DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow That took me a long time!!! I cleaned everything unbelieveable well. Im sure i spent about 2 hours just cleaning parts, screws etc. I also did the water pump. That was kind of hard to clean all the old gasket off. Between school and work i havent had much time to work on it but im glad its finally out of the way!!

The talon runs soooo much smoother. Exhaust cam was 1 tooth at least off before. Idle misfire is fixed and more power too me!! Also When taking everything apart i noticed that my downpipe to o2 housing gasket was torn in half and half was lost!! Also there was only 1 nut holding the downpipe up and that one was loose! now my engine is also a bit quiter! Sounds nice though:) . I have a bit of whirring sound coming from the belt area but i dont think its the tension of the t belt. I checked it like 10 times!! I think its just the new acc. belts breaking in. maybe the water pump...?

Anyways I couldn't feel better!! Hardest job it my live! Not really hard just time consuming. But it feels great to do a job well done when you do it yourself.

I also wanted to take the post to thank all the DSMers out there that helped me with my million and one questions. I know, I know, half of them were kind of dumb but how else can a pep learn!? Thank you very much DSMers! And good luck with all you guys out there doing the t belt right now! Take your time. its worth it:cool:

·
Elite DSMtalker
1,894 Posts
Congratz, I can relate.
Even though the noise could be the belts settling in, keep an eye on it. This weekend I had to pull the timing belt cover off to figure out why a bit of whirring sound coming from the belt area had turned into some nasty noises. The timing belt turned out to be fine and exactly where I left it tension wise but a couble of the cover bolts had come undone around the water pump and were rubbing on the pulley. With the cover being loose the AC tensioner pulley was rubbing on it. If I wasn't watching it might have developed into a serious problem.

Steve

·
Registered
12 Posts
Good job! I just did the same to my 93 Tsi - my intake AND exhaust cams were both off by a tooth :rolleyes: Idles smooth as glass now and runs very strong. I can't believe how easy it is to misalign the cam sprockets on these things! The first few times I lined up the timing marks, I swore it was accurate, but after getting a ruler out and taking a closer look, the exhaust cam was off; that would have really sucked - to get everything back together only to have to redo it. It just goes to show that taking your time with this job is a MUST! Yes, cleaning parts is half of the work; I used something like three cans of Gumout carb cleaner. Again, nice job ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts