DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,818 Posts
I'm running a 17x8.5" rim with a 40mm offset and they're fine. I think and inch wider would probably have rubbing issues considering an inch is 25.4mm's. That's about 12.7mm from center line of the rim. I'd be extremely careful if going that route. You may need spacers to run that offset if you're mind is made up on those rims.

·
Registered
478 Posts
No, they will not fit. 17x9 +40 rear, you have to grind the rear control arm. for the fronts, 17x9 +40 needed coilovers to clear, the factory strut perch will hit. With some spacers, of course they'll be able to bolt on, but they will stick out a good amount. you're looking at like +25-27ish effective offset, which will stick out like an inch and a half. look at mavisky's setup to see what i mean

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have the option of getting them with some 20mm spacers making the offset 18mm, what do you think? I already have coilovers & don't mind grinding the arm. Will also run a little negative camber if necessary. Not worried about the rubber since i will be going hippari style.

^^ how far do your rpf1's stick out?

·
Registered
215 Posts
unlmtdndeavor ; Your set up is sick on your car!!!! I just clicked your Signature and your wheel and tire combo is perfect! I would like to have something like that myself.

I would also like to know if your wheels stick out or not. Plus did you align the car any different than the stock settings ? I would assume so. I NEED INFO!!! haha

·
Registered
478 Posts
4G63 POWER said:
I have the option of getting them with some 20mm spacers making the offset 18mm, what do you think? I already have coilovers & don't mind grinding the arm. Will also run a little negative camber if necessary. Not worried about the rubber since i will be going hippari style.

^^ how far do your rpf1's stick out?
My fronts stick out about 3/4" of an inch. This is with very little negative camber, about -1.4* and the rears are -.75*. If I was trying to have a more aggressive road race setup, I would be -2*F and -1.3* at least, if not more. At say -2* camber, the rears are super flush. The fronts will need to be rolled and flared even to get my setup flush.

If by hippari style you mean having the tires stretched and the offset so that the lip of the wheel is flush with the fender, then the 20mm spacers are too much. The 17x9 are a better option for you. You would need to stretch the fenders too much and would need a significant amount of camber for a low offset 9.5" setup

Do the 17x9 +35 rear setup, run 235's on it. For the fronts, 17x9 +40, same tires, run about -3* camber to achieve the fitment.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The thing is that i'm not buying these new, so i'm stuck with what the specs are on the wheels, it's a really good price so i'm tempted to buy them.

By hippari i mean stretching like a 235 or 225 / 35 on them. That way they don't rub. I don't care of the actual rim is flush or not. Just don't want to have to install fender flares, but don't mind rolling the fenders.

Hippari:

Of course i don't want to go that extreme w/ my tires but you get the idea.

·
Registered
478 Posts
The problem is to run stretched tires and have it look good, they need the right fitment. If a wheel stuck out over an inch and had stretched tires, it would look retarded. You need to have the tires tucked, so the rim is flush with the fenders to have it look good. The numbers I gave you earlier would achieve the look on the vw. And trust me, I do know the look. I run 195's on my 15x8 on my other car.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Can you post a pic of your sidewall?

slowWdsm said:
I'm running 225 on my 9" and love it, it's barely stretched. The 225 actually fits up to a 9". Another half an inch isn't that bad at all.
Here are my 16" x 8" w/ 0mm offset w/ 195/ 45's on my 88' cressida:

I know the look as well, also used to run a similar setup on my ae86.

·
Registered
485 Posts
That's pretty sweet I'm a sucker for stretched tires I swear I should have bought a 240. Here is a few shots of mine though. Don't mind the girl in the pic its my g/f's sis. It's the only high quality pic I have though since my friend took it w/ his slr. For people reading this it's an 18x9 30mm offset. Rim is 10" from lip though.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Once again, why run a wheel to wide for a car? If you can only fit so much rubber under a car, why try to get away with a wheel bigger? I can't say I ever thought stretched wheels were cool.

Wider wheel + narrower tire kind of defeats the purpose of a wide wheel.

·
Registered
485 Posts
turbofonz said:
Once again, why run a wheel to wide for a car? If you can only fit so much rubber under a car, why try to get away with a wheel bigger? I can't say I ever thought stretched wheels were cool.

Wider wheel + narrower tire kind of defeats the purpose of a wide wheel.

It's something you have to like to do... Those that buy the rims and then have to use a small tire to make it fit I feel bad for. I did mine on purpose even though I could have fit a wider tire. No one likes the same things pretty simple concept.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.