DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Plymouth laser rs turbo
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m running into an issue with my car. I did a pressure test on the coolant system with the valve cover off (I took it off cause I was going to clean it sand it and basically repaint) so first I noticed my oil was milky when I checked my dip stick. I took off the oil cap and it’s milky there too. That’s when I decided to pull the valve cover out and see if I could see anything. When I pressure tested the coolant to about 8 to 10 pounds coolant shot out of the head like out of the holes you see beside the cams and it looked to be spraying out of my lifters. Coolant now! I’m hearing it’s a blown head gasket but idk. I did a compression test and I guess you can say that the compression was good. It’s weird because before I started messing with the car the oil wasn’t milky and before I made some changes I even did a oil change and changed the oil filter. With the car staying in one spot and being worked on here and there? How could have I blown the head gasket. I’ve never even got to drive the car yet. I’ve been to busy pulling the trans out installing act flywheel and act 2600 clutch, installing FMIC etc. I got ECMLink latest version but now I’m stuck in I don’t know what to do next. Please help

·
Registered
1 Posts
Einstein69,

I have never had this condition on my DSM, (91 Talon), but I have some experience with coolant leaks in other engines. It is possible that you have a break in the head gasket, intake manifold, (or another seal between the coolant to oil interface at the turbo if so equipped), that does not lead directly into the cylinder(s) but to an oil flow point, (return to the oil pan). You may also have the beginning of a leak, (weak gasket point that started leaking), I cannot be for sure why as you have not detailed everything you have been doing but if you used force to remove the valve cover, (tapping with a hammer or prying) it could have been enough to cause a break. (keep in mind I am just giving you one possibility). Anyway, in this case, you could still get an acceptable compression reading. When you pressurized the coolant system the pressure was just pushing additional coolant around and that is why you saw the fountain you described. But I think this point is obvious to you. There is good news and bad news here. The good news is that you had not "run" the engine so you should not have damaged your lower crank, cam, bearings Etc... The bad news is you will need to clean out the engine. It is possible you will need to pull it and take it apart.

My recommendation, (other members may have different advice) would be to start with the coolant in and out points from the engine and look at the gasket surface closely to see if you can Identify a leak path on the gaskets. Also in this process look for any cracks in housings, any loose or broken studs on the intake or exhaust, etc... Then the intake manifold. Remove it (and turbo if so equipped), If that looks good then move to the engine head and do the same. Take care of cleanliness and inspection. My recommendation in this order is based on easily re-gasketed surfaces if you happen to find your issue early. If you get to the engine head and do not see your issue at this point I think you will need to pull the motor. Me, I would buy a full engine gasket kit and renew it all, Send the head out for inspection and rework new valve seals resurface if needed that sort of thing. There is potentially more you should do at this point (like new timing perhaps new lower bearings Etc... based on the condition of your engine. There are other members on this site with much more experience with this type of tear-down. If you ask specific questions I sure you will get some answers.

My two cents for what it's worth.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts