DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what are the comparisons? What about clipping, b/c i was told that it should be b/c the exducer is big?

·
Registered
273 Posts
I personally don't think anyone should ever clip a turbo. When you are altering a computer balanced fin, you are messing with something human eyes can't do. My personal opinion, you want more top end power, buy a slightly bigger turbo.

:angel:

·
Banned
2,699 Posts
for a 16g i wouldnt run it witout upgrade fuel pump, 550cc injectors, FMIC, and s-afc, small 16g u can get away with no FMIC but a supra SMIC

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
what can i get away with on a stock setup? i have done the free mods(air box, filter, no cat) what ever info you can give me is great!!

·
Elite DSMtalker
866 Posts
I would use a Big 16G, you will definatly need a fuel system upgrade and bigger exaust. The intercooler isnt a large issue until over 18psi of boost. I ran low 12's with a stock i/c and piping w/Big 16. The only real mods it had was a SX FPR, 255lph pump, 2.5 O2 eliminator full exaust w/no cat, ACT 2900, alum fly. and a hacked MAS. The turbo was ported but not clipped and mated to a ported 95 manifold

·
Banned
2,699 Posts
i wouldnt run a big16g on stock intercooler at 18psi, big16g pushes way more CFM than a stock turbo even both set at 18psi, u were probly heatsoaking like a s.o.b

and how the hell did u hit low 12's on a A/T tsi with only that? u should be running 11's with say 2gmas, fmic, safc and some injectors? low 12's on stock injectors w/big16g?

·
Elite DSMtalker
866 Posts
I ran 12's with a 5spd car I had owned that I recently sold. I agree that it will preform better with a larger i/c and more mods, but that is what it did at that stage. My a/t ran mid 11's with a Big 16G, but at the time it had a FMIC, TEC II, a full SX fuel system and many other mods. I was simply stating that an i/c upgrade isnt required to run a Big 16G, but it definately would help.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
jap drifter said:
this link will help you decide but honestly you have a WHILE to go before you need a new turbo if have to ask the questions you have posted. just being honest with you. http://www.dsmtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=57986&highlight=big+16g+sucks

The reason i asked the question is b/c the turbo i have now is going out. it is leaking oil and the wastegate arm is broken off of the flapper. so if i were to get a new turbo wouldn't i want to get an upgrade? i have read that the 16g is the turbo that should have been put in the car in the first place. i have a little tech knowledge from reading the forums and any info on turbos that i come across. but i do do not have the know-how that the rest of you have, that is why i am asking people. the only way to learn is to do it or ask someone who knows how to do it.!

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
yeah in that case get a 16g but learn what you are doing first before you go jacking up he boost. did you happen to read that thread i posted. i think the choice is probably obvious.

·
Banned
215 Posts
Port the 16g and get the 34mm flapper....trust me. You'll thank me later. Boost creep is a motha F-er

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
so get the 16 g and have it ported w/ 34 mm flapper...this is the best choice for the $$. this will cut the boost creep? obviuosly need to get a manual boost controller?

another question is that when a turbo starts to go out it starts to leak in the inlet tubes and when you sit for a little then give it gas it blows out some smoke?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
if boost creep is a problem, then a larger flapper will take care of it? as well as a boost controller?

is the best boost controller the apex'i?
recommendations.

·
Banned
2,699 Posts
hallman is a good manual, my fav and only electronic BC id get is a greddy profec b =p

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i think i read in import tuner that the apex'i has the most stable boost control, does anyone know if this is true or seen one in action?

·
Registered
273 Posts
You're awd, don't get an electronic. But, the apex'i avc-r is the one I think that you are talking about. Looks like the S-AFC. Its about as easy to setup as a space shuttle launch, but works great once its setup. I think they are like 350-400$
:eeek:

I say screw that. 50$ for a manual boost controller, that may spike 1-2 psi. The more expensive mbc's, like hpbc might not spike that much. There are a lot of reviews on them.

·
Registered
495 Posts
i got a regular 16g. i got it when my stocker (14b) died and money was an issue. if i were to do it again, i'd get the big 16g.
it's really isn't that much more than the reg. 16g. i don't know about clipping. i'd for sure get it ported including the wastegate.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts