DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever fit a 19 inch wheel on a 1g? I'm looking to get rid of my 17's and go with a 19x8 wheel. Would an 8 inch wide wheel give me enough clearance against the struts in the front?

·
Banned
2,699 Posts
oh god 19's on a 1g? going bling blingin with big tymers? u MAY be able to fit em, dunno if ud like it i think itd look bad =\

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Ever see those boxy civics with 18" rims on them. It looks sooo wrong, so outa place. It *may* fit, but I think you would run into fitiment issues. I know a local DSM'er that that has 18x8 on his 1g and there barely is any room for those.

·
Registered
3,099 Posts
If your set on 19's try to find a 19x7 1/2. Its only a half inch but will help with fitment. The diameter is not the problem. Width is.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
harry99GSX said:
If your set on 19's try to find a 19x7 1/2. Its only a half inch but will help with fitment. The diameter is not the problem. Width is.
That's what I was curious about seeing how the struts are right next to the inside of the tire. If I can find a 19x7.5, I look into that.
But no one has put a set of 19s on a 1g before?

·
Elite DSMtalker
3,738 Posts
bling bling, for the price of that wheel and tire combo you could do a full 2.0 turob swap easily. and honestly 18's are the absolute good looking limit on 1g's. and your 17's look pretty good as it is.

·
Registered
53 Posts
not to mention the extremely loud and discomforting scraping sound whenever your wheels would run out of travel with the fender as is the problem with my friends AE-86.

·
Elite DSMtalker
3,738 Posts
your friend bastardized a hachi with 19's :( , if you have a gun within your posession i believe you know what you must do.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
mavisky said:
bling bling, for the price of that wheel and tire combo you could do a full 2.0 turob swap easily. and honestly 18's are the absolute good looking limit on 1g's. and your 17's look pretty good as it is.
exactly

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
So,why would you want 19' wheels? The wagon wheel look is getting out of hand.

Seriously though,why do you want bigger,I don't see much tire around your rims now. 19' is in no way gonna help in the performance dept. period. I guess it fits your name.

*BLING BLING*:rudolph:

·
Registered
53 Posts
no bling bling hachi

NO NO NO NO, I didnt mean that my friend killed a hachi roku by putting on 19's, god no, i would shoot him myself if he did that to the legendary drift king vehicle of choice. On the contrary he has a nice set of 16 inch JDM racing wheels with streched tires on an entire jet black corolla GTS (god i want his car, not to mention he is putting a screamin 20 valve) but his autocross suspension, combined with the not so stock wheels make for the generous offset to gently rap on the fender when hitting extra large bumps. And he cries every time it happens, and i know the feeling and i know for a fact 19's on a DSM would have the same effect. Im glad somebody else respects the legendary hachi roku (AE-86). Thats pretty sweet to see. Sorry it was so off topic.

·
Elite DSMtalker
3,738 Posts
oh thank holy god. glad to hear. nothing looks meaner than a well done gymkhana or track based hachi. boxy design, big flares, deep dish rims, i love it.

·
Elite DSMtalker
2,617 Posts
Jon nothing looks worse than giant wheels over stock brakes. Take the cash you would spend and buy that 1g turbo you've been wanting. That way you have a project car and a daily driver.

·
Registered
129 Posts
If you wanna go big, then more power to you...cause 19s will be freakin BIG!! But, in my opinion i think that your current setup looks very tasteful. I'd probably spend the money somewhere else, or even upgrade to 18s. I've seen 18s on a 1g that look good, but I think you'd have some serious space issues with 19s. Let me know if you end up doing it though, cause i definately wanna see pictures.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, I'd buy a turbo 1g if there was no such thing as auto insurance. Mine's already high right now from various tickets, arrests. I can't imagine what a turbo 1g would cost me. I wanted to go with 19" wheels just because I haven't seen a 1g with 19's yet. As you can tell, my 1.8L doesn't really have an aftermarket support in the performance department. Since I'm pretty much stuck with my current performance setup, why not work more on the outside? Most likely I'll be going with 18s just because the cost factor of 19s.

·
Registered
91 Posts
umm...

to me a 1g can look perfect on 16"s with the perfect drop, but 17"s usually look right with a mild, streetable drop. 19"s?

a) the car would look jacked
b) you'de have major issues with rubbing and basically operating your car
c) the weight would be a hoax, you might as well load up the car with sandbags.
:eek:

·
Banned
2,699 Posts
i know a kid with a 1.8, swapped in a gs turbo motor outta 91, still classified under insurance as a 1.8L, its all good untill u get caught tho =)

·
Elite DSMtalker
1,923 Posts
I don't think he has the option of a turbo swap, since it is his only car. ;)

BTW, I wouldn't touch the set up, it looks good, and it won't cost you a ass load to keep. :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts