DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this wise? Everyone is talking about boost creep after installing a dp, so is it not a good idea to put a 16G on a stock dp??? Just curious..... I know the stock dp is a major restriction but if it helps with boost creep rather than porting the O2 housing, external wastegate, etc... seems like it would be a $$$ saver NOT to get a dp.

Please slam me if I'm wrong in any aspect...but not to hard. :)

------------------
'99 GST
http://www.geocities.com/mospeed9844
Akimoto Air Fitler
GReddy BOV
GReddy Intercooler Piping
GReddy Cat-Back
GReddy Profec B
GReddy Boost and EGT Gauge
Autometer Air/Fuel Meter
Front and Rear Strut Bars

·
Honorary Moderator
653 Posts
I hope not, this weekend I am putting in a 16G and a ported/polished 95 exhaust manifold. My friend is trading in his car, and needs to get these things off quick, so I have no choice but to put it on my stock exhaust. Hope it goes well. Price is right.

------------------
John Lewis

1991 Eclipse GS Turbo

·
Registered
295 Posts
I am also in the same boat as you guys, I have a 1g A/T with a 16g and the 95 (7cm) exhaust Mani. I also want to get rid of the dp without getting boost creep. I have been getting information all around and this is what many people said works. Buy a 2.5 in dp with a 2.5 in hi flow cat (why not get rid of that restriction while your at it). This is will keep the exhaust hot enough to flow quickly and keeps enough pressure to minimize if not completely eliminate boost creep (without the ported 02 housing and wastegate). Also the 2.5 in dp/cat is just as good as the 3 in until about 350+ horsepower. (or so I have been told).

Murray

P.S. If you do the dp/cat swap before I do please let us know what you chose to do as well as how it worked out. Thanks

·
Registered
729 Posts
if you are only doing it to avoid boost creep, then id say to just get an enlarged wastegate flapper like the one TRE does.

If you are doing it because you are poor like me and can't afford the down pipe yet, you will be fine but don't get too crazy with the boost until you do get a downpipe.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
why can't you get crazy with the boost?

Backpressure and higher EGT's?

Why spend money on a dp and cat for a decent hp increase or just spend ~3times more and get some serious power (stupid T25).

------------------
'99 GST
Akimoto Air Fitler
GReddy BOV
GReddy Cat-Back
GReddy Profec B
Autometer Air/Fuel Meter

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
You can only put as much air in to the engine as you can get out of it. Kinda like putting the cart before the horse...*IMO* you would be disappointed with a 16g on the stock dp and cat. It may creep on you worse because you can't get the exhaust out fast enough.
I don't have any creep with 2.5" dp, 2.5" cat, 3" cat-back, and the Profec B. That's with the 14b...still.
However, I wouldn't pass up a deal like Fast FWD is getting.

------------------
Rocky Mountain
'91 Talon Tsi AWD - modified
Live, Learn, Love and Bleed DSM...

·
Registered
729 Posts
mospeed,
if the exhaust gasses cant escape fast enough obviously the backpressure becomes an issue. The nasty part about that is like you said... the egt will get too hot. your cylinder temps will get to dangerous levels much easier without the better downpipe.

I am in no way saying that you have to get the dp to have a sucessful setup, just that it will be safer, and more powerful with the upgraded dp.

You will definetly be ably to run the same boost levels as you have have been with T-25. At those same boost levels the power will be far greater with the new turbo. Since you have an egt gauge you can try to turn it up and moniter the egt to be sure you are safe.

I have run over 20 psi on my 14b with the stock down pipe and have survived.

Also I see from you sig that you dont have a fuelpump yet. definetly get one with the bigger turbo. It is a must!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh of course I will get a fuel pump! :) But I was just debating on some future mods and $$$ issues. Just that is it worth spending $$$ on a T25 or save enough money for a 16G, used fmic, run 15psi (upgraded fuel pump) and get some serious power from a 16G.

But I may just go ahead and get a dp and cat. :)

Thanks for everyones response.

------------------
'99 GST
Akimoto Air Fitler
GReddy BOV
GReddy Cat-Back
GReddy Profec B
Autometer Air/Fuel Meter

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hey guys I have read all your posts about boost creep and wanted to get a larger down pipe.
If you plan on running 10 -14 psi without getting any boost creep then you will have to port the wastegate flapper door to be able to get that extra exhaust gas out of the exhaust housing before it hits the blades. I have seen so many people get soo nervous about boost creep, and honestly you should not be all that worried. Just don't try to run 10psi put that baby up to about 17 and you should be fine. Also any place that you get your turbo from can do a nice port job on the exhuast housing where the wastegate is and that will eliminte most of the boost creep. The key is to port the O2 housing to a true 2.5 inches. This way when the wastgate opens the exhuast gas can get out fast. I ported my friends 16g and o2 housing and the only boost creep he gets is 2 psi. This is with the boost controller set at 9 psi. So he goes from 9 psi to 11 psi. You don't need an external wastegate or a larger flapper door. Just a well ported turbo and O2 housing. I charge $100 to port the o2 housing, and $75 to port the turbo. With that you can get a 2.5 or 3 inch downpipe with only 2 psi of boost creep. You can also get a wastegate dump tube which will by pass the gas from going to the downpipe. it will dump the wastegate to atmosphere. It's like having an external wastegate for $45 and it's sounds awesome.

Richard. www.thedsmshop.com
954-977-6789

1 - 9 of 9 Posts