking.

If this is an issue with the BCS(which it could be, I just personally believe its not) then the computer is limiting boost and pulling timing because of knock. It would be best to find the source of knock before worrying about how to increase the boost.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I dont think Im getting knock, but its possible. I would bet that it would be easier to simply turn up the boost, in which case the BCS would keep it limited, than to invest in a data logger, when I plan on going Link in the future.... correct?

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
treckin said:
I dont think Im getting knock, but its possible. I would bet that it would be easier to simply turn up the boost, in which case the BCS would keep it limited, than to invest in a data logger, when I plan on going Link in the future.... correct?
Not all knock is detectable by human ears or even noticeable in operation. You dont know if your getting knock unless you can see the reading from the sensor. The easiest way to do that is to get a logger. It could also be phantom knock. Search for that term if you havent heard of it before because there is alot of info on the topic.:)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.