DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sup guys,

i recently had a 14b installed in my 95 gsx, and initially everything was okay, just my home made jpipe kept popping off @ around 10psi or so. anyways a couple days after the install i look under my and notice a good amount of oil was leaking outtve my car. i grab a flashlight and have a look. from what i can see, the oil return line is leaking. what do you think i should do? put more sealent on it, new gasket maybe, or both. keep in mind that we had to drill the holes in order to put the oil feed line back onto the oil pan. btw this turbo kicks the t25's ass lol
-Andrew

·
Registered
125 Posts
You'll need to replace the gasket. RTV and such don't cut it.

·
Honorary Moderator
3,499 Posts
RTV sealant does work on the return line. Keep in mind you're seeing all of 5 psi of pressure tops through it at WOT. I used it for thousands of miles on my Talon. I've been using it for over 1K miles on my GST waiting for my 16g to be rebuilt, and no leaks. The problem is that you probably don't have it spread evenly. If theres a spot on the rim with no coverage, it'll leak, and if you apply it to the line when there's oil on the surface, it won't bond to the metal, and won't seal at all. Been there before.
Another thing to think about, is the oil could easily be leaking form the supply line, and just running down the return. Take the heat shields off, run the car in the light, and check to see. If it's the supply line, things could get nasty. You could starve the 14B of oil in seconds. That's why I'm having my 16g rebuilt. Inadaquate oil supply, because the supply line leaked heavily. Make sure you check it repeatedly. Just becasue it isn't leaking the first time you check it, doesn't mean it's sealed 100%.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
-colonelfox thanx

i simply got some newpaper and put some hi temp rtv and presto no more leak. so far everything looks fine, however i beginning to hear the turbo sort of *squeek? (like if the compressor wheel was touching the housing just a lil bit. you think this could be due to the supply line leak?, although i checked, but didnt find any leaks (from the bottom anyways). i will check it tomorrow during daylight. btw, i checked the wheel prior to the installment and it seemed fine and now its making that noise??

·
Registered
662 Posts
I too have the same problem, I have a very minor leak on the oil return line, on the turbo side and possibly a leak on the feed line.

I checked it when I first ran it and it was fine, but then I notice that overnight I drip literally a drop or two of oil, I haven't had a chance to clean up my turbo center section yet to see exactly how fast it leaks because it had oil on it when I installed it because when I filled the return passage with oil, I filled it too fast and spilled oil all over.

How much oil would need to be leaked to be starving the turbo of oil? My turbo makes a very different noise than my friend 14b, but then again mine is a 2G with an injen and his is a 1G with a dejon tool... mine is a quiet whistle while his is more fo a sucking sound. My old T25 on the other hand sounded literally like a blow drier!

I bought a stainless feed line from RRE and the AN fitting. (I think that's what it's called? it's on the line it self, where it connects to the banjo fitting, it's a threaded piece that tapers at the end) I don't have enough room to move a wrench on it to tighten it up because the walls of the line wrench are too thick, is there any way to tighten it up? I really want to avoid taking everything apart... I figured it was a small leak I'd just leave it until spring time.

I also checked the line when I first started the car when it was cold and I have high oil pressure (as in cold, I mean like 25 degrees) and I couldn't see anything.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts