DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently ran my car at the track last week and pulled a very upseting 14.4 @ 101.9 mph. I have run my car from a roll against a few of my buddies mustangs that run high 13's all day and beat them with no problem. I did have an awsome 2.6 60' time. I think thats what may have killed me huh... I have raced the car twice once stock (boost controller @15psi) and ran a 15.0 @96.4mph with another nice 2.6 60' time. I did manage a 2.3 60' time that night but hit fuel cut in second gear and the car shut down. I get so pissed off when i see other guy's running high 13's at my mhp. I wanted an AWD to begin with but all i could find were FWD so i bought one not thinking it would be this hard to launch. I think i may be buying an AWD for next summer. Not to mention i live in New England and get snow like crazy up here. And if your wondering i do drive my FWD in the winter and i must say its not too bad.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I'm an even worse driver... I ran a [email protected] 2.7 60'. :D I just can't get a decent launch in my car, my best 60' is a 2.5 second. I have 70,000 mile old suspension, and subs in my trunk when I run, I'm sure that's not helping. I too hang with 13 second cars from a roll, but from a stop, I'm worthless.

·
Registered
374 Posts
.1 in the 60' = .2 in the 1/4, or at least that's what my mechanic tells me. He pulled off a 13.8 @ 89.3 MPH w/ 1.7 60'. My best is a 14.5 @ 95 w/ 1.9 60', both cars are AWD. -Ian

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
When racing from a roll, the car with the higher trap speed will win. That's why you beat your friend's cars.

FWD = high e.t., high trap speed.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I very rarely catch a light with anybody so most of my racing is usually a second or third gear drop. I have driven a few awd cars before and they just don't seem to pull like the my fwd does. I am still looking to buy one just so i can go to the track and get some refreshing E.T.'s haha. I hate telling poeple what i ran cause i know my car is so much faster than that. I usually tell them what i run then i smoke there car that has ran a lot faster than me so i kinda feel a little better after that... :takethat:

·
Registered
223 Posts
you dont need to look for an awd..... you just need to learn how to drive........

back when i had my GST, i would pull consistant 2.0 60' with stock clutch and regular old tires. ocassionally a 1.9

try putting some of that VHT track bite on your tires if you cant afford slicks.......

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can afford slicks but i like to run my car down the track the same way i would race someone from a stop light on the street. I hate when i go to the track and see guys that gut out there interior just to run 16's it makes no sense to me. I leave everything the way it is when i drive it everyday including my 150 lbs sub-box. I think i am going try some nicer tires before i jump into an AWD. I am using Toyo Proxies FZ4's and they are really shitty. I am in need of a new tranny again and have low compression (110psi) in my #2 cylinder so i was just going to buy a new car and start fresh. Its still up in the air. I would like to buy a motor and build it over the winter then buy a TRE tranny but whats the use if i can even get off the line now?

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have a FWD turbo Laser w/ K&N, free mods and a 2.5" flex pipe back exhaust, and I was running [email protected] in the quater mile. My 60' times were usually 2.4.-2.7 but the altitude in Calgary is 3500ft above see level. Does the altitude differnce really make a difference in your E.T.'s and MPH?

My car is actually having its head rebuilt right now (timing belt :mad: ) and while its being rebuilt I'm also installing my brand new 16g (not big). Can I expect a significant change in my quarter mile times and speed?

·
Registered
41 Posts
when i ran my car i let some pressure out of my front tires to about 18psi. i have a 97 tsi fwd and all i have done to it is exhaust that isn't actually 3in, a cone filter, boost set @ 15psi,a blitz bov, act 2100 and two 12" subs in the back and i ran a consistant 14.716 @ 95mph with a reaction of .738 and a 60' time of 2.243. i even had a run of 14.832 @ 96mph my car gripped and i just got a higher mph i don't know why. so i know i can get faster if i can get 96 mph. i launch my car around 3000 or a little more and i just drop it and go. usually around the 3rd or 4th time of racing your tires get sticky cause of all the other cars tire shredings on the track so that helps too. just play around a bit.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts